Dr Lou Taking Shots at the U

Few remember but those ND teams actually had more kids arrested than Miami, and Miami had more Catholics on the roster than ND did.

Advertisement
314.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
One of the most insulting thing about that phrase, besides the fact it was racist, was that a lot of our white players were Catholic: Steve Walsh, Mike Sullivan, probably Barry Panfil, and others. I'm trying to remember all the white player. I'd gotten to know the families of those three from going to games, although I can't say I knew them well. I liked all of the parents. Barry Panfil's dad was a former NFL player who was involved in a blockbuster trade in the early 50's that involved, I think, RB Ollie Matson and a slew of other players. I can't remember the details. Mike Sullivan's father was wondering around the Hecht Center and Greentree two days before a big game, I don't remember which one, and was trying to get in but was turned away by security. He was an old-fashioned Irish guy from Chicago, people called him, of course, "Sully." Mike's older brother played for Ohio State and then went to law school in Ohio. Barry Panfil's older brother played OL at Purdue. Mike was very friendly and outgoing, a great natural interview, so the Chicago press loved him before our ND games. Of course, he had played in the legendary Chicago Catholic school league.

I hated that phrase, it was so insulting, demeaning and bigoted. They had signs in dorm windows fashioned after the old David Letterman Late Night symbol that said, instead, "Hate Night."

I discussed the problem of the Notre Dame students with the wife of a former UM player from the early '60's on the bus traveling to South Bend from Chicago before the 1990 game. I don't remember his name, but he and his wife were Catholic and from a middle class mostly Catholic suburb of Chicago. She told me the kids were spoiled in that area and that ND was a real popular school with the middle and upper middle class Catholics of that area. She said that the kids were raised to think they were something special. She said, "They all think they walk on water."

They're absolutely disgusting with their arrogance. By the time they were giving us a big fight in the late '80's and early '90's, it was as much black kids from poor backgrounds as much as Catholic kids on those teams. So much for the Fighting Irish.

By the way, I'm not as much of a Holtz hater as some of you. I think he's more of a joke. He used to call Jimmy Johnson to get advice on how to prepare his team for a big bowl game away from home. To me, he's always, Screwy Louie. I dislike the fans, their students and the people who run the university. The good priests who run ND were so shocked at the behavior of their own students they decided to cancel the series rather than indoctrinate their own students in the ways of tolerance, decency and good behavior. They took the easy way out. They're hypocrites.

Advertisement
Back