dont care if baseball related

Advertisement
So, you are unwilling to credit the AD for the coaches success he didn't choose, but are willing to fault him for the coaches failure he didn't choose?
No. Lames has done enough inept things (such as letting Chumley stick around and not make changes on his staff) to hang his own noose. His job ultimately is to make sure the resources and leadership are in place for the programs to be successful at a high level. He lucked up on Basketball/Baseball so far because he's been hands off and they've gotten better as of late...Football is a whole 'nother story as we know all to well. At this point, his rise/fall will be what actions (or lack thereof) that Lames decides to take with the Football program.

Yes, that is exactly what you just said:
But, blue devils fan, doesn't success in basketball and baseball make our Athletic Director look good? Can you seriously say that is a good idea? University of Virginia Wahoos fan, do you really think the most important thing for the football teams future is to make Blake James look good, that this former university of maine ticket salesman is the guy for this job?
Maybe...but it's our job as fans to make sure that the BOT, Prez, and others know that the success of the Baseball/Basketball teams isn't to Flake Lames' credit, but to those programs themselves...that is, if they can't see that for themselves. The leadership for those programs were in place before Lames took over as AD. Their success during his tenure as AD isn't directly related to him at all, but instead to Larranaga and (begrudgingly) Morris.

So again, you are of the position that the AD doesn't get credit when we are successful with his hands off approach to coaches he didn't select, but is to blame for his hands off approach when we are not successful with coaches he didn't select? So shouldn't the lack of success in football not be "directly related to him at all" either? You maintain that the success of non football sports is influential on SOMETHING, but at the same time that football is its own monster and his success or failure hinges solely on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you are unwilling to credit the AD for the coaches success he didn't choose, but are willing to fault him for the coaches failure he didn't choose?
No. Lames has done enough inept things (such as letting Chumley stick around and not make changes on his staff) to hang his own noose. His job ultimately is to make sure the resources and leadership are in place for the programs to be successful at a high level. He lucked up on Basketball/Baseball so far because he's been hands off and they've gotten better as of late...Football is a whole 'nother story as we know all to well. At this point, his rise/fall will be what actions (or lack thereof) that Lames decides to take with the Football program.

Yes, that is exactly what you just said:
But, blue devils fan, doesn't success in basketball and baseball make our Athletic Director look good? Can you seriously say that is a good idea? University of Virginia Wahoos fan, do you really think the most important thing for the football teams future is to make Blake James look good, that this former university of maine ticket salesman is the guy for this job?
Maybe...but it's our job as fans to make sure that the BOT, Prez, and others know that the success of the Baseball/Basketball teams isn't to Flake Lames' credit, but to those programs themselves...that is, if they can't see that for themselves. The leadership for those programs were in place before Lames took over as AD. Their success during his tenure as AD isn't directly related to him at all, but instead to Larranaga and (begrudgingly) Morris.

So again, you are of the position that the AD doesn't get credit when we are successful with his hands off approach to coaches he didn't select, but is to blame for his hands off approach when we are not successful with coaches he didn't select? So shouldn't the lack of success in football not be "directly related to him at all" either? You maintain that the success of non football sports is influential on SOMETHING, but at the same time that football is its own monster and his success or failure hinges solely on that?
I'm not arguing whether or not Lames' deserves credit for anything. I never was. You want to give him credit for sitting there with his thumb up his *** while the Baseball/Basketball teams do well and the Football team suffers, go for it.

For the record--maybe he's been hands off with Baseball/Basketball because he realizes he can be because they're actually doing well. If he's taking the same approach for Football and hoping for the best...I think he's wrong. That's really my only thoughts as far as giving him credit for success/failure.

My argument was that we can use the success of the Baseball/Basketball teams as a stark example in comparison to the Football program to influence changes on that end as we all (pretty much) want to happen and agree should happen...NOT as some kind of barometer to measure whether or not Lames is failing/succeeding. My personal feeling that not getting rid of Chumley is a failure. I don't think I'm alone in that, nor am I unjustified in suggesting as much. And we can even go as far as saying that keeping his hands off the Baseball/Basketball programs so far has been a good move...but Football is THE main sport at Miami, as it is at most colleges across the country due to the money it brings in to support the other sports. Any failures there count a lot more against the guy if you want to actually keep score.

When Flake sends out another email asking for money/patience, tell him to make some changes on the Football side so they're not the redheaded stepchild of our Athletic Dept, and that we know excellence is possible due to the recent success of the Baseball/Basketball programs. That's my overall point. If you disagree and wish to argue semantics and try to put words in my mouth, then you're simply wasting both of our time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back