Does someone have a pic or video of this play....

5XNC

Senior
3rd or 4th quarter and they driving and running the ball at will. We have 2 safeties deep, right before the snap of the ball, one safety moves over in front of a wr and the other safety rolls to the middle of the field and starts back pedaling and is 25 yards down field on a run play. One of the announcers even questioned why we have safeties 25 yards downfield when we should be selling out to stop the run.
Unreal.

Advertisement
I don't have a snapshot of the play, but I have the answer for the announcer:

Fear.

U know which play I'm talking about? I mean, there are probably about 20 defensive alignments in any game we play that don't make sense. But this is one I'd love to hear Al defend.

Just covering the play action deep threat. Nothing out of the ordinary. We schemed that to take away their passing game.

Advertisement
And what is Al going to say different from the **** product we have seen the previous 3 years. **** dude wake the **** up...

This is the same ******* scheme we were running at Maryland back in 11'

U know which play I'm talking about? I mean, there are probably about 20 defensive alignments in any game we play that don't make sense. But this is one I'd love to hear Al defend.

I don't remember the specific play, but we rolled into that more than once.

Lu, there was a play and one off the announcers questioned it as I'm yelling at the tv.
Canesrdynamite, stop man. I know football and at some points u have to stop the run and sell out. If we get beat deep, we get beat deep. I can live with that when a team is gouging us for 300 yards on the ground.

Advertisement
Lu, there was a play and one off the announcers questioned it as I'm yelling at the tv.
Canesrdynamite, stop man. I know football and at some points u have to stop the run and sell out. If we get beat deep, we get beat deep. I can live with that when a team is gouging us for 300 yards on the ground.

I think he picked out the play where Dallas Crawford or Fentress rolled down (very late) and somehow got caught in the wash. They misread the zone-read and went inside to basically nowhere and locked up with a blocker. All the while, the play went outside for like 26 yards or something.

Wonder what Ice thinks? He needs to walk into Al's office and give him the old they just walked into your house and stole your remote speech.

I don't have a snapshot of the play, but I have the answer for the announcer:

Fear.

I think you're right. And what's crazy about it is that they choose to fear the possible, the "what if," rather than what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING, the repeated gashing.

I'll never understand it. They CHOOSE to be defeated by reality in exchange for protecting against possibility.

Wut??

Lu, may have been it. Whoever the safety was who rolled to the middle of the field was still back pedaling long after the play was clearly a run and not a pass.

Advertisement
I know exactly the play you are talking about, I was standing up yelling and pointing at the two deep safeties asking why the **** they were there when Nebraska was protecting a lead, running at will and it was beyond obvious they were going to keep running and picking up 5-10 yds a play

Lu, may have been it. Whoever the safety was who rolled to the middle of the field was still back pedaling long after the play was clearly a run and not a pass.

Haven't spoken to any player about it, but the best answer I've got is that, when I played Safety in Cover 3 (Sky or otherwise), I was taught to stay in my drop until I clearly read run or pass. Perhaps the Safety couldn't get a good look at the Zone Read and, in the interest of the most extreme caution (which we obviously play with), just kept backpedaling.

Just one guess. He could have also just wanted to go home a little early, which would be fair.

Lu, I get it, but at some point u need to sell out to stop the run. Or just let them chew up clock and yards on their way to another td. If rather make them beat us deep at that point. That, I can live with.

Advertisement

Sorry man. I'm a little bitter.

I have never seen an Al Golden team sell out to stop the run. All of the evidence shows that we are afraid of the deep pass. I don't know if it's a background coaching guys without the speed to recover, or not having instinctive players, or what, but we coach scared on D.

I think he picked out the play where Dallas Crawford or Fentress rolled down (very late) and somehow got caught in the wash. They misread the zone-read and went inside to basically nowhere and locked up with a blocker. All the while, the play went outside for like 26 yards or something.

It was like watching a video game glitch in Techmo Bowl.... Or stupid first gen AI in Madden, where the defender runs away from the play.

Only this was real.

I don't think I've ever even seen that in High School or even my 9 year old's flag football games. It's like the defenders were blind or retarded.

Think about when Sean Tayler said... he was allowed to fly around and make plays... well our safeties ain't doing that... both OC & DC has to go... I like Al but **** it man he just doesn't get it...

I can't wait until we play safeties 20 yards off of the LOS against GT to take away their passing game

Advertisement
Back