Do we teach our defensive line to shed blocks?

avicenna75

Freshman
Honestly, I can't recall one of our players attempting a swim move, club, anything to try shed a block to free up to make a play. I feel like we just coach our players to "square up and engage." There's no penetration, there's no aggretion, no accountability to attempt make a play. It's like we're glued to our defenders and hope that our linebackers don't get swallowed up to make the play 4-5 yards down field.

One play that stands out was when Nebraska's DT did a swim move on Isadora and completely pancaked Duke on the draw. What a great individual effort by the defender. Our players, on the other hand, look like a bunch of soft robots.

Advertisement
some idiots will tell you we just don't have the talent and we happened to recruit guys that don't possess those abilities.

And the spotlight's on you Jethro.....

I've seen Courtel and Heurtelou shed blocks but where is the outside pressure to help?

And the spotlight's on you Jethro.....

I've seen Courtel and Heurtelou shed blocks but where is the outside pressure to help?

yeah but even those two seem to mostly bull rush or just out muscle guys. still lacking technique.

some idiots will tell you we just don't have the talent and we happened to recruit guys that don't possess those abilities.

LOL. The funny thing is even if a player(s) doesn't possess that ability, its the coach's job to teach them.

Advertisement
Honestly, I can't recall one of our players attempting a swim move, club, anything to try shed a block to free up to make a play. I feel like we just coach our players to "square up and engage." There's no penetration, there's no aggretion, no accountability to attempt make a play. It's like we're glued to our defenders and hope that our linebackers don't get swallowed up to make the play 4-5 yards down field.

One play that stands out was when Nebraska's DT did a swim move on Isadora and completely pancaked Duke on the draw. What a great individual effort by the defender. Our players, on the other hand, look like a bunch of soft robots.
We don't until the ball carrier is going past. I remember Golden complaining about players doing that when they just came in. Our stance on DL makes u realize there is no way we will get any push or momentum off the snap

Advertisement
Back