Draft Decisions — December 9th update

Advertisement
Did the madden analogy offend you or something lol

No, as I am not typically offended by the absurd.

My question illustrates the problem with your analogy. In Madden, you'd know exactly what Rivers is at center by just scrolling through positions and reading his new rating. In actual football, you don't know until you invest a significant amount of time and resources practicing and playing him at center.

Advertisement
No, as I am not typically offended by the absurd.

My question illustrates the problem with your analogy. In Madden, you'd know exactly what Rivers is at center by just scrolling through positions and reading his new rating. In actual football, you don't know until you invest a significant amount of time and resources practicing and playing him at center.
And we haven't had past practices where guys have been cross trained? We don't have any current practices to test that out? The top portal center from ND just committed to NCSt I believe.

Who do you want to play LG? You want us to also get a portal LG? We don't have any Madden rating to tell us what one of the current guys on the roster would be there either - except Jalen Rivers, and if we did that, it'd be the same situation at LT.

I really don't think it's crazy to want a guy who is almost certainly going to be an OG in the NFL to be our starting center. RIght now I am much more confident in Rivers at Center and the current talent we already have at OT on this roster, than getting a top portal Center, and the negatives that would also bring. Again, I personally don't even see Rivers staying at OT next year. I think we want Okunlola/Bell to step up at LT.

I don’t get the backlash on potentially moving rivers. I do think he gets moved to OG rather than center. His draft report is that he’s playing out of position and is really a guard playing tackle. We have tackles in McCoy and Samson waiting in the wings and no one obviously ready to jump into the interior

Thats for the update Pete.

What do you think the chances are Jalen Rivers is open to playing Center? He's played all over the Oline. And imo for us to have the pure best 5 on the OL it involves Rivers, Mauigoa, Cooper for sure. After those 3 it's a competition, but mostly among OT body types - who can also probably move to OG easily, but center may be a bit of a stretch.

So ideally right now something like:
LT: Okunlola / Bell
LG: McCoy or Kinsler
C: Rivers / Rodriguez
RG: Cooper /
RT: Mauigoa / Bell

I could see Mauigoa moving to like LG IF Bell is our 5th best olineman or if McCoy/Kinsler are just far better at OT. But I think the preference should be keeping Francis at OT.
Is Zion done with football? Transfer?

Advertisement
Rivers played great at LT, I would think we go into the spring knowing LT is locked down.

LT Rivers
LG Cooper/Kinsler/Bell
C Rodriguez/?
RG Mauigoa/Kinsler/Bell
RT Okunlola/McCoy

Obviously the biggest concern now is center.
Mario will portal a center I’m sure

Nice selling point with Lee coming here for one season and going to the NFL

Rivers played at an elite level at tackle this year and y’all want to move him from the pivotal position on the oline? Make it make sense lol. Having youngster fill in ala okunlola/mccoy or bell at left guard will be an easier transition than throwing them out there at tackle game 1 vs an sec opponent too

Rivers played at an elite level at tackle this year and y’all want to move him from the pivotal position on the oline? Make it make sense lol. Having youngster fill in ala okunlola/mccoy or bell at left guard will be an easier transition than throwing them out there at tackle game 1 vs an sec opponent too
“y’all” is 2 people - 1 posting and the other upvoting him - with everyone else 🤦🏻‍♂️

Because we want the best 5 on the field.
For example using like madden ratings, what if:
You have 5 OTs that are rated 74, 77, 79, 85, 86
You have 1 OG that is rated 86
You have 1 OC that is rated 67

Who are you starting and where? Picking the 5 best pure players is easy. But which of those 5 is most likely able to play center? The guy that is 6'5" 325lbs or the guys that are ALL 6'6+ 350lbs+? Now obviously maybe the player isn't as good at Center as he is at OT, but he can still be a big improvement over that OC rated 67, particularly when the guy that would replace him at OT would also be >67 rating...

Also Jalen Rivers is going to get drafted as an OG. Having OT experience is a very good thing for him. Having Center experience wouldn't be a bad thing either. Plus he seems like a very smart kid. It seems like he fits best among current players unless you want to just go with Rodriguez.

I’m not reading all that.

I’m happy for you doe. Or sorry that happened.

Advertisement
1. We absolutely do not know at all whether Rivers can play C. There's not little sample size, there is NO sample size.
2. Rivers has played outstanding football at LT, so there is no point in moving him from a position where he played well.
3. There's no point in switching him to the inside either. Unless you can replicate his production 1:1 (which is really hard to do), you shouldn't be making a switch.

If the staff doesn't have faith in Rodriguez, they're making a full-court-press to get a C in the portal. Keep the position as is and play McCoy at LG. Don't move players on the O-Line too much unless they absolutely suck at their respective spots.

Advertisement
Thats for the update Pete.

What do you think the chances are Jalen Rivers is open to playing Center? He's played all over the Oline. And imo for us to have the pure best 5 on the OL it involves Rivers, Mauigoa, Cooper for sure. After those 3 it's a competition, but mostly among OT body types - who can also probably move to OG easily, but center may be a bit of a stretch.

So ideally right now something like:
LT: Okunlola / Bell
LG: McCoy or Kinsler
C: Rivers / Rodriguez
RG: Cooper /
RT: Mauigoa / Bell

I could see Mauigoa moving to like LG IF Bell is our 5th best olineman or if McCoy/Kinsler are just far better at OT. But I think the preference should be keeping Francis at OT.
I really like Francis at OT, but I gotta admit, the thought of seeing that dude as a pulling guard is pretty exciting. He's the most athletic big man I recall us ever having.

I’ve seen it on this board the last time I was Here in my old stomping grounds lol. Just snooping around a little bit
It’s almost safe for you to come back more. Recruiting is looking up.

Advertisement
Back