Does this program have a ceiling?

I wouldn't say anyone could win a title... Ton of teams have zero titles. The basketball championship is by far the toughest one to win of all the sports in my opinion.

Advertisement
I wouldn't say anyone could win a title... Ton of teams have zero titles. The basketball championship is by far the toughest one to win of all the sports in my opinion.

Basketball is easier than Football, because a team like FGCU gets a chance. Obviously there is a small chance they win 6 in a row and win a title, but they can. You can't say that in football. There are BCS conference teams that can go undefeated and not even play for a title (Auburn in '04). That's not even mentioning a C-USA or MAC or WAC team that goes 13-0. If George Mason and VCU can make a Final Four and Butler can make 2 finals appearances and come within inches of winning a national title, then I think anyone can win a title. Not saying anyone will, but anyone can.

Basketball is easier than Football, because a team like FGCU gets a chance. Obviously there is a small chance they win 6 in a row and win a title, but they can. You can't say that in football. There are BCS conference teams that can go undefeated and not even play for a title (Auburn in '04). That's not even mentioning a C-USA or MAC or WAC team that goes 13-0. If George Mason and VCU can make a Final Four and Butler can make 2 finals appearances and come within inches of winning a national title, then I think anyone can win a title. Not saying anyone will, but anyone can.

the football thing is mostly due to the BCS...the best thing bout basketball is that it doesnt matter where you ranked early on just on what your resume looks like and lets the play on the court decide which 2 teams should be there

the football thing is mostly due to the BCS...the best thing bout basketball is that it doesnt matter where you ranked early on just on what your resume looks like and lets the play on the court decide which 2 teams should be there

It was easier before the BCS for a team from a smaller conference to play for a national title, like BYU in 1984, but the deck was still stacked against say Tulsa or Kent State.

The floor stuff is a better question. While I don't expect to win a championship this soon, let's start by raising our expectations.

I expect coach to gradually raise the expectations of the program and he is way ahead of schedule. He will recruit better, he will develop better and as long as he has the drive (which I think he does) he will continue to raise expectations. I want him to start building the program (and he is doing it) and start raising expectations. The short term expectations would continue to be:

1. Make the tourney more consistently,

2. 9-10 wins in the ACC,

3. Recruit locally and get the best we can from South Florida/Florida, and

4. Make us more known nationally.

He has already exceeded expectations in the short-term. In year 2, he did something that very few have done (ACC Regular Season and ACC Tourney Champs) and I wouldn't have expected so soon. Miami will always have an advantage, while we likely never get the one and done players, we have the ability to develop talent and play more mature players (i.e. this season).

The ACC is only going to get better as we're adding good basketball programs (Pitt, Cuse, Louisville and ND) and no bad teams. It will become harder to get 15 wins in the ACC (out of 18 games) but by adding more quality teams, we will get more spots in the NCAA Tourney. Coach is getting us ready to compete against these teams.

Advertisement
Basketball isn't like football, because in basketball you can win it all just based off of one really great player

I don't know where else to post this, but after watching Marquette only score 39 points just ****es me off even more. That should have been us today.

I don't know where else to post this, but after watching Marquette only score 39 points just ****es me off even more. That should have been us today.

marquette is a bad shooting team all year. they somehow got real hot against us combined w us not being able to hit anything from the field. either way that cuse zone is ridic. its been on another level

Also with regard to SU, most teams have not faced or prepared for their zone before the ncaa, but Marquette had already scouted and played 'cuse this year

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back