Do the ref's pick on the U? If so, why?

I know rightfully so everyone bashed the officiating againt Miami but there also have been fortuitious calls in Miamis favor

1) If I remember, wasnt the WR Danny Farmer on UCLA down in the 98' game but they called a fumble that Miami covered late in that game
2) Andre Brown 88' at ND did not catch that TD. If thats called correctly the Gary play might not have occurred

I also know Ohio St fans always like to point out that Kelly Jennings held Chris Gamble earlier in the game that could have led to Ohio St winning in regulation

But Miami has been screwed more times than not

Advertisement
The phrase "pick-on" is sort of beta, but it's not crazy to believe there's a bias against Miami.

If you're a referee that is between about 50 and 65 years old, you grew up in in an era where the Hurricanes turned college football on its ear in the early '80s—which would've had you anywhere from 10 to 25 years old.

Unless you hailed from South Florida and appreciated what The U was doing, you most-likely were a Midwestern, a Southern or a Yankee who absolutely thought UM were a bunch of brash thugs and you wanted no part of that brand of football.

Terry Porter was an Oklahoma native and a longtime Big 12 referee. If there's any indication he was a Sooners fan, he saw the Hurricanes beat the brakes off Oklahoma three times in a row in the '80s—depriving them of a title in 1987, as well with that Orange Bowl victory.

Go look up some videos of former NBA ref Tim Donaghy and not just the cheating escapades he went down for—he now openly talks about not liking players; attributing technicals to guys like Allen Iverson or Rasheed Wallace for no reason (and laughing about it with other refs as they had wagers on this kind of stuff.)

I challenge any rival or critic to go back and watch footage of that Don Chaney "fumble" against Georgia Tech—how the official closest the the ball is starting to signal Chaney was down, before the line judge sprints from across the field to call fumble, even though he had the worse angle.

Same to be said for how these mooks handled safety calls against Clemson and Florida State; the commentators coming back in the third quarter in the Noles' broadcast to say headquarters was supposed to give them a post-halftime answer about why it wasn't a safety of Travis, but they no-showed and just blew it off, much to the commentators' surprise.

There's also the old school ACC refs who never liked Miami joining their conference that have always called it rather unfair against the Canes.

In this Louisville match-up, you have the tenth-ranked Cardinals set to play the fourth-ranked Seminoles—two Top 10 teams in the ACC title game, which will lead to a lot of chatter about how they got it right with the "two best teams" instead of divisions—as it would look bad if the best team in the Coastal was now and unranked North Carolina team, after losing last week.

There was no benefit to the ACC of Miami beating Louisville and the Brohm feel-good story created over there—and it was created as the Cards didn't have to play Florida State, Clemson or North Carolina this year, while Miami got all three.

It's a racket... and before any "leave the conference" chatter, again, anyone things the Big Ten or SEC zebras are gonna be any kinder to Miami? Please.

In the words of Jimmy Johnson, take it out of the ref's hands. Miami should've been up 38-13 against Georgia Tech, not 20-17, where a bogus fumble could've been a problem. Tyler Van Yips gave that game away when he couldn't read a zone defense; the Canes with FIVE turnovers that night to the Yellow Jackets' TWO.

You just summarized my thoughts on the intervention of officiating and their biases affecting Miami Football game’s perfectly.

You nailed the era these individuals developed in & how whether consciously or unconsciously this affects their judgment.

Also Donaghy reference is absolutely spot on, as in multiple pods / interviews he’s systematically broken down how officials are often operating in a pseudo rogue capacity.

This being said even if you are right about not putting it in the officials hands, it’s been an obscene shït show this year in the ACC.

I know rightfully so everyone bashed the officiating againt Miami but there also have been fortuitious calls in Miamis favor

1) If I remember, wasnt the WR Danny Farmer on UCLA down in the 98' game but they called a fumble that Miami covered late in that game
2) Andre Brown 88' at ND did not catch that TD. If thats called correctly the Gary play might not have occurred

I also know Ohio St fans always like to point out that Kelly Jennings held Chris Gamble earlier in the game that could have led to Ohio St winning in regulation

You’ve been watching too many 30/30’s (joking).

By todays rules, it’s incomplete.
In the 80’s, that’s a catch.
Watch a few other games from that era. Pro and college.
The “complete control to the ground” is a 2000’s thing.

I don’t like blaming the refs.
As others said, just leave it out of their hands.

That being said, what were the odds that none of the 3 of the fumble, safety and safety, NOT being overturned?

Advertisement
IMO. 1. Institutional prejudice. The football establishment didn’t like a bunch kids from the ghetto whooping everyone’s ***, dancing and telling everyone about it while they did it. Why they were against us at the time. Subsequent Miami rules instituted, which they penalize us with, but allow our opposition to do to us. It is continuous payback against us, possibly in conjunction with #2.
2. The NCAA despises us for #1 and because of the Shapiro deal where they wanted to majorly flog us, but we dug up dirt on the NCAA and showed they were unethical..which is why we didn’t get the death penalty. It seems to me the punishment was negotiated behind closed doors so we didn’t take it to court. Now probation for the twins eating dinner w Ruiz. They were digging hard for more. Didn’t dig elsewhere. Out to get us.

ACC Officials = Tim Donaghy

It isn't incompetence, it's a deliberate program of bias against Miami.

Yes there are other teams that suffer this same fate. Yes there are other teams who benefit from deliberate bias in their favor.

All the above can be true. Remember, NBA fans suspicious of Donaghy were called sore losers and conspiracy theorists even on the morning of his arrest and admission (NBA still vaguely denies it to this day).

What's blown it wide open in CFB and NFL is the insatiable fan desire for content and technology's ability to deliver it instantly.

4K (soon to be 8K) slow motion video from 360 degree x, y, and z axes give the world a perspective that refrees simply can't hide from.

Mark these words...

An official (or family member) is going to be either:
- arrested
- assaulted
- killed
by an unhinged fan/gambler.

These cheating ***** deserve what they get when they get it, shed no tears for them when it happens.

Last edited:
I wasn’t on the “refs hate Miami” wagon for awhile, however the past 5 years and more of the last 2-3 years I joined, the safeties, fumble, and countless missed holdings on our defensive linemen is **** near criminal. When you see our defensive linemen’s jerseys pulled and their shoulder pads sticking up and out of the jersey, yeah, I’m sure it wasn’t holding. The personal fouls for instance or “unsportsmanlike”, Flagg makes a tackle barely does anything, maybe he said something to the guy he tackled, more than likely he did, but bam 15 yarder for saying something, and then I watch a Clemson db talk sh*t to our receiver from the back of the end zone, to the 20, that my friend was warranted “unsportsmanlike”, even the FSU back throwing Chaney down well past the out of bound, all missed penalties, but **** don’t let our linebacker say something then walk away doing so. So, yes the bias is against Miami for sure, the 91 Cotton bowl cemented the refs despising us as well as the NCAA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gee lemme think about this for a sec....
F-r65lhXQAEIJWt.jpg

After further review the ACC refs do not have an agenda against us.... All is fair ....

Advertisement
Miami has always been screwed by the refs, and could partially be due to their rep. I think it’s a combination of officiating incompetence in ACC and a deep bias.

However, this year is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.

They don’t even pretend to be impartial at this point. The two none safety calls, even after review were ridiculous. I don’t think they can be explained away by incompetence or bias.
Only explanation is corruption.

I don’t believe any conference would have as poor officiating as the ACC. I just don’t believe it is possible.

Officiating ruined the NBA for me.
Used to watch a lot of NBA games with my dad when I was younger and he’d always complain the officiating was corrupt. Then the officiating scandal came to light and we both stoped watching, and neither have watched a single NBA game since.

College football is now just as bad IMO, and not just Cane games. It’s ruing the sport.

Those were the days before replay.
Things happen fast down on the field and of course their is going to be missed calls here and there, but when there is clear evidence on reviewed plays and they still get it wrong. There is no excuse for that.

There's also the old school ACC refs who never liked Miami joining their conference that have always called it rather unfair against the Canes.

For the ACC refs, this is the primary factor. They will statistically go out of their way to flag teams who were not a part of the original core of the conference. It's a problem unique to the ACC, per a study a few years ago. The referees will be biased against a newer member, even if a high bowl berth is at stake.

I expect many calls to go against Louisville in two weeks. Even if they were both undefeated, the Seminoles would get the advantage.

Advertisement
Miami has always been screwed by the refs, and could partially be due to their rep. I think it’s a combination of officiating incompetence in ACC and a deep bias.

However, this year is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.

They don’t even pretend to be impartial at this point. The two none safety calls, even after review were ridiculous. I don’t think they can be explained away by incompetence or bias.
Only explanation is corruption.

I don’t believe any conference would have as poor officiating as the ACC. I just don’t believe it is possible.

Officiating ruined the NBA for me.
Used to watch a lot of NBA games with my dad when I was younger and he’d always complain the officiating was corrupt. Then the officiating scandal came to light and we both stoped watching, and neither have watched a single NBA game since.

College football is now just as bad IMO, and not just Cane games. It’s ruing the sport.
Who is the CFB equivalent of The Extender?

1700615116630.png

Been posting this for years, but the original full report link died, so have to (gag) rely on the Warchant story:

https://floridastate.rivals.com/new...8VtUSjUupS_WEznP00yLkiyXhqwOtSDbFVtaaDBWW0glP
THANK YOU. I've been looking for this for a while.

"Contrary to profit-maximizing expectations of bias, none of the biases evident in the conferences in our study promoted favored teams. The ACC, and to a lesser extent the former Big East, actually show evidence of the opposite bias: more favored teams are penalized to a greater degree."

"There is evidence of ACC officiating favoritism towards teams that have been in the league longest (founded in 1953) and more frequently flagging teams that are newer to the conference: Georgia Tech (1978), Florida State (1991), University of Miami (2004), Virginia Tech (2004), and Boston College (2005). Current ACC members Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville were all added after the sample period ended in 2012."

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale I knew several high school coaches and often filmed games for them. I got to know South Florida and kids there are both tough and mouthy. I now live in Orlando and I attend high school games here. It is different, players here are not as ****y and don't have the street attitude I saw in South Florida. Some of the high school games I've watched involve visiting South Florida teams. I've talked to coaches and referees here and they do not like the trash talk from these South Florida kids. Lots of profanity and definitely attitude. In observing I'd say that these visiting teams will get more scrutiny then their local opposition. I'm not saying the local kids can't give it back yet their coaches discourage responding.
As Hurricanes we are used to the brashness and toughness BUT is that brash attitude affecting the referees at the next level too? Having seen both sides and witnessing prejudice at the high school level, I'm am inclined to think it is probable.
I wonder if there are stats at the high school level to back up what I perceive as a probability?
Yes it’s obvious that there’s bias against us from the 80 and also for what happened to Big Pata may he rest in Peace. That put such a black eye on The University on top of everything else. That was a wild time.

Advertisement
Back