Donell Harris Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Here's what I wanna know:
how many of you keyboard heroes sitting here getting angry about these kids taking money and leaving would have the strength to not take it?

Imagine coming from a low income family in the areas these kids are from where you are happy if your family is able to pay the bills, eat, and make it to the next day. Then imagine you are lucky enough to have/discover a talent that is recognized by colleges which gives you the slightest chance or hope that you can go to the NFL and make more money than your family has ever dreamed of. You would do anything you could to improve that chance.

AND that's before these bagmen come and offer to move your family somewhere better as soon as you sign, get them jobs, and offer you more money right there than your parents could make in years.

Ya'll are saying that you would look at the cars, clothes, chains, money and say "No thanks, I'd rather play for the college closest to where I live for free. I might have a slightly lower chance of making it to the NFL due to the uncertainty behind that school. But it's cool because I'd rather try to make them better and not be considered a 'traitor' by those guys on the message boards."

No ya'll wouldn't. 99% of you would have jumped out of your chair and had the papers signed before your desk chair stopped spinning.

Dudes like Duke or Chaney (hopefully) that do that are special. The benefits and consequences of their decision to take or not take that money aren't just a recruiting class or win or loss in a college sport for their favorite school, it affects them for the rest of their and their families life.

So since Miami doesn’t pay, we’ll never get these type of recruits per your logic.

The top 3 rounds of the NFL draft is full of players from teams that aren't Alabama, Clemson, UGA, and LSU. A top player is a top player. Even players from Group of 5 conferences, and FCS, get drafted in the first round. This is about recruits looking for the quick handout and the easy road.
And none of them have been Miami Hurricanes in recent years.

But when u recruit the way we have with misses it leaves those other teams in the coastal with some good players or a few spots leveled with our...........Yea its about developing a bit but Sean Taylor was going to be Sean Tayloer anywhere in CFB thats my point. The Miami uniform didnt make him great he was great period. When we siugn plan c and ds and people soup that **** and we lose to a VT UNC etc. for example people cry about coaching but when u read here and believe that x player is awesome (that know one threw bags at) u get let down. Sometimes plan c and ds are almost the same level of player VT is signing then people wonder why we lose to inferior teams. Those roster are pretty close to ours and a team with somewhat pretty close in talent can beat us. I just think without the elite u cant win big i always believed that, part of what made me a UM fan was seeing those 2000 teams when i wasnt into CFB..............I would watch NFL games and say holy **** who is that he is a fuqin beast and those players stuck out. Its wasnt all development we hit on the evals andthose guys were hall of famers.
Our problem in the last 20 years has been 95% based on coaching. You miss on these studs in large part because they see other kids they KNOW are studs being misused and having their careers and futures damaged. If you see that as a possibility and you were a kid being offered quite a bit of money to any regular people do you really feel that homerism is the approach most people will take? If yall dont understand that you're just being fools. Talk about staying home all you want but that's not enough. If yall were working at best buy and Macy's offered you the same position but with a great raise would you not take it? Difficult to walk in a kids shoes if you cant fit them.

I'm calling bullsh@t on this. We never recruited and got a strangle hold on the "elite" talent in So Fla. The truly elite from So Fla were known nationally going back to the 60's. You can field a HOF all star team of Dade country kids that didn't go to UM. The first "national recruit" I remember getting was Lester Williams. The "State of Miami" was more of a goal for Howard than a destination that we've ever achieved.

The star whores forget how we made our mark. We're fortunately in an area with a large pool of three star and low four star talent. We became by knowing our home recruiting area better than anyone else, having superior evaluations, and developing them. That was Howard's, JJ's and Butch's MO. Once they got on top, they were then able to sell UM to 5*'s but they still couldn't get all of them. The last 15 years has proven until we return to our "proven formula", we're only spinning our wheels.
Thank God someone pointed this out! All this *****ing about elite kids and bags etcetera like this is a new problem. WE HAVE NEVER RECRUITED LIKE THAT... we dabbled several elite kids with tons of great evals. The problem has started and ended with staff. Whether its lazy evals or coach's and **** schemes misusing the kids we do have. I dont understand how so many football fans struggle to grasp the bigger picture. It's just annoying

Advertisement
Okay, hang on. It's not like these kids are stringing us out to signing day and then going somewhere else.

I'll have to disagree. These kids commit here and then kick us in the nuts at the most inopportune moments possible.

I respect what you and @DMoney are trying to say, but the flaw in this line of thinking is that the information about Miami didn't just suddenly come to light in the time since these kids committed.

Our 15-year performance drought versus the rise of these other programs has been well documented for over a decade.

The flaw in your argument is that you are expecting a teenager to act in a fully rational and logical way at all times.

I’m so ******* over recruiting it’s not even funny. There is no such thing as “commitment” anymore until the ink dries on the LOI. Everything is just noise and a game to these kids. Trolling in twitter getting false hope reactions from fan bases they already marked off, releasing top 12s while “committed” or releasing top 10s when realistically in their minds they probably have a top 3. I’m over it, it’s exhausting to give a **** about. Once national signing day comes, I’ll watch closer and be grateful and happy with the players who actually want to be here, not the pre madonnas looking for a cheap pop from a fan base & city they could give a **** less about. RESPECT MY DECISION!

I’m so ******* over recruiting it’s not even funny. There is no such thing as “commitment” anymore until the ink dries on the LOI. Everything is just noise and a game to these kids. Trolling in twitter getting false hope reactions from fan bases they already marked off, releasing top 12s while “committed” or releasing top 10s when realistically in their minds they probably have a top 3. I’m over it, it’s exhausting to give a **** about. Once national signing day comes, I’ll watch closer and be grateful and happy with the players who actually want to be here, not the pre madonnas looking for a cheap pop from a fan base & city they could give a **** less about. RESPECT MY DECISION!

I got to this same place about 2 years ago. Saves a lot of time and mental energy to focus on something else that I can actually control. It's always fun seeing who signs in December and February but other than that I don't pay much attention. Kids come and go and the coaches do the best they can with the talent that does come. Can't blame a kid for taking a life changing bag that changes the trajectory of their and their family's future especially with the last 4 nimrods we've had as head football coach. Hopefully Manny can figure out a way to change that......he's certainly off to a good start.

Advertisement
Thank God someone pointed this out! All this *****ing about elite kids and bags etcetera like this is a new problem. WE HAVE NEVER RECRUITED LIKE THAT... we dabbled several elite kids with tons of great evals. The problem has started and ended with staff. Whether its lazy evals or coach's and **** schemes misusing the kids we do have. I dont understand how so many football fans struggle to grasp the bigger picture. It's just annoying

My man.

Stop the Lavonte David's from leaving and all of a sudden we are stomping the coastal with good coaching and winning 10 games a year. If we had been doing that the past 15 years **** wouldn't be a bad as it is right now. We'd have a few more Duke Johnson's sticking every year.

"Dudes like Duke or Chaney (hopefully) that do that are special. The benefits and consequences of their decision to take or not take that money aren't just a recruiting class or win or loss in a college sport for their favorite school, it affects them for the rest of their and their families life. "

So since Miami doesn’t pay, we’ll never get these type of recruits per your logic.

I think we can get some, but I think they will be a lot more rare than we want. Just seems to be the reality these last few years... and it probably will be until (if we ever) reach the level of success Clemson currently is having.

Advertisement

Would you say it’s harder to keep a diamond in the rough so to speak, under wraps these days with all the recruiting services, social media, camp circuits, etc?

Not disagreeing that coaches like Golden or Richt have mismanaged talent. I think part of the problem is Miami started to go down when the internet, camps, and scouting services started to become more and more popular.

It’s difficult to keep a Rousseau, Garvin, or Harvey on the down low where the poachers, street agents, and bagmen don’t catch a whiff of talent.

I fully believe schools like Bama, UGA, Clemson, etc are letting the Big 3 do their talent evaluations for them in a lot of cases. All 3 schools are fighting the same battles. Fifteen years ago all 3 got their share. Sure elite guys would leave once in a while. If you look at the Top 10 in state players almost none of them sign in state anymore.

Would you say it’s harder to keep a diamond in the rough so to speak, under wraps these days with all the recruiting services, social media, camp circuits, etc?

Not disagreeing that coaches like Golden or Richt have mismanaged talent. I think part of the problem is Miami started to go down when the internet, camps, and scouting services started to become more and more popular.

It’s difficult to keep a Rousseau, Garvin, or Harvey on the down low where the poachers, street agents, and bagmen don’t catch a whiff of talent.

I fully believe schools like Bama, UGA, Clemson, etc are letting the Big 3 do their talent evaluations for them in a lot of cases. All 3 schools are fighting the same battles. Fifteen years ago all 3 got their share. Sure elite guys would leave once in a while. If you look at the Top 10 in state players almost none of them sign in state anymore.

i agree that if there is a diamond in a rough, its very rare now compared to back in the day. i doubt many kids go unnoticed with the amount of camps, SM, nationally televised HS games, etc.

Also another thing that helps contribute to this is this is the only high school culture I’ve ever heard of where kids are treated like mercenaries. It’s sad that they don’t have any examples of loyalty from Pop Warner - Through whenever their playing career ends. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be a two way street, but kids before the age of high school shouldn’t already feel like a product or commodity.

In general I think that’s a big problem in professional sports. For the most part athletes don’t have any loyalty to their franchise. You’ll never see another Stockton & Malone staying together somewhere like Utah, or a Reggie Miller turning down a chance to go ring chasing in the last couple years of his career to stay in Indiana. So the most visible athletes that these kids idolize are also mercenaries.

Advertisement

Bama UGA and Clemson can get involved with any recruitment in the country at anytime and be a serious contender. They win and they have plenty to offer.

Our staff needs to excel at identifying the 2nd tier talent and maximizing their development. We do that and we win big.

This is ABSOLUTELY a UGA move. There is no doubt. I don't think Coley has much reeling in to do.... This has been going on behind the scenes for a while now.
Coley lol. I laughed when UGA made him OC. Wonder if he will call any halfback passes in blizard like conditions?

You're right and wrong. None of that has to do with the fact that at his position we are dominant. If your stance is winning well than that cant be argued RIGHT NOW. It's a different level. But at his position and honestly any position on defense the only factor that can be pointed towards is the money... I've seen it for ever. Had this conversation with my parents when I was being recruited, plenty of my boys who have went through the same and now far more often with kids hitting me up and parents asking for advice. Kids we mentor and on and on. It's been going on for ever but I have noticed its alot more aggressive than ever. Us winning changes that narrative (which I believe we are built to do now) and the feds getting some cases under their belts in the football world (it's happening now just like with bball) itll make this all more competitive. Also some of yall may simply need to realize not every kid is built the same. Doesn't help to antagonize them all constantly like you'll guilt trip them in to coming. Just give them time and be fans to the kids that do come. Otherwise fans and sites like this will simply contribute to the problem by having far more access than they should.

With our luck we will somehow get dragged into it for no reason like with basketball.

The main problem is the handlers, bagmen, alumni are like ****roaches. You squish a few, but give it a year or two and it will be right back to the status quo. Unless the NCAA really shows intent with things like lifetime bans or show causes for guys like Will Wade or Sean Miller, exactly nothing will change. How crazy is it that the FBI has Wade on a wiretap talking about upping the offer, and LSU fired their AD for suspending him instead of firing him. That is almost on par with SMU continuing to pay kids after getting busted because they made a promise.

Clearly the kids are not going to say please do not give me your money, and about the only recourse there is the IRS saying you did not pay taxes on this unreported income. But that will never happen for a multitude of reasons. And honestly, I think things are way more sophisticated that unmarked bills at this point (buying businesses, gifts from charities, funneling money to charities, giving business contracts, jobs to relatives, etc.). Paying players is also not going to change anything because this would just be a bonus and way to circumvent the even playing field. Anyhow, I will be interested to see how they punish these schools with the alleged severe sanctions for 6 schools, because from what I have seen, it will be back to business as usual for CBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back