Does anyone have info on who we're recruiting this cycle?

wisecane

Uncle Morton
Just curious as to who we're after recruiting-wise. Baseball doesn't seem to get the interest/coverage as the other sports.

Anyone on the inside in the know?

Advertisement
Just curious as to who we're after recruiting-wise. Baseball doesn't seem to get the interest/coverage as the other sports.

Anyone on the inside in the know?

It all comes down to how many you can get to campus. Unlike football and even basketball for that matter (w the one and done kids), baseball recruiting rankings are hard to get overly excited about until after the MLB draft, especially the first ten rounds. The best HS baseball players get drafted very high, and usually go pro as the signing bonuses have gotten so large.

Of course, it's still nice to have lots of talented recruits since you get lucky sometimes and kids can get injured their Sr year, think they are being undervalued by MLB, etc.

Gino has always been known as a good recruiter; we'll get to see about his game day and head coaching ability this year.

It all comes down to how many you can get to campus. Unlike football and even basketball for that matter (w the one and done kids), baseball recruiting rankings are hard to get overly excited about until after the MLB draft, especially the first ten rounds. The best HS baseball players get drafted very high, and usually go pro as the signing bonuses have gotten so large.

Of course, it's still nice to have lots of talented recruits since you get lucky sometimes and kids can get injured their Sr year, think they are being undervalued by MLB, etc.

Gino has always been known as a good recruiter; we'll get to see about his game day and head coaching ability this year.

Thanks,

I know a kid that is being recruited, but he's at a JUCO in SW Florida. He was originally headed to South Carolina, but they fired their coach and he was lost in the wash. He decided to go JUCO rather than fall back to FGCU.

I was just curious if there was a database for prospects.

Advertisement
Thanks,

I know a kid that is being recruited, but he's at a JUCO in SW Florida. He was originally headed to South Carolina, but they fired their coach and he was lost in the wash. He decided to go JUCO rather than fall back to FGCU.

I was just curious if there was a database for prospects.

Click on the Perfect Game link provided by LurkerCane above, and enter his name in the Find a Player search box.

After looking at the bios of our recruits, it certainly looks like Gino is going after more power arms than we typically had in the past, i.e. lots of 6'2", 6'3", 6'4", etc. kids.

Bingo, which is where we seem to always fall short.

You look at those 2019 prospective classes, we are #4 with 3 in the top 100, with Vandy #1 with 8 in the top 100. Normally, I would say great...but it seems like Vandy (and many others) are able to get more of those guys on campus than we can.

Still, I think Gino gets it (well, hopefully Lopez anyway) that we need to recruit the top guys of course but have the most sold focus on the guys we think will actually make it to campus.

UM

Advertisement
Back