Donell Harris talks attending spring scrimmage, new ranking, and UGA offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Booker T. Washington DE and Miami commit Donell Harris had an explosive sophomore season where he recorded 22 sacks, which led to him landing on both the first team All-Dade and first team All-State teams. He received more accolades last week when 247Sports came out with their new rankings for the 2021 class, as Harris was named a top 5 player nationally (#4 overall), the #1 weakside DE in the country, and the #1 player in the state of Florida.

“It feels great, but know I have to live up to the standards,” Harris said on being ranked highly.

Harris has been a sought after name in the recruiting world for over a year now, but the Booker T. Washington star received another big-time offer shortly after the new rankings were released. Kirby Smart and the Georgia Bulldogs threw a bid Harris’ way late last week and the 6’4” 210 pound prospect gave his thoughts on the SEC power.

“I’m very excited right now about the offer, but I don’t know much about Georgia besides they have one of the best defenses in the country,” Harris said. “I also know about Nolan Smith, I study his film a lot.”

Despite the intriguing offer, though, Harris says he doesn’t see it affecting his commitment to Miami too much.

“It ain’t no problem,” Harris said of the UGA offer relative to his UM commitment.

Harris attributes part of the draw to Miami as being the other local commitments in the 2021 class, as he feels they are a tight-knit group that wants to bring pride to the city.

“We are really glued together,” Harris said. “Actually, we got our own little groupchat and we speak to each other on a daily basis. They are all great.”

The class got another chance to bond this past weekend when the Hurricanes invited a large amount of recruits to their spring scrimmage event at Traz Powell Stadium. While Harris and his fellow commits had a good time hanging out together, they also used this weekend to try and to add others to the class as well.

“It was an awesome experience and there was a lot energy from the supporters,” Harris said. “Also, it was great socializing with the current players and commits. We’re just trying to get players like Terrence Lewis to flip and get Corey Collier and Jason Marshall to UM. But overall the scrimmage was amazing. Can’t wait to get there and put that UM uniform on.”

When asked about how he imagines what it will be like when he puts on the orange and green and what he sees for his Miami career, Harris feels it’s better to focus on the season in front of him and outlined his goals for his junior year at Booker T. Washington.

“I just want to focus on right now, that will come later on,” Harris said. “Goals for this year are 30 sacks, a state title, and first team All-Dade and All-State. I know I’m the best DE.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Booker T. Washington DE and Miami commit Donell Harris had an explosive sophomore season where he recorded 22 sacks, which led to him landing on both the first team All-Dade and first team All-State teams. He received more accolades last week when 247Sports came out with their new rankings for the 2021 class, as Harris was named a top 5 player nationally (#4 overall), the #1 weakside DE in the country, and the #1 player in the state of Florida.

“It feels great, but know I have to live up to the standards,” Harris said on being ranked highly.

Harris has been a sought after name in the recruiting world for over a year now, but the Booker T. Washington star received another big-time offer shortly after the new rankings were released. Kirby Smart and the Georgia Bulldogs threw a bid Harris’ way late last week and the 6’4” 210 pound prospect gave his thoughts on the SEC power.

“I’m very excited right now about the offer, but I don’t know much about Georgia besides they have one of the best defenses in the country,” Harris said. “I also know about Nolan Smith, I study his film a lot.”

Despite the intriguing offer, though, Harris says he doesn’t see it affecting his commitment to Miami too much.

“It ain’t no problem,” Harris said of the UGA offer relative to his UM commitment.

Harris attributes part of the draw to Miami as being the other local commitments in the 2021 class, as he feels they are a tight-knit group that wants to bring pride to the city.

“We are really glued together,” Harris said. “Actually, we got our own little groupchat and we speak to each other on a daily basis. They are all great.”

The class got another chance to bond this past weekend when the Hurricanes invited a large amount of recruits to their spring scrimmage event at Traz Powell Stadium. While Harris and his fellow commits had a good time hanging out together, they also used this weekend to try and to add others to the class as well.

“It was an awesome experience and there was a lot energy from the supporters,” Harris said. “Also, it was great socializing with the current players and commits. We’re just trying to get players like Terrence Lewis to flip and get Corey Collier and Jason Marshall to UM. But overall the scrimmage was amazing. Can’t wait to get there and put that UM uniform on.”

When asked about how he imagines what it will be like when he puts on the orange and green and what he sees for his Miami career, Harris feels it’s better to focus on the season in front of him and outlined his goals for his junior year at Booker T. Washington.

“I just want to focus on right now, that will come later on,” Harris said. “Goals for this year are 30 sacks, a state title, and first team All-Dade and All-State. I know I’m the best DE.”

Stefan: Thank you for putting the spotlight on Donell Harris Jr.! This is a once in a lifetime player. Coach Diaz and the staff has to do everything possible to keep this tremendous talent at The U! Absolutely no excuses!!

Advertisement
Stefan: Thank you for putting the spotlight on Donell Harris Jr.! This is a once in a lifetime player. Coach Diaz and the staff has to do everything possible to keep this tremendous talent at The U! Absolutely no excuses!!
Once in a lifetime?

In a period of little over 15 years, we had michael irving, jerome brown, cortez kennedy, warren sapp, ray lewis, ed reed, sean taylor, edgerrin james, frank gore, clinton portis, willis mcgahee, bryant mckinnie, bubba franks, jeremy shockey, andre johnson, reggie wayne, santana moss, jon vilma, dj,, p.buch, antrel rolle, rumph, dan morgan, lang, holmes, dorsey, toretta, walsh, testaverde, medearis, et al.

what about all the other arrest that have been happening up there with non Miami kids?

UGA fans apparently don’t care where they are from.

It’s only a matter of time before a video comes out of a UGA fan decked out in gear yelling all kinds of racial slurs at the TV.

Once in a lifetime?

In a period of little over 15 years, we had michael irving, jerome brown, cortez kennedy, warren sapp, ray lewis, ed reed, sean taylor, edgerrin james, frank gore, clinton portis, willis mcgahee, bryant mckinnie, bubba franks, jeremy shockey, andre johnson, reggie wayne, santana moss, jon vilma, dj,, p.buch, antrel rolle, rumph, dan morgan, lang, holmes, dorsey, toretta, walsh, testaverde, medearis, et al.
And...? We also had many other great All Americans before the ones that you mentioned. However, it doesn't stop this kid from being a generational player!

Advertisement
shortly after the new rankings were released. Kirby Smart and the Georgia Bulldogs threw a bid Harris’ way

Lol didn't see the period in there at first

They did that on purpose to try and seem more relevant, donell has been donell way before the rankings, they late!

And...? We also had many other great All Americans before the ones that you mentioned. However, it doesn't stop this kid from being a generational player!
What it does, is highlight the silliness of calling a junior in Hs a oncein a generation player. We’ve had multiple MFL Hall of Famers in the last generation. How many ‘generational’ players cam you have in a generation?

Advertisement
What it does, is highlight the silliness of calling a junior in Hs a oncein a generation player. We’ve had multiple MFL Hall of Famers in the last generation. How many ‘generational’ players cam you have in a generation?
Agree on the overused terms of endearment lol.

But seriously, if using gaytor mazth you could have quite a lot. Could end up with a different 22 each game.

Advertisement
Back