Donell Harris (New Thread)

LOL;

If I’m being honest, I have zero issues w what Sr said.

I need u all to get out ur feelings and be objective. Sometimes we over analyze things from a fan’s perspective vs. dealing w reality.

His comments on bags was, “you don’t have to offer a kid two pennies if you’re winning.” I’ve said this all along. I know it’s been a while, but some of u mofos forget what it was like, recruiting wise, when we were winning. We were plucking blue chips out of state, and keeping blue chips home. Why? B/c we were winning, AND putting out 1st rounders. Like CP said after the 2001 season, all of his friends became millionaires over night. That’s attractive af to kids & their parents.

He echoed what many, logical, fans have acknowledged: Until we produce on AND off the field (NFL draft) we are going to strike out on highly rated players, consistently. He also echoed what I’ve been saying since I joined this board, stop offering cats who have no business being here. We went from a revolving gun chamber to a one shot pistol by offering a grip of 3 and low 3 star guys b/c we didn’t have the fortitude to go after the blue chips.

It’s no coincidence that after our 2017 season, our 2018 class was our best in yrs. After our 2018 season, our 2019 class was one of the worst. There’s a correlation between winning and attracting talent. U can’t go 7-6 and then expect to land blue chips. That’s law.

Furthermore, what coach is recruiting a kid w/o talking to their parents??! That’s more telling than anything! U gotta win over mom & dad. I’m in the insurance business, and my clientele is high maintenance. Every now and then I have to take care of their young 18 yr olds who wants to get their own policy. Regardless of how long I’ve had their parents as clients, this is their child. I gotta convince them that I’m going to take care of their best interest v. trying to make a new sale. And while my dialogue is focused on that child so they understand the legal agreement between both parties, I’m also making sure mom &/or dad r fully engaged and they understand where my intent is for their child. That’s Bible; so this kind of give us an insight as to some of the recruiting errors we’ve had: From Richt’s staff being negligent in their contact w recruits, stating “we thought u we’re going elsewhere” to Manny’s staff not fully engaging w parents.

So I’m going to emphasize this once more; Manny can do all the talking he wants, and it sounds good. Matter of fact, he’s put a bullseye on his back....now he’s gotta prove it on & off the field.

Advertisement
Donell committed to us in July of last year, between then & now he's been on campus well over a dozen times.

He knew we was 7-6 the entire offseason, he's met the the new staff & was committed until literally just 2 weeks ago.

Why didn't he reopen his recruitment in December after Richt stepped down? Why wait until now? The 7-6 stuff works if you're a new recruit that isn't familiar with the program & isn't already committed.

The same 7-6 team he decommitted from in June, is the same 7-6 team he was committed to in March/April, so what happened? Why come to the Spring game & recruit other kids to commit to us only to decommit a few months later?

I get what you're trying to say, but these recruits & their families always have every excuse in the world for why they can't/won't sign with Miami. My whole point is, it's unnecessary, they don't owe us anything & are not obligated to sign with us at all, so there's no reason for them to constantly carry on with this bullsh*t they be trying to sell.

If a prospect wants to go any program they want to, they should. All most of us ask is to stop dragging us along & pretending like they wanna sign with us so bad but just somehow find every reason on Earth not to.

Exactly. I have no problem with kids going elsewhere but don't talk down on Miami and try to tell the coaches who to take and who not to take. If kids parents did this in Athens, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, they would be unemployed. Stop letting ppl trash the hometown school. Everybody knows we were 7-6 but we were 10-3 the year before that year too. Its CFB outside of Bama, OU, and Clemson it happens.

At the end of the day I got no problem with the interview or how he feels.

But I'm just tired of this "we love Miami" talk, because if yall really do & are such diehard Canes then there's no reason to decommit & start actively trying to get to Bama, Clemson, UGA, UF & all these other schools.

The kids that wanna be here sign here, it's really that simple. Idgaf about all these horsesh*t excuses, nothing is stopping Donell from being a Cane, literally not one thing, all he has to do is commit & stick with it.

Why did Trajan Bandy sign with us? Why did Navaughn Donaldson sign with us? Or Jon Garvin, or Gurvan Hall or Lingard, or Cam Harris, or Pope, Wiggins, Hightower, Brevin Jordan, Will Mallory, Delone Scaife or DJ Ivey? Or Jeremiah Payton, or Keontra Smith & Tecory Couch, or Jahfari Harvey, or Sam Brooks & Avery Huff? Simple answer...
Because they wanted to.

There's no special stipulation or list of demands needed, if a player wants to be a Cane & they have a legit commitable offer, they'll be here. Did he make valid points, yeah no doubt, but that's all just used to justify what the real angle is.

El, this really should be up for POTY.

Ok so what about wanting to be developed? I mean we just look at “If you love your city then play for the Canes” when was the last time we had a 1st or 2nd rounder drafted off the D-Line? Kids shouldn’t care about stuff like that tho, just come to Miami.
Who have we had that would warrant a 1st or 2nd round draft position off the D-line? Willis possibly, but he fell for a variety of other reasons. If the players good enough to be drafted at that level come here, then we will have 1st and 2nd round draft picks off the dline. Who has UGA "developed"?

Additionally, this problem/pattern isn't just on the Dline, we see it all across the board, even at positions where we have had greater success in getting higher draft picks.

Advertisement
LOL;

I need u all to get out ur feelings and be objective. Sometimes we over analyze things from a fan’s perspective vs. dealing w reality.

His comments on bags was, “you don’t have to offer a kid two pennies if you’re winning.” I’ve said this all along. I know it’s been a while, but some of u mofos forget what it was like, recruiting wise, when we were winning. We were plucking blue chips out of state, and keeping blue chips home. Why? B/c we were winning, AND putting out 1st rounders. Like CP said after the 2001 season, all of his friends became millionaires over night. That’s attractive af to kids & their parents.

He echoed what many, logical, fans have acknowledged: Until we produce on AND off the field (NFL draft) we are going to strike out on highly rated players, consistently. He also echoed what I’ve been saying since I joined this board, stop offering cats who have no business being here. We went from a revolving gun chamber to a one shot pistol by offering a grip of 3 and low 3 star guys b/c we didn’t have the fortitude to go after the blue chips.

It’s no coincidence that after our 2017 season, our 2018 class was our best in yrs. After our 2018 season, our 2019 class was one of the worst. There’s a correlation between winning and attracting talent. U can’t go 7-6 and then expect to land blue chips. That’s law.

Furthermore, what coach is recruiting a kid w/o talking to their parents??! That’s more telling than anything! U gotta win over mom & dad. I’m in the insurance business, and my clientele is high maintenance. Every now and then I have to take care of their young 18 yr olds who wants to get their own policy. Regardless of how long I’ve had their parents as clients, this is their child. I gotta convince them that I’m going to take care of their best interest v. trying to make a new sale. And while my dialogue is focused on that child so they understand the legal agreement between both parties, I’m also making sure mom &/or dad r fully engaged and they understand where my intent is for their child. That’s Bible; so this kind of give us an insight as to some of the recruiting errors we’ve had: From Richt’s staff being negligent in their contact w recruits, stating “we thought u we’re going elsewhere” to Manny’s staff not fully engaging w parents.

So I’m going to emphasize this once more; Manny can do all the talking he wants, and it sounds good. Matter of fact, he’s put a bullseye on his back....now he’s gotta prove it on & off the field.
I agree with nearly all of this and I get It but it’s naive to think top programs aren’t out bags to some of the top prospects though just because they are winning, look at what uga and Clemson are doing... it’s quite obvious

Advertisement
Donell committed to us in July of last year, between then & now he's been on campus well over a dozen times.

He knew we was 7-6 the entire offseason, he's met the the new staff & was committed until literally just 2 weeks ago.

Why didn't he reopen his recruitment in December after Richt stepped down? Why wait until now? The 7-6 stuff works if you're a new recruit that isn't familiar with the program & isn't already committed.

The same 7-6 team he decommitted from in June, is the same 7-6 team he was committed to in March/April, so what happened? Why come to the Spring game & recruit other kids to commit to us only to decommit a few months later?

I get what you're trying to say, but these recruits & their families always have every excuse in the world for why they can't/won't sign with Miami. My whole point is, it's unnecessary, they don't owe us anything & are not obligated to sign with us at all, so there's no reason for them to constantly carry on with this bullsh*t they be trying to sell.

If a prospect wants to go any program they want to, they should. All most of us ask is to stop dragging us along & pretending like they wanna sign with us so bad but just somehow find every reason on Earth not to.
Exactly.

Can’t disagree with most of what he said. The biggest thing I picked out of that article is him saying he has never talked to a coach at Miami. I will say that my friends that got recruited were the ones talking to coaches and not their parents. Most parents only talk to coaches on visits. Was paradise their first first to campus? I know we have had turnover, signing day and other stuff going on along with this kid originally being a 2021 kid so it’s possible they weren’t recruiting him the same they would a kid in this class. If the dad wants to talk to coaches, then they need to visit campus.

Not that it matters but he also said that about bama. About not contacting him and going straight to the kid.

My take from reading it is this. Harris sr wants for his kid to play for um but he wants a bag. No other way around you dont say all those great things about us and then go and contradict yourself right after wards. If I had to bet he ends up at Florida as they will offer him a bag for whatever reason and Harris jr supposedly likes him
LOL;

Rell we can't be that selective our program don't ring bells like that anymore. We be selective and still get left with our **** in our hand.. I feel like consistent years of winning the coastal and winning that mess not falling into it.

Advertisement
LOL;

While I do agree with you to an extent let's not act like when we were winning there wasn't a guy named nevin Shapiro running out of the tunnel with our team. All the great teams in college football pay there top players and it been like that for a very long time

LOL;

"Furthermore, what coach is recruiting a kid w/o talking to their parents??"

He also said that about bama so I'm not sure what is going on there.....not tga tdd it really matters in the end.

LOL;

i highly doubt manny is willfully ignoring these kids parents. if the stuff about the mom running the recruitment is true and the dad not being involved, then manny likely didnt ignore the mom.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back