Down the Road: Brian Hartline as OC?

TC@ne

3rd party advocate. Anti-mope & anti-slurper.
Want to know people’s thoughts on a hypothetical situation where he becomes Enos’s replacement in 1-3 years. Wondered this before because he seems to be rising fast, and Omar Kelly’s tweet today reminded me of it.

Pros: clearly rising fast, his receivers produce in the NFL (Thomas, McLaurin, etc), he was a technician in the day, players respond to him, familiarity with Miami, isn’t married to particular offensive scheme, has low level assistants under him from the area that many of their South Florida targets give credit to for their interest in OSU.

Cons: possibly too fresh, no play-calling experience, we don’t know how involved he is in gameplan, very limited coaching tree.

More pros than cons, but the cons are BIG. However, some position coaches are the type to get promoted to coordinator somewhere else and he seems like one of those guys.

And if you like him but it sounds premature, what you need to see from him to hire him?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
There's a common trend happening right now where these young white dudes are getting hired with limited experience. And it's actually f*cking working.

Find me the next young white dude. Anyone know what Johnny Manziel is up to?

Advertisement
WR Coach is not necessarily where you expect someone to transition to being a strong schematic coordinator.

Advertisement
I don't want anyone from the NFL.

South Florida athletes can not understand complicated offense.

I want someone who came from the high school ranks. Like someone from the Gus Malzahn tree. Or possibly an air raid.

This pro style **** is killing us. Our kids are the furthest things from professionals you could possibly imagine.

Want to know people’s thoughts on a hypothetical situation where he becomes Enos’s replacement in 1-3 years. Wondered this before because he seems to be rising fast, and Omar Kelly’s tweet today reminded me of it.

Pros: clearly rising fast, his receivers produce in the NFL (Thomas, McLaurin, etc), he was a technician in the day, players respond to him, familiarity with Miami, isn’t married to particular offensive scheme, has low level assistants under him from the area that many of their South Florida targets give credit to for their interest in OSU.

Cons: possibly too fresh, no play-calling experience, we don’t know how involved he is in gameplan, very limited coaching tree.

More pros than cons, but the cons are BIG. However, some position coaches are the type to get promoted to coordinator somewhere else and he seems like one of those guys.

And if you like him but it sounds premature, what you need to see from him to hire him?

Whoa!

You saying we're stuck with Enos for 1-3 YEARS????

There went MY Christmas!

I don't want anyone from the NFL.

South Florida athletes can not understand complicated offense.

I want someone who came from the high school ranks. Like someone from the Gus Malzahn tree. Or possibly an air raid.

This pro style **** is killing us. Our kids are the furthest things from professionals you could possibly imagine.

You mean the same south florida athletes that have no problem fitting in to offenses around the country?

Advertisement
Back