Dmoneys post on importance of Defensive lines

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
I remember a post a year ago when DMoney looked at the last 10-15 BCS winners and came to the conclusion that the one constant was a dominating DLine. The argument is in line with the main rationale that most make about SEC dominance, strong in the trenches.

Funny how in a year when we're getting the best line classes in CFB there's so much angst about missing out on a few rbs and WRs.

Advertisement
Who was it that posted a statement from Butch saying that he felt there were only a dozen top shelf D tackles coming out of HS every year. If you miss on one of those 12 kids on two consecutive classes you really put your team in a hole.

Sure seems accurate.

Great point we have always have had good skill guys ,but I hate admit what that Buckeye fan would always say"games are won in the trenches"

yes, ppl have always said that games are won in the trenches, but lets be hones: the landscape of college football & football has changed with the rules changes that affect the passing game. A great qb helps hide other inefficiencies that a team might have. With that being said, hitting on every WR & RB target means nothing if you dont have a great QB to get you the ball; in my opinion

Advertisement
How many times tonight am I going to ask WTF is Bush doing. WTF was he doing?

LOL I'm skipping around and posting in the wrong thread. I'm as chaotic as the coaches.

Advertisement
Dline!!! Dline!!! Oline!!!!

Insert random s Florida studs and dominate!!! We made a scrub QB in Dorsey look like god with that formula!!!

Who was it that posted a statement from Butch saying that he felt there were only a dozen top shelf D tackles coming out of HS every year. If you miss on one of those 12 kids on two consecutive classes you really put your team in a hole.

Sure seems accurate.

Butch's statement is not consistent with his early experience at Miami, where he was DL coach, and for several years, recruiting coordinator. He took the absolute least wanted, lowest shelf recruits and turned them into stars. I mention two all the time: Russ Maryland and Jimmie Jones. You don't necessarily succeed in building great defensive lines by only recruiting the top shelf recruits. There are two many stories, including some at UM, where top DLs came out of nowhere. There were others, like Kevin ***an, who was a 200 lb LB when he came to UM. He would have been a first round choice had he not injured his hip and knee.

UM used to always have top D linemen. That was the difference. When you do not recruit them your team is in a hole like we are at the moment.

Advertisement
yes, ppl have always said that games are won in the trenches, but lets be hones: the landscape of college football & football has changed with the rules changes that affect the passing game. A great qb helps hide other inefficiencies that a team might have. With that being said, hitting on every WR & RB target means nothing if you dont have a great QB to get you the ball; in my opinion

Yes. Did anybody read the article about Saban's concern with his offense and the fact that he brought in Lane Kiffen to evaluate the Bama offense? The dominant teams are doing it with offense now. We are falling behind on offense, our defense, at least in this game, wasn't the problem. The offense put the defense in a terrible position. There's no way we could have shut down Bridgewater. We needed to run the ball more effectively, score more, and keep the ball out of Bridgewater's hands. Lou Holtz just had a great comment: we should have blocked down, not try to block man on man, because our blockers couldn't find their men. Louisville did a brilliant job of keeping our blockers confused. It was obvious to even a football novice like me, that we were trying to do assignment blocking and it didn't work if you can't find your assigned man.

UM used to always have top D linemen. That was the difference. When you do not recruit them your team is in a hole like we are at the moment.

And we had some of our greatest DLs in the mid 70's when our teams sucked. We had no offense in those years. I still think our problem tonight was our offense. We should have been able to overpower Louisville's DL with our size and run the ball. We tried to block assignments and it didn't work. Had we run the ball better, especially with Edwards, we might have been able to keep Louisville from scoring as much as they did.

Advertisement
After Berlin, Wright, Freeman, Marve, Harris and Morris he calls Dorsey a scrub.

Advertisement
Back