Does 2019 Hurricanes look stronger than in 2017? (Offense Edition)

GojiraCane

All ACC
Curious what you think, if you compare on paper the Miami roster of 2017 that went 10-3 versus the team about to compete against Florida.

Quarterback:
2017: Malik Rozier, Evan Sheriffs, N'kosi Perry, Cade Weldon, Vincent Testaverde
2019: N'kosi Perry, Jarren Williams, Tate Martell, Payton Matocha
Advantage: 2019 Hurricanes

Wide Receivers:
2017: Ahmmon Richards, Braxton Berrios, Jeff Thomas, Lawrence Cager, Darrell Langham, Mike Harley, Dionte Mullins
2019: Jeff Thomas, KJ Osborne, Mark Pope, Mike Harley, Brian Hightower, Dee Wiggins, Jeremiah Peyton, Evidence Njoku
Advantage: This may be controversial, but I say 2019 Miami

Running Backs:
2017: Mark Walton, Travis Homer, Trayonne Gray, Robert Burns, Dee Jay Dallas
2019: Cam Davis, Dee Jay Dallas, Robert Burns, Lorenzo Lingard
Advantage: 2017 Hurricanes

Tight Ends:
2017: Chris Herndon, Michael Irvin II, Malik Cury, Brian Polendry
2019: Brevin Jordan, Will Malory, Michael Irvin II, Brian Polendry, Larry Hodges

Offensive Line:
2017: KC McDermott, Trevor Darling, Tyler Gauthier, Navaughn Donaldson, Tyree St. Louis, Zack Dystra, Corey Gaynor, Justin Goldberg, George Brown, Kai-Leon Herbert, Zalon'Tae Hillery, Tre Johnson, Jahair Jones, Zachary Lerman, Hayden Mahoney, Bar Milo
2019: Zion Nelson, Navaugn Donaldson, Corey Gaynor, Cleveland Reed, Delone Scaife, Tommy Kennedy, Zach Dystra, Jakai Clark, Kai-Leon Herbert, Zalon'tae Hillery, Adam ElGammal, John Campbell Jr, Jared Griffith

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’d say advantage 2019 for rb actually. Like this group of talent better although homer was a really good Rb and Walton was pretty solid too. It’s not just because I’m high on Dallas it’s about the guys behind him too. Collectively i think it’s a much stronger group across the board at all positions at offense

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Chris Herndon is a top 15 nfl tight end this season. Hard to give 2019 the advantage yet. Also 2017 wrs are the winners pre ahmonn injury

Brings up another point. Ahmonn herndon and Walton were injured for the end of 2017 collapse. The richt offense wasn’t exposed until he lost his playmakers

I'll play - I'd take the 2017 OL right now and maaaaaybe the 2017 WRs. RBs are a push for me.

The real problem with this comparison is that there's so much hindsight with the 2017 team and very little proven production from the 2019 side. Potentially I think there's a ton of talent on both sides of the ball right now. It's just we haven't seen a lot of it produce yet.

I believe this 2019 team is more talented than the 2017. Our coaching staff is arguably better as well.

No excuse to finish worse than 9-3.

Advertisement
I’d say advantage 2019 for rb actually. Like this group of talent better although homer was a really good Rb and Walton was pretty solid too. It’s not just because I’m high on Dallas it’s about the guys behind him too. Collectively i think it’s a much stronger group across the board at all positions at offense

This. Walton was a solid back but a bit overrated imo. I actually liked Homer more.

Dallas is a swiss army knife play maker. Harris is the most athletic pure RB out of anyone I've listed so far, and then you have Lingawd and Burns. Two players who if they stay healthy, have ridiculous upside that might be something really special.

2019 RB room all day.

Yep you are right. These seasons are running together. Dang we only had one decent TE in 2017.
For real. I’ve noticed the same thing about these football seasons. 2016 is a total blur to me but 2017 stands out for the 10-0 start, FSU win, GT win, ND and VT destructions

How can you say 2019 OL? WR are about a wash as AR82 makes up for a team worth of WRs

Advertisement
It’s not a wash considering Richards was hurt nearly all of that season. This receiver group is much deeper
That's something when you look at most of the positions. Miami this year is considerably deeper. 2017 was still seeing the carryover effects of sanctions and roster attrition.

Advertisement
Back