Off-Topic Does God actually exist?

Hopefully you did not accidentally burn you bible and can get back to me on this request. Really curious where you get biblical support that God answers only born again Christians. Job and Abraham are wondering about that too!

I have not burned my Bible. Job and Abraham according to Old Testament were believers, God’s people. I haven’t reread my original message, but if I did say born again believers I certainly misspoke.

There is general grace. There is specific grace. Rain on your farm and mine. Both believer and non believer benefit from the rain. Specific grace, when you were dead in your sins, the Holy Spirit regenerated your heart so that you could see clearly. You responded after you were regenerated spiritually. Dead people spiritually cannot do anything but act as sinners.

God isn’t answering anyones prayers but His people in His time.

Crazy right? The Bible teaches that.

Advertisement
I have not burned my Bible. Job and Abraham according to Old Testament were believers, God’s people. I haven’t reread my original message, but if I did say born again believers I certainly misspoke.

There is general grace. There is specific grace. Rain on your farm and mine. Both believer and non believer benefit from the rain. Specific grace, when you were dead in your sins, the Holy Spirit regenerated your heart so that you could see clearly. You responded after you were regenerated spiritually. Dead people spiritually cannot do anything but act as sinners.

Crazy right? The Bible teaches that.

It is true the Bible teaches general grace like you say. There are specific verses you can allude to to justify this.

I think the other part might be colored by your own experience with particular doctrinal/denominational teaching that may or may not be biblical.

If you are dead in your sins and you acknowledge this and reach out to God knowing this, was it the Holy Spirit acting on you unconditionally or was it your own realization of your condition and desire that reached out?

I sense a bit of Calvinism in your response but I could be mistaken.

It is true the Bible teaches general grace like you say. There are specific verses you can allude to to justify this.

I think the other part might be colored by your own experience with particular doctrinal/denominational teaching that may or may not be biblical.

If you are dead in your sins and you acknowledge this and reach out to God knowing this, was it the Holy Spirit acting on you unconditionally or was it your own realization of your condition and desire that reached out?

I sense a bit of Calvinism in your response but I could be mistaken.

Just so ya know, ugly word alert, imho Calvinism is biblical. We can absolutely agree to disagree about the biblical-ness of Calvinism or not. The Westminster Confession of Faith is a great read. https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/westminster-confession-faith

Advertisement
Just so ya know, ugly word alert, imho Calvinism is biblical. We can absolutely agree to disagree about the biblical-ness of Calvinism or not. The Westminster Confession of Faith is a great read. https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/westminster-confession-faith

And what makes this confession authoritative to you?

I asked for verses not for a 17th century document of some else’s interpretation of scripture.

I am not a Calvinist. I consider myself a Christian in the general sense. I don’t get bogged down in doctrinal squabbles that only serve to divide Christians.

Point to some scriptures.

You aren’t a Calvinist because you do not think it is biblical, right?
I am a Calvinist and think it is biblical. It’s like the pro life thing for you. It is black and white. Life begins, and that’s it. No abortions allowed. Save the mothers life being in jeopardy, perhaps. My point is that I could point out different passages that support the idea of total depravity of man. I’d guess you have seen them before and simply think it is a misinterpretation. Right?

As far as authoritative, the WCF is not the Bible. The Bible is superior to the WCF. It just organizes different subjects within Christendom and gives an explanation.

I am a Calvinist and think it is biblical. It’s like the pro life thing for you. It is black and white. Life begins, and that’s it. No abortions allowed. Save the mothers life being in jeopardy, perhaps. My point is that I could point out different passages that support the idea of total depravity of man. I’d guess you have seen them before and simply think it is a misinterpretation. Right?

As far as authoritative, the WCF is not the Bible. The Bible is superior to the WCF. It just organizes different subjects within Christendom and gives an explanation.
I can’t get past the part where you affirm that you’re a Calvinist…but you don’t really believe in God and don’t believe the Bible is the word of God (since you don’t believe in God).

It’s…odd.

I know we’ve been over this before, but still.

I can understand why you can’t hold Calvinism and belief in a just and loving God. I just can’t understand why you choose to jettison God and not Calvinism? Or end up giving up both? It’s like you can’t believe in Calvinism so therefore I can’t believe in God.

That just seems so extreme and irrational.

But I keep asking for you to show me verses. You haven’t yet. Not saying there are not verses that may be problematic but Calvinism is not even a majority position among Christianity (about 3%?). That should tell you something.

Advertisement
I can understand why you can’t hold Calvinism and belief in a just and loving God. I just can’t understand why you choose to jettison God and not Calvinism? Or end up giving up both? It’s like you can’t believe in Calvinism so therefore I can’t believe in God.

That just seems so extreme and irrational.

But I keep asking for you to show me verses. You haven’t yet. Not saying there are not verses that may be problematic but Calvinism is not even a majority position among Christianity (about 3%?). That should tell you something.

I’ve been enjoying Florida Man and I burned a plant😜 I’ll get ya the verses later.

Attachments

• 26071702-7378-4471-B130-BBB9A174D43B.jpeg
    26071702-7378-4471-B130-BBB9A174D43B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
I can’t get past the part where you affirm that you’re a Calvinist…but you don’t really believe in God and don’t believe the Bible is the word of God (since you don’t believe in God).

It’s…odd.

I know we’ve been over this before, but still.

I don’t believe in a personal God. Calvinism reasonates with me biblically. Clearly pouring water with the effect being a sprinkle is biblical baptism. But Baptist’s think you should dunk know what I mean?

I don’t believe in a personal God. Calvinism reasonates with me biblically. Clearly pouring water with the effect being a sprinkle is biblical baptism. But Baptist’s think you should dunk know what I mean?
I’m not a Baptist, but the word means immersion, not Sprinkling. So, no, biblically speaking, that’s not baptism.

Advertisement
I had a Near Death Experience, just like the tens of thousands of fully documented NDE cases and thousands of NDE Experiencers who have posted there NDE Experience on Youtube. The NDE Experience is VERY real and approximately one third of NDE Experiencers have an encounter with "GOD", who appears in many forms to make the NDE experiencer comfortable. The majority of the time GOD appears as pure energy. However, for a Christian it can appear as Jesus, for a Buddhist as Buddha, for a Muslem as Mohammed. There was a case of a ****** lady who had 2 rabbis that appeared to her. All communication is telepathic. Approximately out of of four has a Life Review, where GOD shows you the good and bad you did in your live. GOD does not judge you, you judge yourself. I highly recommend that you read the book by one of the major NDE researchers in the world, Dr. Jeffrey Long. He has been collecting NDE surveys for more than 20 years and has over 10,000 cases. His lates book is titled "GOD and the Afterlife". This is his website: https://www.nderf.org/

So my answer to your initial question is: Yes, but not a religious GOD-- GOD is much more complicated and much more benevolent than the biblical version, which is just one of thousands of religions known to humanity-- where most religions claim that only "their own religion" is correct and all the others will burn in hill. These are man-made stories. If you want to learn about GOD, ask the people that died and came back to life.

hear the prayers of the wicked. In Jeremiah 14:11–12, for example, we read: “The Lord said to me: ‘Do not pray for the welfare of this people. Though they fast, I will not hear their cry, and though they offer burnt offering and grain offering, I will not accept them.’ ” Proverbs 28:9tells us that the prayer of a lawless man “is an abomination.” Over and over we read that God does not listen to the prayers of the wicked (e.g., Ps. 66:18; Prov. 21:13; Isa. 1:15; Jer. 11:11–14). What does this mean? Is God not omniscient? Does He not know all things? Of course He does. Scripture tells us that God knows all things and that no creature is hidden from His sight (Heb. 4:13). God knows every thought in our minds (1 Chron. 28:9), and He knows the words we are going to say even before we speak them (Ps. 139:4).
How, then, can the Bible also say that He does not hear the prayers of the wicked? In order to understand what Scripture is saying, let us first consider Isaiah 59:1–2. Here, the prophet writes: “Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save, or his ear dull, that it cannot hear; but your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear” (emphasis added). The prophet affirms that God can hear. In other words, God is omniscient. He can hear the prayers of the wicked in the sense that He knows that they are praying, and He knows what they are praying. God is omniscient.

However, Isaiah then immediately turns to note that the problem is not God’s omniscience. The problem is the wickedness of the ones praying. Because of their wickedness, “he does not hear.” What this means is that God is not going to listen to those who flout His law. As Zechariah makes clear, “As I called, and they would not hear, so they called, and I would not hear” (7:13). If unbelievers persist in wickedness, God will not grant their requests. They pray in vain.
There is one prayer that a wicked person can pray, however, that will be heard by God. It is the prayer of repentance. We see an example of this in 1 Kings 21:17–29. Here God condemns the wicked king Ahab (vv. 17–24). Upon hearing the words of judgment, Ahab repents in sackcloth (v. 27). The Lord sees his repentance and declares that the judgment will fall on Ahab’s descendants rather than on Ahab himself (vv. 28–29). Consider also the repentance of the Ninevites described in the book of Jonah. When the king of Nineveh heard the words of the prophet, he and the people repented, and God relented (Jonah 3:1–10). God knows and hears all things, but the only prayer of the wicked to which He will listen is a prayer of genuine repentance.
Dr. Keith A. Mathison is professor of systematic theology at Reformation Bible College in Sanford, Fla. He is author of several books, including The Lord’s Supper and From Age to Age.

Advertisement
What say you? God yes or no? If yes, Personal God or nah? If no, what/how?
Imur,
A person's religious beliefs are determined to a degree by his parents/family and to another degree by the society he is a part of (geography). That is indisputable.

Very few of us can honestly say we decided to join our 1st religion on our own. It's not like worldwide everyone goes to a religious buffet and selects his choice. You are heavily influenced by outside factors. As your knowledge and independence grows, questions can arise and sometimes your awareness of other options increases.

If you were having this same discussion in Arabia you'd have most people saying Yes Allah exists, a few quietly saying they don't know or don't believe and zealots pointing to the Koran as the indisputable final word on any subject.

I really don't care what anyone else believes. Religion or non-belief is personal and should not be up for debate. Lots of religions have holy books. Also, we all also know that different people can read the same paragraph and interpret it completely differently based on their life experiences and motives.

So whose source, book and interpretation is correct?? I don't know and regardless of anyone's opinion neither do they. They only have faith in whatever they believe, backed by whatever book (Dianetics, Bible, Torah, Koran, Book of Mormon etc etc ) that his religion promotes and swears by, not actual proof.

So whose religion and book is correct?? No matter what you believe...we'll all find out what's really true at the same time.

So what's to discuss? Whatever you believe or don't believe you cannot prove it to the point of certainty that will make EVERYONE else say " YES, now that's indisputably and without any doubt a fact"

So whatever you believe, go ahead and believe it. It's your choice. Just be and do good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back