does it mean anything that there were no blowouts?

storm1926

Junior
this year in the 6 games we lost, we lost by an average of 5.5 points. greatest point gap was 8 points.

2010 - 6 losses:
average loss was by 13 points; 4 double-digit losses, inclduing one 28 point loss, a 14 pt loss, a 16 pt loss

2009 (Randy's best year - 4 losses):
ave. loss by 10.5 points. only one double-digit loss in a game we lost by 24 pts

2008 - 6 losses:
ave. loss by 9.5 pts. three double-digit losses, including one 23 point loss and an 18 point loss.

2007 - 7 losses:
average loss = more than 20 points. 4 double digit losses, including a 38 point blowout, a 48 point blowout, and a 30 point blowout.

it is significant that we had no blowouts this year, or is it meaningless?

Advertisement
definetly means we have improved even though the record trys to say otherwise

this year in the 6 games we lost, we lost by an average of 5.5 points. greatest point gap was 8 points.

2010 - 6 losses:
average loss was by 13 points; 4 double-digit losses, inclduing one 28 point loss, a 14 pt loss, a 16 pt loss

2009 (Randy's best year - 4 losses):
ave. loss by 10.5 points. only one double-digit loss in a game we lost by 24 pts

2008 - 6 losses:
ave. loss by 9.5 pts. three double-digit losses, including one 23 point loss and an 18 point loss.

2007 - 7 losses:
average loss = more than 20 points. 4 double digit losses, including a 38 point blowout, a 48 point blowout, and a 30 point blowout.

it is significant that we had no blowouts this year, or is it meaningless?

No it doesn't. Losing by 7 with our schemes is like getting blown out.

Our Defense keeps the other teams offense on the field in exchange for shortening the game.

Advertisement
I think it definitely means that from a mental standpoint we improved tons. We didn't give up in one game this season, which says a lot I think.

I think it definitely means something. We've gone from a team that would throw in the towel to a team that fights to the end. I thought for sure VTech was a blowout when it was 21-7.

Now the team has to learn how to finish games.

Here's something else to consider. Despite losing more players to the NFL than any team in the nation:

scoring offense: 26.3 ppg
scoring defense: 20.7 ppg

scoring offense: 26.5 ppg
score defense: 20.1 ppg

Not bad with a new staff and new schemes.

Advertisement
Means the staff has these kids playing hard every game and not ever giving up. Exact opposite of the past few years. Definitely means something.

It means that Golden can get a team ready to play through motivational tactics and other rah-rah stuff. Game preparation and game-day coaching/adjustments is a completely different story.

Advertisement
I think it definitely means that from a mental standpoint we improved tons. We didn't give up in one game this season, which says a lot I think.

I agree. The team never gave up in games. It's a very positive sign.

That's what is most important. The kids coming in are Al's kids with the right mentality & attitude, those not shown the door between now & next August understand the culture he is breeding and know that if they don't buy in, they will be left out.

I think when he cuts some of the highly touted kids from Shannon's era, it will be a come to Jesus moment for some players.

Its a good sign and one that goes directly to coaching, both in scheme and motivation.

During Randys 1st couple years we lost big because we had holes in the talent level. During Randys last two years we lost big because Randy has lost the ability to motivate the team.

This year, our team had a talent disadvantage in nearly half of its games and we got blown in none of them.

Advertisement
It means that Golden can get a team ready to play through motivational tactics and other rah-rah stuff. Game preparation and game-day coaching/adjustments is a completely different story.
Dead on ,the coaches make no adjustments.

I think it shows the team is/will play harder and wont quit under Golden.

There was never a game where it looked like to me the team quit.

I think the game that impressed me the most was at VT. Getting absolutely beat down in the beginning. A Blandy lead team would have folded up shop and gotten blown out by 30, but we hung in there and if our defense wasn't so putrid would have actually won that game.

I think it shows the team is/will play harder and wont quit under Golden.

There was never a game where it looked like to me the team quit.

I think the game that impressed me the most was at VT. Getting absolutely beat down in the beginning. A Blandy lead team would have folded up shop and gotten blown out by 30, but we hung in there and if our defense wasn't so putrid would have actually won that game.

This, and hopefully, when we actually have good players we will win these games, and blow teams out in our victories.

Advertisement
Back