Does this program have a ceiling?

Advertisement
I think that with the coach that we have, the buzz around the program, the recruiting we have going on, and the way the tournament works, there isn't necessarily a ceiling on the program.

Not to threadjack, but to me, the real question that concerns me is whether we'll be able to raise the program's floor. We're very unlikely to compete every year for the conference title, so that isn't the goal. But there is just no reason that we shouldn't be in contention for the tournament almost every year. Towards the end of Ham's tenure here, it felt like that was a realistic possibility. Since he's been gone, that's obviously changed. Hopefully with Coach L at the lead, making the tournament won't be some huge accomplishment in itself, and it will become a much more normal occcurrence.

Advertisement
I got to agree Coach Ham had to the tourney 3 straight years. I don't know if this school can win a national championship, **** I never thought I would see an ACC Title. I would like to Miami in the tourney every year so atleast we have a shot at the title.

It's a valid question. I don't mean can we get to a final 4. Butler got to 2. I don't mean can we win 1 title. I mean can we become at least Florida.

At least UF? Win back to back national championships and go to the elite 8 3 years in a row? So in other words be the best program in the country..?

It's a valid question. I don't mean can we get to a final 4. Butler got to 2. I don't mean can we win 1 title. I mean can we become at least Florida.

Honestly, I think it will be a pretty tall task to become a program like Florida. First, we'll have to keep some of those kids that have gone to UF from South Florida home. I know that Coach L is recruiting well, but we're going to have to keep local difference-makers from leaving the area. Second, they've had so much continuity with Donovan there. Coach L isn't leaving for another job, but for our program to reach the next level, we need him to stay for several years and keep momentum going. We're also going to have to face a deeper and tougher ACC, which is going to make it harder to reach where we want to go. Right now, I want to see us become a consistent tournament team, with teams that can win a couple games in the tournament and threaten a run every couple years.

Advertisement
At least UF? Win back to back national championships and go to the elite 8 3 years in a row? So in other words be the best program in the country..?

lol said the same thing in another thread. everyone on here seems to forget what billy d has accomplished at that place

Honestly, I think it will be a pretty tall task to become a program like Florida. First, we'll have to keep some of those kids that have gone to UF from South Florida home. I know that Coach L is recruiting well, but we're going to have to keep local difference-makers from leaving the area. Second, they've had so much continuity with Donovan there. Coach L isn't leaving for another job, but for our program to reach the next level, we need him to stay for several years and keep momentum going. We're also going to have to face a deeper and tougher ACC, which is going to make it harder to reach where we want to go. Right now, I want to see us become a consistent tournament team, with teams that can win a couple games in the tournament and threaten a run every couple years.

lol is not since forgetting "at least UF" won BACK TO BACK TITLES and been to 3 title games... we need to get to the final four or elite 8 first. i would say lets be at least butler who got to title games but failed. florida has won 2 titles. we cant start trying to be a team who has ships when we havent gotten past the sweet 16. lets start at being butler and get over the hump like they did.

One thing, besides the mess that happened with the injuries and illnesses, Marquette had been to the Sweet 16 3 times in a row. That matters. Their seniors had a been there, done that, aggressive attitude from the tip off. It takes years for a program to establish identity and put expectations into self identity. Imma let Coach L do his thing, and I think the posters above have it right. Let's put a floor under the program and raise the ceiling gradually. We have the necessary ingredients to be a basketball school.

lol said the same thing in another thread. everyone on here seems to forget what billy d has accomplished at that place

And it took years for him to do it with monster recruiting class after monster recruiting class.

Advertisement
I really believe Miami can be a regular in the NCAA tourney. I was surprised to see Gonzaga has been around 15 consecutive years. No reason Miami can't do the same, or at least on a consistent basis.

Florida is hardly the best program on the country. They've been at this level for less than 15 years. Lets not act they're Duke or UNC or Kentucky. I'd kill to be at their level but they're still a step below the elite overall. If they maintain this for another 15-20 years, yeah, then they are. And it has to start somewhere. Florida had a fluke run to the Final 4 in '94, but other than that they were not really a better program than where we were with Hamilton from 97-2000, so yeah, I think we could conceivably get to their level with the right coach (which we have now) and the right guy who follows Coach L, because he won't be here in 10 years because of his age. If we continue to support the basketball program, why not us?

Last edited:
Don't lose sight of the fact that the ACC is gonna be a lot stronger/deeper in the future with Pitt & Syracuse.

Advertisement
I really believe Miami can be a regular in the NCAA tourney. I was surprised to see Gonzaga has been around 15 consecutive years. No reason Miami can't do the same, or at least on a consistent basis.

Thats what I want, to work hard to be like Gonzaga..

Don't lose sight of the fact that the ACC is gonna be a lot stronger/deeper in the future with Pitt & Syracuse.

And Notre Dame and Louisville. But if we prove we can play with those teams too on a consistent basis, and we continue to get good (better) fan support, we should be able to have better recruiting classes.

If your talking consistent ceiling over the course of years, I honestly think our ceiling is perennial sweet 16 team with a chance to snatch a title if the circumstances are right. It's tough.

If your talking consistent ceiling over the course of years, I honestly think our ceiling is perennial sweet 16 team with a chance to snatch a title if the circumstances are right. It's tough.

Yes, not for one year, anyone can win a title (Butler was inches from one). I mean as a program, over the next 20 years or whatever.

Advertisement
Back