Do we make changes to the secondary? IMO we have to..

bear

Sophomore
Let me preface this by saying that Toledo has an excellent QB and a good offense. Defense is JV and that is a big reason we won.

Anyhow it looks (body of work just two games) that we have some real issues on the secondary.

Safety- I don't think we strike any fear on anyone coming accross the middle. Amari Carter can easily fix that issue and seems talented enough to get a serious look as a starter. Jaquan looks too small at safety and pretty much has disappeared. Like him much more at nickel or maybe the other safety spot opposite Carter?

DB- Dee Delaney has not delivered so far. Should we give Dallas a look back there?

Our defense seems pretty disjointed at the moment and at some point we will suffer the consequences, maybe as early as this weekend if we don't get at least a workable solution.

I get it that we had a storm and players were fatigued blah blah blah but they did not look good from the start so fatigue was not an issue. We were getting smoked in the first quarter and seemed pretty confused at all times. I think Diaz is definitely the right coach as he brings honesty and passion to our defense. Next year we get a huge infusion of talent but we need to give Carter and Dallas a look back there sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did you see how horribly mismatched Carter out in space covering the slot? Thankfully he has the presence of mind to hold the guy since he would have gotten deep but he is not the answer. Besides, he gets plenty of burn for a safety - a tough position to play. Dallas hasn't plAyed CB in about 9 months. Unfortunately, we have what we have.

The only head scratcher to me is how dean never sees the field. If he's worse than Delaney then Campbell, blades and jobe can't get here fast enough

Advertisement
They better try Delaney at safety because he ain’t cutting it at cornerback

Let me preface this by saying that Toledo has an excellent QB and a good offense. Defense is JV and that is a big reason we won.

Anyhow it looks (body of work just two games) that we have some real issues on the secondary.

Safety- I don't think we strike any fear on anyone coming accross the middle. Amari Carter can easily fix that issue and seems talented enough to get a serious look as a starter. Jaquan looks too small at safety and pretty much has disappeared. Like him much more at nickel or maybe the other safety spot opposite Carter?

DB- Dee Delaney has not delivered so far. Should we give Dallas a look back there?

Our defense seems pretty disjointed at the moment and at some point we will suffer the consequences, maybe as early as this weekend if we don't get at least a workable solution.

I get it that we had a storm and players were fatigued blah blah blah but they did not look good from the start so fatigue was not an issue. We were getting smoked in the first quarter and seemed pretty confused at all times. I think Diaz is definitely the right coach as he brings honesty and passion to our defense. Next year we get a huge infusion of talent but we need to give Carter and Dallas a look back there sooner rather than later.

Be careful speaking your mind. You'll sound butt hurt according to some. Drive safe.

Regardless of skill level and technique in the secondary, players just communicating effectively and understanding the assignment would go a LONG way. Getting rid of half of the "Oh ****! We're not in zone?!" mistakes gets us from bad to meh by itself.

Advertisement
Why, in all the passes attempted against Miami, has not a single one been tipped, intercepted, or disrupted by a linebacker. Watch the film of Morgan and all the other linebackers and see that that position also has a role in short passing routes. Is it scheme or personnel?

Dean and Bandy definitely need to play more....I also like Finley and Carter's tackling ability in space.. ultimately, Diaz needs to stop blitzing so much...play a base cover 2....let the front 4 do what they do until the secondary gets it....right now they're not on point its causing way too many blown coverages....also, somebody tell Shaq and Jaquan they need to learn how to cut off a lane in pursuit...both take very bad angles in open space...if our D is going to get better it starts with those two taking better angles.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back