Off-Topic Does God actually exist?

My mom taught Sunday school growing up and I'm a confirmed Catholic, but after my confirmation I quickly drifted away from any and all religious activities because I was pretty certain I was just spinning my wheels.

Since then, the only thing that has made me think twice about the existence of God was reading Proof of Heaven, by Eben Alexander. Great read, and although I believe it stirred up a fair amount of controversy, it did give me some hope that maybe there is a greater power.
You were.

Advertisement
You were.

I love the hedging of bets though. LOL. Like whatever doubts and fears a person has, well they aren't fooling god. They can be so naive to think saying a prayer to be saved is sufficient. Ironically the ole alter call and prayer of salvation are not found in the Bible. I digress.

Does a personified Deity that weighs & judges the morality of decisions made by humans exist?

Maybe...

Does an all-encompassing source of creation for the knowable universe exist?

I definitely believe so.

The question of God’s existence is simply based on how you define God.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Does a personified Deity that weighs & judges the morality of decisions made by humans exist?

Maybe...

Does an all-encompassing source of creation for the knowable universe exist?

I definitely believe so.

The question of Gods existence is simply based on how you define God.

I like your take. Energy is neither created nor destroyed . . . in a sense, perhaps we are all a god. Our energy connects and binds us in ways flesh and bones cannot. I believe in that ultimate source of energy as perhaps the winder upper of the clock we call life.

I like your take. Energy is neither created nor destroyed . . . in a sense, perhaps we are all a god. Our energy connects and binds us in ways flesh and bones cannot. I believe in that ultimate source of energy as perhaps the winder upper of the clock we call life.
Just sharing brother,

Us thinking we are Gods is what original sin makes us think .
Everything in this world will rot away as society is rotting as we know it’s because we think we are Gods and know better.
So Christ gave us free will because we chose the snake at the tree instead of choosing I’AM.

We’ll how are all the Gods doing in this world?

We have no idea what power is in any way shape or form , we only know what our mortal mind can handle.

There is only one Alpha and Omega the living Revelation Jesus till we recognize that , we’ll continue to have the calamity and the BATTLE OF GODS WE THINK WE ARE FOR SUPREMACY FEEDING ON EACH OTHER EATING OUR OWN.

Advertisement
I love the hedging of bets though. LOL. Like whatever doubts and fears a person has, well they aren't fooling god. They can be so naive to think saying a prayer to be saved is sufficient. Ironically the ole alter call and prayer of salvation are not found in the Bible. I digress.
^Finally, something upon which you and I agree.

People don’t realize that what their priest/pastor/preacher, etc. has been telling them for years and years is NOT what the Bible actually teaches.

Here’s what it DOES say:

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:36-38).

Yes, ontologically speaking, God must exist. The definition of God assumes that He is the greatest in existence, and nothing greater than He exists, hence why He is called God and nothing/no one else is. But if this "greatest in existence" did not exist, then He would not be "the greatest" since something that exists would be greater than He. Therefore, the being of God must exist since He's the greatest being in existence.
Now, determining which God exists is a different story (as a Christian I believe the God of the Scriptures is the one true God). But ontologically speaking, God does exist. He must.

Bad news alert! Biblically speaking, if when you made those prayers you were not born again, God didn’t hear your prayers. So either someone else’s prayer got through, you are born again, or the god of Bible didn’t answer your prayer.

Where do you get this stuff, imurcane?

Yes, ontologically speaking, God must exist. The definition of God assumes that He is the greatest in existence, and nothing greater than He exists, hence why He is called God and nothing/no one else is. But if this "greatest in existence" did not exist, then He would not be "the greatest" since something that exists would be greater than He. Therefore, the being of God must exist since He's the greatest being in existence.
Now, determining which God exists is a different story (as a Christian I believe the God of the Scriptures is the one true God). But ontologically speaking, God does exist. He must.

St. Anselm’s ontological argument is pretty clever.

Advertisement
Though not a proof William Lane Craig’s cosmological argument is pretty tight logically speaking:

1.Everything that begins to exist has a cause.

2. The universe began to exist.

3. The universe has a cause.

Of course, this is theologically neutral because you can argue that prior to the universe you may have had some quantum state that gave rise to the current universe.

However, there is still good reason that the quantum state wasn’t there eternally either so it only pushes back the beginning a little bit further. You are still left with an absolute beginning.

Though not a proof William Lane Craig’s cosmological argument is pretty tight logically speaking:

1.Everything that begins to exist has a cause.

2. The universe began to exist.

3. The universe has a cause.

Of course, this is theologically neutral because you can argue that prior to the universe you may have had some quantum state that gave rise to the current universe.

However, there is still good reason that the quantum state wasn’t there eternally either so it only pushes back the beginning a little bit further. You are still left with an absolute beginning.

I love cause and effect.

Advertisement
Would certainly give an interesting perspective to the phrase god in man’s image.

^Finally, something upon which you and I agree.

People don’t realize that what their priest/pastor/preacher, etc. has been telling them for years and years is NOT what the Bible actually teaches.

Here’s what it DOES say:

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:36-38).
You know I love the irony. I will say I hope He is, but I don’t believe He is. A definite conundrum for me. I think I love apologetics and theology more than I ever loved God. Thank you. A lil walk down memory lane.

Advertisement
Back