Do the 2019 Hurricanes look stronger than 2017 Miami (Defense Edition)

I don't reallly care who was better. I just want them to leave a toothless gator on the field at the end of the game wondering why his ******* is sore.

Advertisement
2017 DE and DT were better
2017 CB and S were better
I think dends are better in depth in 2019 and at dt I’ll give 2017 that but I think This dt group is deeper. Both 2019 groups are more talented imo.

At cb and safety we have to judge it prior to the 2017 season because at the end of the day 2019 season hasn’t been played yet. Before the 2017 season was played redwine was okay as a part time starter in 2016, Jaquan had a lot of playing time but wasn’t what he ended up being in 2017, jackson hardly played, malek young ended up being a starter the last 5 games his freshman season. I like the talent/depth/upside at 2019 at safety and corner better honestly

Last edited:
I see a distinct lack of sources in your post outside your own butt hole.
Here are the sources:

2017 Roster:

2019 Roster:

2017: Depth Chart:

2019 Depth Chart:

One can only speculate how this offense or defense will compare to any other year. before they have played the season. I am.optimistic offense and defense will
both be better than 2017

I see what you’re trying to do and I appreciate the effort I know you put time into this but you can do better.

2019 front 7 should be better. DT is the only question mark but with bethel ford, Chigozie, Miller 3 freshman plus Nesta when he comes back we have much better depth. DE we haven’t lost a beat might even be better. LB, same cats but older and more experienced. Romeo Finley is an upgrade over mccloud. 2017 we were stuck in base 43, we’re much more versatile now.

Secondary I feel like we’re in the exact same spot with more talent. We all knew Quan was the real deal similar to Gurvan hall. Hardly anyone thought Redwine and Mike Jack would end up as good as they became. I feel much better about Derrick Smith/Amari/bubba than I did about Redwine before the 17 season. Going into this season Bandy is more of a sure thing than Malek or Mike Jack were going into 17. Our overall talent level of our unknowns in the secondary has improved drastically since 17 giving me confidence that this unit can uphold the standard that’s been set.

Advertisement
D lines are pretty comparable but I give our current crop of linebackers and strikers an edge. The secondary is also pretty comparable but our current guys have higher upside athletically. Overall, our defense has enough talent to be a top 25 unit nationwide if we stay mostly healthy.

D lines are pretty comparable but I give our current crop of linebackers and strikers an edge. The secondary is also pretty comparable but our current guys have higher upside athletically. Overall, our defense has enough talent to be a top 25 unit nationwide if we stay mostly healthy.

Did not have a striker in 2017. So you are asking two different questions. 1) were the personnel better 2) which defense will be better

1) On paper, 2017 had edge in DT, DE. 2019 has edge in LBs. Push on S, CB.

2) Striker position gives the defense more flexibility and speed. I like the attacking 4-2-5 lot. Overall, the 2019 D should be better, but a lot depends on the O giving them a chance to breath.

Advertisement
I think that collectively, the 2019 defense will be better than the 2017 defense. Just a gut feeling that the whole will exceed the sum of the parts. Not that those parts are anything to sneeze at.

Chad was nice, Joe Jackson was a beast, Trent and Djack were not slouches.

On paper 2019 could have better ends. But I think we gotta let it play out.....Garvin alone is better than everyone on the 2017 squad. But those 4 were more than solid.

My god if RJ and Norton stayed their senior years to go along with Willis! 2018 would have been beyond crazier on Defense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back