Do We Have Some NFL Talent (First 3 Rounds) Developing?

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
Although this season has been a wash, one positive I've started to take from it is it seems like we're developing some young future leaders for next year that have high NFL draft-able talent:

Leonard Taylor
Darrell Jackson
Nyjalik Kelly
Kam Kinchens
Wesley Bissainthe
Colbie Young
The RB Position looks good if we can get healthy (Parrish, Knighton, Chaney, Citizen)
Anez Cooper
Jalen Rivers
John Campbell

The key will be these players taking the next step after a full offseason, and start leading this team

Advertisement
Advertisement
Leonard Taylor - yes, first move is elite. Needs consistency, finish at the qb more and maybe Add more strength and more first moves
Darrell Jackson - needs to add more weight and strength, but could see him drafted as eventual starter
Nyjalik Kelly too early to tell. hasnt flashed much yet. Needs to add strength and size while maintaining bend.
Kam Kinchens
Wesley Bissainthe - starting to see he’s got it. Needs to add strength/size over next couple years but nothing too drastic
Colbie Young - love him in college, but nothing screams nfl starter to me. Footwork, route running and speed/acceleration will be concerns at next level
The RB Position looks good if we can get healthy (Parrish, Knighton, Chaney, Citizen)
Anez Cooper - most likely of OL to make it. Has tight demeanor, needs to add strength
Jalen Rivers - will be drafted next year as he has made incremental progress. But likely 2nd-3rd day selection unless significant improvement made this summer (which could happen with Mario and Mirabel)
John Campbell

Advertisement
What has Kelly done? Lol.. He has gotten alot of opportunity in pass rushing situation but havent seen much flsh or first step (mind you he might develop into 1st pick or whatever, but this is wild lol) .. This thread is another overhype thread where guys set themselves up for disappointment in a couple years..

You want to see young 1st round talent flash, go watch LSU #40.. Then you will get an idea of that level..

Although this season has been a wash, one positive I've started to take from it is it seems like we're developing some young future leaders for next year that have high NFL draft-able talent:

Leonard Taylor
Darrell Jackson
Nyjalik Kelly
Kam Kinchens
Wesley Bissainthe
Colbie Young
Anez Cooper
Jalen Rivers
John Campbell

The key will be these players taking the next step after a full offseason, and start leading this team

Kam and Taylor are the only guys on this list that has shown enough play making to be drafted before 5th round. Neither has shown enough consistency to be drafted in the first 2 days. Taylor needs more strength for a NT/DT and Kam's blown assignments will scare away most teams who value Safeties as an actual Safety valve. The 2 RB's on this roster that have displayed draftable skills have fumbled and shown lack of availability that'll scare teams.

Edit: Forgot about Bissainthe/Cooper. Wes definitely flashed some tools and gives you the sense that he just needs another year or 2 in a college weight room. Cooper needs more snaps to show that there's no conditioning issue considering his size.

Last edited:

Leonard Taylor
Darrell Jackson
Nyjalik Kelly
Kam Kinchens
Wesley Bissainthe
Colbie Young
Anez Cooper
Jalen Rivers
John Campbell

Have a shot at Day 1:

Leonard Taylor
Darrell Jackson
Nyjalik Kelly
Kam Kinchens
Wesley Bissainthe
Anez Cooper
Jalen Rivers
James Williams
Stevenson

The unknowns who have the proper measurables/athleticism are Citizen and Jaden Harris, and possibly Chase Smith

As for the RBs...
Parrish won't test well enough to be selected highly
Knighton lol
Chaney barely has any usable tape

Advertisement
Gerald Willis went undrafted after his monster season. We historically overestimate talent on this board. (Albeit there were some underlying issues there)….also remember McIntosh? The list goes on guys we have overrated.

Kam and LT are Day 3 guys I don’t see anybody else right now.

Potential is there for Wes, Skinner, and the other young guys but still too early.

What has Kelly done? Lol.. He has gotten alot of opportunity in pass rushing situation but havent seen much flsh or first step (mind you he might develop into 1st pick or whatever, but this is wild lol) .. This thread is another overhype thread where guys set themselves up for disappointment in a couple years..

You want to see young 1st round talent flash, go watch LSU #40.. Then you will get an idea of that level..
The more UM teams I've seen the more I understand that we definitely have the habit of overhyping our guys. It's been about 10+ years of it now too. I think we got so comfortable with greatness wearing orange and green that we haven't adjusted to the fact that not only has the team not been elite in over 15 years but neither has the individual talent.

It shows up the most when you watch other teams. I love Wesley and think he'll be dope but I now I understand he wasn't an underrated kid that should have been a 5 star once I watched Harold Perkins. That dude leaps off the screen in a way that's crazy. Same would go for Nyjalik and how Dallas Turner looked as a freshman by comparison.

It doesn't mean I don't think Nyjalik and Wes will be amazing and can develop to being top 3 round players but we definitely assume the best and get there on our guys far too early. Which makes us crap on them later because of our outsized expectations.

I wouldn't assume a single guy on our current roster is top 3 rounds just based on recent history. The guys over the last 4 years that did flashed something serious and were undeniable (Rousseau and Phillips)

Advertisement
I will say that I've never been more confident in one of our post Butch coaches to develop this talent. Mario has a lot of downfalls but the things I'm confident in is Recruiting and the Environment he'll establish that will see guys develop. Believe we saw that a bit with Rooster recently.

RB's - Parrish won't get drafted with his athletic profile & production. Knighton is a longshot to go Day 3. Chaney's injuries, even if he balls out when he returns, will keep him out of Day 2 contention. Citizen - even though he's never played and is coming off an ACL - is our best shot at Day 2.

Advertisement
Back