Doherty...I’m sorry what?

You all are overreacting like always.

People like Cooney, DVD, Andy Vaughn etc are the guys who will initiate first contact with players letting them know if the staff is interested & send to the coaches who then watch the tape & eval if they're good enough for an offer.

The coaches have quality control assistants & GA's who job it is to watch film & do the grunt work while the position coaches are handling their other responsibilities.

The recruiting department puts together events, keeps in contact with players & sets up UV's & OV's for the players, the coaches keep in contact with them as well & will evaluate their tape & in person camp performances.

There's nothing wrong with having the coaches be the main evaluators of potential prospects, it's a collaborative effort it won't just be the coaches doing it alone, they'll just have the main say on if the prospect is worthy of an offer.

This isn't that big of a deal.

This is like you being a manager and complaining to your GM you could do a way better job of you hired your old employees and then he gives you the power/responsibilities. Better be accurate my dude.

Advertisement

People like Cooney, DVD, Andy Vaughn etc are the guys who will initiate first contact with players letting them know if the staff is interested & send to the coaches who then watch the tape & eval if they're good enough for an offer.

The coaches have quality control assistants & GA's who job it is to watch film & do the grunt work while the position coaches are handling their other responsibilities.

The recruiting department puts together events, keeps in contact with players & sets up UV's & OV's for the players, the coaches keep in contact with them as well & will evaluate their tape & in person camp performances.

There's nothing wrong with having the coaches be the main evaluators of potential prospects, it's a collaborative effort it won't just be the coaches doing it alone, they'll just have the main say on if the prospect is worthy of an offer.

Boom

I've seen the full range of RCs over the years. In the early '80's, Suzy Wilkoff was our RC. I suspect she was basically an administrator, arranging visits and paperwork and so on. She did occupy a similar position at SMU before probation, helping to recruit the Pony Express (Craig James and Eric ****erson.) Still I doubt she had evaluation expertise.

We had guys like Dave Scott who was a baseball coach before he was a RC. Still, he probably had a better grasp of athletics in general than Suzy.

Pete Garcia had some personnel experience with the Dolphins but I can't remember if it was before or after he became RC. He might have been an intern or assistant in the recruiting office.

So, some of these guys had substantive football experience. I would tend to favor Manny's approach. Have the guys who will coach them evaluate them.

Per Latest Barry Herald article:

▪ One UM official said even though Diaz has prioritized local recruiting, he’s determined to land elite players from out of town. He also wants his coaches taking the lead in evaluating prospects.
Former player personnel director Matt Doherty, who was replaced by Andy Vaughn, had wanted to evaluate players, according to a UM source, but Diaz prefers the person in that role be an organizer primarily, with some other responsibilities.

Why the **** would he be doing Evals???
As ****** as Doherty was hes being set up as a scapegoat. He was involved in the first level of evaluations. This makes it sound like the buck started or stopped with him & that's an outright lie.

Thank God you bothered to explain it. I couldn't stand Doherty as I've said but that was horse**** how this moke Barry Jackson just tried to do him.

Advertisement
Thank God you bothered to explain it. I couldn't stand Doherty as I've said but that was horse**** how this moke Barry Jackson just tried to do him.

I’m glad you pointed out Barry Jackson.

Just because Barry Jackson is saying that’s how it was, doesn’t actually mean that’s how it was. Or he could be misinterpreting what was going on. People have to be aware that we’re getting this information through the filter of his own biases and stupidity.

One of the hardest things for an outsider to decipher, is how decisions are made inside an organization. It’s a complex process, with personalities and personal abilities involved. Barry only has a surface understanding of what was going on. Not too deep.

I’m glad you pointed out Barry Jackson.

Just because Barry Jackson is saying that’s how it was, doesn’t actually mean that’s how it was. Or he could be misinterpreting what was going on. People have to be aware that we’re getting this information through the filter of his own biases and stupidity.

One of the hardest things for an outsider to decipher, is how decisions are made inside an organization. It’s a complex process, with personalities and personal abilities involved. Barry only has a surface understanding of what was going on. Not too deep.
To be clear Barry Jackson is simply another moron grasping at straws. Dude goes off of info Peter gives him half the time. He dont know **** about ****. He constantly either makes **** up or gives outdated info

The fact that this thread has made it to 2 pages is already giving this way more attention than it needs.

What Doherty was doing here isn't much, if at all, different than the majority of schools do it. Y'all are acting like Doherty handled all recruiting and the position coaches just met the players on the first day of camp. There's a reason Alabama has 50 staffers. This is a year-round, labor intensive business. 10 coaches can't do it themselves, and they don't anywhere else.

Doherty's role in CFB is similar to what a GM is in the NFL. Also he was a scouting assistant for a couple of season for the patriots so it's not that crazy.

Imo it would be crazy to have a director of player personell who wasn't capable of evaluating players.
Agreed. For someone who was a position coach or coordinator, they have a lot more work and responsibilities so it makes sense to me.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Back