D'Mauri Jones & Jontavious Carter

Both listed at 6'2, 200 and change on more than one site. Jones is the taller of the 3, but he's no Daniel Adderly (I hope)

///I could care less if they were 5'3, just catch the **** ball. Apparently Waters and Lockhart are ahead of both of them as well, so they need to put in some work, not just be tall.

That's a good seven deep in the coming years. Scott, Waters, Lewis, Lockhart, AJL, Carter, Jones

/I'm assuming Dorsett is three and done if he takes another leap next season

How many 5'10 receivers go 3 and done?

Advertisement
Both listed at 6'2, 200 and change on more than one site. Jones is the taller of the 3, but he's no Daniel Adderly (I hope)

///I could care less if they were 5'3, just catch the **** ball. Apparently Waters and Lockhart are ahead of both of them as well, so they need to put in some work, not just be tall.

That's a good seven deep in the coming years. Scott, Waters, Lewis, Lockhart, AJL, Carter, Jones

Desean Jackson
Randall Cobb
Golden Tate
Percy Harvin
Ted Ginn
Santonio Holmes

(too busy to bother really looking up)

send their regards

yes, exceptions, but when you are busting out 190 yard games as a sophomore and if he takes another leap his junior year I can certainly see him leaving early

Last edited:
Out of that group Dorsett is most similar to Tate, which isn't a good thing considering he hasn't exactly been tearing up the league. I was one of the biggest Dorsett fans coming out of HS but his NFL prospects aren't great...at best he's a fringe 2nd/3rd rounder. I suppose he could declare early but it makes more sense for him to stay in the weight room and try to get to a reasonable NFL size. He's proven that he's physical enough (blocking) but being 5'10 180 will do you no favors at the combine.

Taller kids have to learn and grow into their bodies, they look very slow like they are running in cement... they dont run routs well... they just need time... I'm glad they RS this year it gives them time to grow... And D. Jones likes to catch jump balls in the end zone... he should be a nice goal line threat for us some day...

Advertisement
Out of that group Dorsett is most similar to Tate, which isn't a good thing considering he hasn't exactly been tearing up the league. I was one of the biggest Dorsett fans coming out of HS but his NFL prospects aren't great...at best he's a fringe 2nd/3rd rounder. I suppose he could declare early but it makes more sense for him to stay in the weight room and try to get to a reasonable NFL size. He's proven that he's physical enough (blocking) but being 5'10 180 will do you no favors at the combine.

you realize that 6 of the top 20 WR's this year in the NFL are around 5'10" 180 right?

height certainly helps but he can do just fine with a little more weight/strength added in another offseason + NFL offseason

Desean Jackson
Randall Cobb
Golden Tate
Percy Harvin
Ted Ginn
Santonio Holmes

(too busy to bother really looking up)

send their regards

yes, exceptions, but when you are busting out 190 yard games as a sophomore and if he takes another leap his junior year I can certainly see him leaving early

His parents wants him to have his degree... he is not leaving Miami without that degree... So i say he does his 4 years.

With all the WR's we have I can't see any problem with these 2 redshirting. We have enough freshman WR's playing already.

Malcolm was playing alot before the injury. Now Herb Waters is playing. I haven't seen, but coach said Lockhart is about to start playing.

As to the comparison of Dorsett to Golden tate, I think Dorsett can be better. Faster and better route runner IMO. He will get better too by the time he leaves here. Tate might be a little tougher and have better ball skills but Phillip has plenty of time.

you realize that 6 of the top 20 WR's this year in the NFL are around 5'10" 180 right?

height certainly helps but he can do just fine with a little more weight/strength added in another offseason + NFL offseason

I counted 7 actually. Let's break it down:

Wes Welker - undrafted, spread offense, slot
Percy Harvin - 1st rounder, rare elite talent (#1 OVR recruit)
Danny Amendola - undrafted, spread offense, slot
Steve Smith - 3rd rounder
DeSean Jackson - 2nd rounder, spread offense, slot
Davone Bess - undrafted, slot
Antonio Brown - 6th rounder

What we see here is mostly a group of players who were overlooked in the draft but found a niche as a slot receiver, typically in more spread-oriented offenses that regularly utilize 3 WRs. The problem is that they weren't drafted high because slot receivers have limited draft value because few teams use them often enough to warrant spending a high pick on them. Percy Harvin and Steve Smith are stronger, more physical receivers that can be true #1 WRs in any system. DeSean Jackson was the #1 WR coming out of HS and was drafted to the right system.

The anomaly is Antonio Brown who is very similar to Dorsett actually (moreso than Tate even imo) as he is a deep threat on a more traditional balanced offense. Dorsett could succeed in a role like that, but again his draft value would be around 2nd/3rd round if that's what teams saw as his ceiling. There's nothing wrong with entering the draft if you've proven yourself and still got a 3rd round grade, but a 3rd round grade also isn't gonna make a player instantly pack his bags and drop out of school either. Just my opinion.

Advertisement

What we see here is mostly a group of players who were overlooked in the draft but found a niche as a slot receiver, typically in more spread-oriented offenses that regularly utilize 3 WRs. The problem is that they weren't drafted high because slot receivers have limited draft value because few teams use them often enough to warrant spending a high pick on them. Percy Harvin and Steve Smith are stronger, more physical receivers that can be true #1 WRs in any system. DeSean Jackson was the #1 WR coming out of HS and was drafted to the right system.

The anomaly is Antonio Brown who is very similar to Dorsett actually (moreso than Tate even imo) as he is a deep threat on a more traditional balanced offense. Dorsett could succeed in a role like that, but again his draft value would be around 2nd/3rd round if that's what teams saw as his ceiling. There's nothing wrong with entering the draft if you've proven yourself and still got a 3rd round grade, but a 3rd round grade also isn't gonna make a player instantly pack his bags and drop out of school either. Just my opinion.

At Miami it does. We've had retarded Shammin kids leaving early to go in the 6th round, let alone the 3rd. :ohlord:

Hopefully, the Golden kids like Dorsett learn an important lesson here.

none of that addresses his in-ability to play at 5'10 180 lbs in your opinion

Advertisement
Back