Draft Decisions - and Bad Ones - The Cautionary Tale

RedSquare

Freshman
So, here's where I come down on all this:

ZERO sympathy for ANY kid who leaves early and ends up not where he had hoped, or deluded himself into thinking where he would be.

And spare me, the "financial considerations" nonsense. You are on full ride as a D-1 athlete at a major institution. You have all of your living expenses and education paid for. You don't pay for your shelter, food, tuition, etc., You get a stipend for spending cash so, God forbid, you want to take your girlfriend out for pizza one evening. (the NCAA can blow me, by the way).

You are not, in any way, shape, or form, a financial burden to your family under those circumstances, and you are much better off than all but the lucky few at your private university who will walk out of school with six figure debt. News flash: They are more broke than you are!

Can you buy mom a new BMW? No. But she doesn't have one now, and look where she got you on the back of her sacrifice, support, and love. You're no good to her or anyone else in your family leaving early with: (a) lower draft status than you could have otherwise earned a year later, AND (b) no degree. Can anyone say "joe yearby?"

How's he doing taking care of grandma?

And for anyone who says: "that's east for you to say, Mr. Yale Quarterback with the wealthy parents, your white privilege is showing." To that I reply: "I know that. I accept it, and I also know it doesn't matter." That's its own set of demons and issues, and doesn't affect THEIR poor and myopic decisions.

And by the way, my roommate grew up in the worst part of the Baltimore hood, with a drug addicted single mom, and having saw both his siblings murdered in the same drive by. Did his homework under his bed to avoid the noise of the fights and gunshots on the street. He still made it to Yale on a full academic ride, and now is a very successful guy at a VC firm. Probably worth $300-400 Million.

He would say I'm right. And if any of those draft challenged knuckleheads gave him mouth to the contrary, he'd beat them until they couldn't grow any more.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kids should stay if it will really help them get drafted higher but there are always extenuating circumstances and every case is different. I can't fault kids for trying to provide for their families even if it's not necessarily the best decision for the team.

Advertisement
So, here's where I come down on all this:

ZERO sympathy for ANY kid who leaves early and ends up not where he had hoped, or deluded himself into thinking where he would be.

And spare me, the "financial considerations" nonsense. You are on full ride as a D-1 athlete at a major institution. You have all of your living expenses and education paid for. You don't pay for your shelter, food, tuition, etc., You get a stipend for spending cash so, God forbid, you want to take your girlfriend out for pizza one evening. (the NCAA can blow me, by the way).

You are not, in any way, shape, or form, a financial burden to your family under those circumstances, and you are much better off than all but the lucky few at your private university who will walk out of school with six figure debt. News flash: They are more broke than you are!

Can you buy mom a new BMW? No. But she doesn't have one now, and look where she got you on the back of her sacrifice, support, and love. You're no good to her or anyone else in your family leaving early with: (a) lower draft status than you could have otherwise earned a year later, AND (b) no degree. Can anyone say "joe yearby?"

How's he doing taking care of grandma?

And for anyone who says: "that's east for you to say, Mr. Yale Quarterback with the wealthy parents, your white privilege is showing." To that I reply: "I know that. I accept it, and I also know it doesn't matter." That's its own set of demons and issues, and doesn't affect THEIR poor and myopic decisions.

And by the way, my roommate grew up in the worst part of the Baltimore hood, with a drug addicted single mom, and having saw both his siblings murdered in the same drive by. Did his homework under his bed to avoid the noise of the fights and gunshots on the street. He still made it to Yale on a full academic ride, and now is a very successful guy at a VC firm. Probably worth $300-400 Million.

He would say I'm right. And if any of those draft challenged knuckleheads gave him mouth to the contrary, he'd beat them until they couldn't grow any more.

Are u saying college athletes should not be paid for their labor?

Kids should stay if it will really help them get drafted higher but there are always extenuating circumstances and every case is different. I can't fault kids for trying to provide for their families even if it's not necessarily the best decision for the team.

I understand your point, but mine is: putting aside what may or may not be best for the team, in the long run, it's not even what's best for the kid.

Are u saying college athletes should not be paid for their labor?

I'm saying they have less access to outside (need based) financial support and resources than the rest of the student population due to NCAA rules. And I think those rules pretty much suck the big one.

Any kid who ain’t a guaranteed first or second rounder should keep grinding to get better while also focusing on getting a degree. If you’re gonna be a 4th rounder this year. Next year you could be a 4th rounder or maybe even higher cause you kept working. Or you could be a 5th rounder but you have a degree

Advertisement
I'm saying they have less access to outside (need based) financial support than the rest of the student population due to NCAA rules. And I think those rules pretty much suck the big one.

Exactly. That's why if a player is a lock to get drafted, he should leave everytime. Doesn't matter if it's day 1, day 2, day 3 projection. Only if he is set financially should he consider returning for a senior year.

Basically I'm saying it's their choice if they want to leave early. I don't believe in the "he should have stayed one more year" just bc a player got drafted in the later rounds.

Any kid who ain’t a guaranteed first or second rounder should keep grinding to get better while also focusing on getting a degree. If you’re gonna be a 4th rounder this year. Next year you could be a 4th rounder or maybe even higher cause you kept working. Or you could be a 5th rounder but you have a degree

I agree 95% with you here. Some of those kids can never leave those burdens despite being on campus. The burdens don't go away, and for some, there can be a feeling of guilt for leaving, for not being able to cure it all fast enough, or even for not making it far enough to make it better.

Trust me, it's a rough decision for some of them, but I do agree that there are some who may not have those dire circumstances but are left to make their own decision without being extensively taught on how to cope with unwanted results.

Advertisement
kids are getting paid..a top flight education....I worked minimum wage jobs to put myself through school...education is so expensive now, you can't do that....the U is what 60k a year now with board? Most of the kids would not even be accepted W/out athletic scholarships...where would one of these kids get a job that that paid $100,000k to pay the 60k after taxes/insurance, etc?

Each case is different but I don’t disagree with OP at all.

Joe Jax would have been considered a top tier edge guy going into next season. Provided he performs and improves, probably would be a round 2 pick at worst. How many millions did he leave on the table? At the end of the day it’s his decision and he’ll have to live with the consequences. He didn’t learn from RJ/Norton.

From Miami’s side, Manny needs to find a way to stop these 5th rounders from leaving. It hurts our NFL U reputation and hurts our depth.

Advertisement
Players depend too much on someone blowing smoke up their *** about how they will be a high draft pick. If you are not in the top 10 of draft picks, you are slotted as to how much your contract will pay. Except for the few that get a signing bonus, you don't get all that money up front. Get injured in training camp and the team drops you, your paycheck goes to zero. Very few have a guaranteed contract. Don't make the team and you better have a job lined up or you will have to let them repossess or sell that expensive car you bought.

Try getting a great job that pays well or at least has the option of advancement to a higher pay scale without a college degree. You can't afford to come back to UM to get that diploma. Statistics show those who have a college degree make more money over their lifetime than those who don't have a degree. I know their are exceptions to the rule, but those people are few and far between.

It's always been very easy to tell someone else to hang in there.....when you're not the one who's suffering

It's their lives ......and their choices to make.....NOT ours

Note that some schools don't have this problem..You don't think that some of their players want to leave early?.

So unless we're willing to do the same as they do.....let's let the one's most affected , and who has to live with the consequences of this decision... make the decision.

There is nothing stopping anyone here from supporting a player's family anonymously. Especially If they are inclined to do it as creatively as Clemson and Bama etc does..

Its always the ones that seek publicity for their deeds that get caught..

But may the wrath of God, and thousands of Cane fists, forever fall upon you IF you do it stupidly ...and bring any harm to the Canes

Last edited:

Since we didn't have anyone selected 1-3 rounds

Here's what our player's can expect IF drafted

NFL Draft Contracts: Rounds 4 -7
RoundTotal ValueSigning Bonus
Round 4$3,324,499 to $3,006,531*$804,499 to $486,531
Round 5$2,868,832 to $2,753,988*$348,832 to $233,988
Round 6$2,728,511 to $2,647,353*$208,511 to $127,353
Round 7$2,631,885 to $2,594,288*$111,885 to $74,288

Advertisement
Back