Do we keep kicking field goals?

Advertisement
At this point unless we're up big which hasn't happened yet against a good team I say we go for it. **** I'm not to sure I wouldn't start going for two every time we score too.

The thing is that range isnt his problem. He has the same chance of making a 45 yarder as he does of making a 15 yarder right now. Puts you in a sticky situation because you cant always go for it. You'll loose too many points.

As long we aren't losing points. Loose points are ok with me, same with the tight ones. Points are points and we need them.

Go for it. But approach it like 4th down territory and make a 4th down manageable like we would a 3rd down in those situations.

Or punt and pin them inside the 5

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good question, LoungeLord.

I think we'd be better off going for it on all 4th downs. Although, that would likely add to the ruination of Baxa.

I honestly think the right move is to bring in a sports psychologist to work with Baxa. The kid clearly has the physical tools, his issue is purely mental. He looks scared every time he has to take the field. They need to work on a routine for him that will help him focus mentally before each kick.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The thing is that range isnt his problem. He has the same chance of making a 45 yarder as he does of making a 15 yarder right now. Puts you in a sticky situation because you cant always go for it. You'll loose too many points.

he booted a 50 plus yarder against UNC after missing a short field goal and then misses a game winning field goal and extra point. guy just has issues outside of coaching

Good question, LoungeLord.

I think we'd be better off going for it on all 4th downs. Although, that would likely add to the ruination of Baxa.

I honestly think the right move is to bring in a sports psychologist to work with Baxa. The kid clearly has the physical tools, his issue is purely mental. He looks scared every time he has to take the field. They need to work on a routine for him that will help him focus mentally before each kick.

baxa laready mentioned that he would be seeing one.

Advertisement
He's done on all field goals, kickoffs are and will remain fine. For us older guys, its like The Yankees move with Chuck Knoblauch years ago. The throw from 2nd base ruined him, they move him to the outfield and he could throw the ball in as hard as he could

My gut reaction to this is - well, obviously, we should go for it on anything under 5 yards when we're in field goal range. To be honest there has been a general shift that direction anyway in the college game.

HOWEVER, with our OL we can't even rely on them to get us a first down on 4th and inches. How successful do we really think we'll be on 4th and 5?

I do agree with what was said earlier...if you have a plan to go for it on every 4th and less than 5 on the plus side of the field, no matter what, it will change the way you call plays on 3rd down. So if it were to be a matter of policy, I would certainly hope everybody knows.

Advertisement
Back