Does this make any sense???

This isn't really a good comparison. Clemson has a loaded backfield and tight formation with no one wide, so it makes sense that F$U is crowding the box. There also must be a safety deep that we can't see, because I only count 10 Semenholes in that shot. 1st and goal from the 6 is also a different situation than 3rd and 3 from the 6. Clemson can still get a 1st down in that situation.

I think the comparison is just fine. If our picture was a third and 3 instead, our formation would exactly the same. We dont' crowd the line on third and 3. So the down and distance isn't really relevant. As for clemson's formation vs neb's, you bring up a good point. However it really only applies to the cbs and who cares about them. The important thing to note here is the depth of the lbs and safeties. FSUs are in a real agressive stance while miami's are way back.

I'd have to see a shot of how we have lined up on a 3rd and short from inside the 10, with a tight formation like that, to be able to compare the two. The down and distance is relevant, IMO, because 3rd and 3, with a chance to get a new set of downs without scoring, could dictate putting more in the box, as F$U did. There's no question that F$U is in a more aggressive stance, but the different down and distance and tight formation calls for that. All of that said, I don't really doubt that our safeties and LBs would still be playing too far back under the same circumstances...so, yeah....there's that...

View attachment 25885

3rd and Goal. still looks the same

Uh, no it doesn't.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back