Donell Harris (New Thread)

I actually think Harris re-classifying to 2020 helps us. I don't know if the other big boys will want to bring him in knowing he needs at least a redshirt freshman season + probably another year or two to fully develop.

Get him in, give the S&C program 2+ years to work with him, and see what he can turn into in a couple years.

Advertisement
Parents hold their kids back a year for a lot of reasons, especially boys, btw. And especially boys born in the fall - they will become the oldest in the class instead of the youngest. some kids need it for not just physical advantages but for emotional maturity as well. Not surprised Harris was held back a year.

Some states now don’t let you begin if you are born after a cutoff date. My sons birthday is 9/7 and we had to wait until the following year to be able to enroll him.

but bama doesnt talk to dad, but thats their number 1. idc that he isnt coming here, but the hypocrisy of this whole itnerview is hilarious. FSU is there (5-7 btw) lol

Agreed dad is a moron. Sorry to be blunt. He is living through his son.

I actually think Harris re-classifying to 2020 helps us. I don't know if the other big boys will want to bring him in knowing he needs at least a redshirt freshman season + probably another year or two to fully develop.

Get him in, give the S&C program 2+ years to work with him, and see what he can turn into in a couple years.
Sounds like he’s a take at Bama at OLB, but none of the big schools will take him as a DE right now. That could obviously change if some schools start missing on top targets

Where's the drama besides the posters posting? This happens all the time in recruiting to every school. You give up on recruits like this and many others like them, you'll be stuck with a bunch of scrubs. Right now, other schools are working out verbals just like we're working them. We also have had guys verbal, take that back, and later sign.

Too funny, you all getting worked up over this. The drama is here, nowhere else.

There are certainly many people here who are getting worked up and ready to slash there wrists but I'm not one of them. The fact that I'm ready to move on should be an indication of that.

The old mans interview coming on the heels of that Lawrence video (that was most certainly prepared before Paradise Camp) doesn't sit well even though "it happens all the time in recruiting". Granted, I'm not in that Harris' household knowing how this came down but it has the appearances of attention getting both to other schools ("look at me. I'm available") and to the staff ("I'm not getting enough love. You need to kiss up to me some more. Also, here a list of other things I want to see"). That's where the drama is. People like this tend to be high maintenance.

That's not to say a recruit shouldn't decommit if they're uncertain of their choice. It's a big decision for them and they should take their time to make sure they are comfortable with it. Letting the school know where they stand in a respectful manner sends a different signal to the staff that would make them even more eager to continue recruiting them if they are truly "elites". It would also provide them a dignified out if they decided to go else where. All too frequently, we've been left at the altar on signing day by supposed "solid" commits with as you put it "stuck with a bunch of scrubs" when we look at the options left available.

Compare it to the Elijah Roberts decommitment. They did it in a respectful way and performed their due diligence in evaluating their options. If others did it that way, knowing this site, there would still be slashing of wrists (LOL). But it would be, "why does this keep this happening to us" rather than "we're getting trolled again".

Moving on is more than reasonable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is the moving the goalposts game dad is playing. If we pick up communication with dad and win 10 games, there will be another stipulation we didn’t meet etc.

The hometown team you love should get the breaks instead of a list of 100 things we need to do to sign him. The other schools should be given the unattainable goals to sign his son.

As someone else said, we can’t have multiple 10 win seasons in the next season.

Last edited:
This is the moving the goalposts game dad is playing. If we pick up communication with dad and win 10 games, there will be another stipulation we didn’t meet etc.

The hometown team you love should get the breaks instead of a list of 100 things we need to do to sign him. The other schools should be given the unattainable goals to sign his son.

As someone else said, we can have multiple 10 win seasons in the next season.
I didn’t read anything positive about Miami and reading his dad’s thoughts, all I could think about was LaVar Ball.

Diaz need to pull the plug on this kid and his family. We not about to waste time on another Sofla diva that just gonna throw our hat down on NSD. This is TNM we ant going for it.

Can’t pull the plug on any of these top SFLa kids unless they are a convicted felon. But what we can do is understand internally that this kid is t coming and recruit other players (which we are doing). Under Richt we put all our eggs in on these players and that’s when we get screwed

Advertisement
Can’t pull the plug on any of these top SFLa kids unless they are a convicted felon. But what we can do is understand internally that this kid is t coming and recruit other players (which we are doing). Under Richt we put all our eggs in on these players and that’s when we get screwed

Exactly. Manny isnt going to just burn bridges but he isnt going to be sitting there thumbing his nuts late in the cycle like the last couple of staffs wondering what happened with these local kids

There’s no burning bridges. The kid has/has an offer, was committed. Now manny has to meet some unrealistic expectations when the kids family is all UM?

It will be we didn’t show enough love, etc. what’s “enough love”? Who bombards the family with the most texts and tells him how much they want him? At some point it’s ridiculous. Be an ambassador. Tell the coach “I’m coming, go recruit and spend time on other kids”.

There’s no burning bridges. The kid has/has an offer, was committed. Now manny has to meet some unrealistic expectations when the kids family is all UM?

It will be we didn’t show enough love, etc. what’s “enough love”? Who bombards the family with the most texts and tells him how much they want him? At some point it’s ridiculous. Be an ambassador. Tell the coach “I’m coming, go recruit and spend time on other kids”.

Didn't you hear?

The Harris' are the only recruit/family in the entire country who we didn't communicate with.

This has all the hallmarks for Transfer Portal in 2 years. We've recruited the DE position exceptionally well and I for one do not give a single **** whether he comes or not. Great player? Yes. Headcase who releases a top 35 includes Kent State? Yes

Gimme the grinder who doesn't have a lot of bull**** associated with him. I'd love to see us win 10+ and say "thanks but no thanks".

so why didnt he get involved earlier if the rumors of the mom running the recruitment are true? he just happened to get involved now? also, i cant imagine holding your kid back intentionally. that, imo, is awful parenting (again if true).

You’re calling this man an awful parent based on rumors? Really? That’s what you’re doing...Man that’s crazy. & he can hold his kid back..who cares? Parents do it all the time for a myriad of reasons. Why does it make him awful? You don’t know if the kid lacked the necessary tools to excel in the next grade & when he did, he reclassified him...big freaking deal. His kid is a 5 star player who has the grades & athletic ability to be wanted by most schools in the country. This dad deserves a standing ovation.

I don’t know when he got involved, the start, the middle or the finish..either way, it doesn’t freaking matter bc that’s HIS child. Maybe he allowed the mom & son to handle bc he as a fan didn’t want to influence the kid...I don’t know & I don’t care what the reason it is or isn’t. All I know is a father is in his sons’ life calling shots like a real MF parent is supposed yet you want the kid bamboozled by grown men coaches based on wack *** rumors.

Advertisement
You’re calling this man an awful parent based on rumors? Really? That’s what you’re doing...Man that’s crazy.

I don’t know when he got involved, the start, the middle of the finish..either way, it doesn’t freaking matter bc that’s HIS child. Maybe he allowed the mom & son to handle bc he as a fan didn’t want to influence the kid...I don’t know & I don’t care what the reason is it isn’t. All I know is a father is in his son life calling shots like a real MF parent is supposed yet you want the kid bamboozled by coaches based on wack *** rumors. FOH

ok and would you intentionally hold your kid back? again, all of it is based on speculation and rumors (hence IF true statements prefaced in my response), but to me it doesnt seem wise to do so. also, apparently since theyre getting divorced, the dad now became involved in his recruitment. either way, he isnt coming and i dont really care about the rest of it if he isnt coming to UM. u was also pointing out how he says miami isnt talking him and its a negative in terms of interest, but bama does the same, and it is okay and thats their leader.

Didn't you hear?

The Harris' are the only recruit/family in the entire country who we didn't communicate with.

This has all the hallmarks for Transfer Portal in 2 years. We've recruited the DE position exceptionally well and I for one do not give a single **** whether he comes or not. Great player? Yes. Headcase who releases a top 35 includes Kent State? Yes

Gimme the grinder who doesn't have a lot of bull**** associated with him. I'd love to see us win 10+ and say "thanks but no thanks".

We get left time & time again by top flight kids in this area but there’s no way this dad can be telling the truth right? Another top flight kid right?

Advertisement
Hegemon, exactly. Don’t care either way. I hope manny brings the family in, clears the air, tells them we want his son and what does UM need to do to land the kid. If they want 100k or want us to change our record for the last 5 years, wish the kid well and let’s move on. Tell them we’ll find kids who bleed orange and green and want to be canes.
The kid is probably a couple years away from starting or making an impact. Here or Bama. Does he have the frame to add 40 lbs in 2 years? Don’t know.

Anyone who thinks manny or the staff has ignored the parents is a moron. Our 5 star recruit from 2021 in Miami and manny hasn’t talked to the parents.

Like u said, the only parents manny hasn’t talked to. Doesn’t seem like manny’s MO but who knows lol

ok and would you intentionally hold your kid back? again, all of it is based on speculation and rumors (hence IF true statements prefaced in my response), but to me it doesnt seem wise to do so. also, apparently since theyre getting divorced, the dad now became involved in his recruitment. either way, he isnt coming and i dont really care about the rest of it if he isnt coming to UM. u was also pointing out how he says miami isnt talking him and its a negative in terms of interest, but bama does the same, and it is okay and thats their leader.

It depends on my kid, his education and/or learning environment.

Would I do it solely for athletics...no I wouldn’t but I’m not against it. We talking about 200-500k on scholarship money. That’s worth it imo. Parents send their kids to prep school as a means for maturing to further their athletic careers. I see no difference

It depends on my kid, his education and/or learning environment.

Would I do it solely for athletics...no I wouldn’t but I’m not against it. We talking about 200-500k on scholarship money. That’s worth it imo. Parents send their kids to prep school as a means for maturing to further their athletic careers. I see no difference

kid would still get the same ship this year or next, but yes there is a lot we dont know about their situation from an academic standpoint so youre right w that. the way i was brought up, athletics were never forced bc realistically, youre not going to make it where itll support you the rest of your life. you want a ship, go get an academic one. obviously, just my pov and doesnt apply to everyone. in the end, the kid will never have to worry about paying for a college education so hopefully, he chooses wisely and ends up getting the degree

We get left time & time again by top flight kids in this area but there’s no way this dad can be telling the truth right? Another top flight kid right?

He could be about EVERYTHING but the staff not talking to him once. Kids been committed for a year and every other kid, family, cousin, janitor, janitors niece, bus driver, flight attendant who handed family a drink says were family oriented and communicative but Mr. Harris the father of our most elite 2021 kid wasnt talked to?

Calling PILES of bull**** on that.....PILES

Advertisement
Back