Does King have the option to pull the ball on running plays?

Canez1

OG
It was driving me insane watching King look like he had the opportunity to pull the ball with nothing but green in front of him after the D crashed down only to let the back take it into the teeth of the defense or immediately get tackled from behind. My hope is that the game plan was really vanilla last night both in the running and passing game. If not, it’s going to be another long season.

Advertisement
It was driving me insane watching King look like he had the opportunity to pull the ball with nothing but green in front of him after the D crashed down only to let the back take it into the teeth of the defense or immediately get tackled from behind. My hope is that the game plan was really vanilla last night both in the running and passing game. If not, it’s going to be another long season.
I must say after watching again, the DEs did a really good job playing 50/50 on setting the edge on zone reads. King must not have felt comfortable pulling and taking the chance. Whether that’s by design, or he wasn’t feeling it because it was an emotional game, or he really wants to show scouts he is really a QB. 450 rushing yards isn’t out of the question if he pulls the ball 10 more times.

Advertisement
Why do you think the play is called read option?

Malzahn has read plays with a lock call if he wants to take it out of the QBs hands. I guess Lashlee had those too since there were plays where the keep was obvious and he still handed it off.

He will keep it more in the future, I am certain about that.

Advertisement
Malzahn has read plays with a lock call if he wants to take it out of the QBs hands. I guess Lashlee had those too since there were plays where the keep was obvious and he still handed it off.

This is what I was thinking but just decided to post for opinions basically as a way to vent as a former QB.

Advertisement

I saw in some threads it was mentioned you don't want your quarterback taking as many hits in a game you should win so he's instructed not to pull it as much. Bigger games he has the option to pull it more.

If you rewatch the game you will see why he handed it off so much. Uab's game plan was to focus king on those plays. He had maybe a chance or two where he wasn't being focused on by whoever got let free

That game was a glorified scrimmage so yeah it was definitely watered down. The Canes will definitely gel and get better. I just want to see our backups get plenty of reps

Advertisement

Most coaches do.. They dont let the qb "read" every play that looks like a read option.. some times its an auto give regardless

I’m in agreement King was conservative by design. Keep him healthy and get everyone’s feet wet against an ‘overmatched’ OOC opponent. No need to run the entire playbook. Focus the running game on a few select plays. Let the freshman RBs get some experience.

Lashlee and King will need to open up next week. At least giving King the option to pull and run.

Advertisement
Back