DLine Orientation / Alignment

Savage Cane

Redshirt Freshman
Question for X / O guys

On early downs v Power Spread concept why don’t we drop 5 dL with a hand in the dirt ? Or a backer / rover rolled up & hungry ( James Williams / Keontra / Sam Brooks / Elijah ) ?

we have versatility & aggression why doesn’t our D dictate the tempo ( aka bully ) to the opposing Offense. Play to your strengths / best 11 ?

UNC / NC State were straight surgical in dismantling our set. Why not be the boss ?

particularly against Bama starting a new kid
as a wrinkle? They audible we can roll into a 2 or 3 shell ( or knock qb’s teeth out. A or B )

Attachments

• 1752A1E0-F4BC-4025-B00F-E641855021CF.gif
    1752A1E0-F4BC-4025-B00F-E641855021CF.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Advertisement
RPO’s crush that alignment is a simple explanation. There’s nuance to it, of course, but with more DL, there is more space to cover and they just put your Mike or overhang defender in conflict constantly.

If you can’t handle the run with standard alignments in today’s game, you’re in trouble. Defenses are going to more Tite fronts, which is trying to steal back a gap without adding extra defenders (they play 1.5 gaps).

Need certain personnel to do it and Miami doesn’t/hasn’t run tite fronts in the past.

Miami runs a defense that knows it will give up some plays. They bank on the fact they’ll cause enough negative plays to get off the field. When an offense doesn’t have those negative plays they can be made to look bad.

It’s a fundamental philosophy and has strengths and weaknesses. I disagree with some of what we do, but agree that causing negative plays is best way to get most college offenses off the field, because the idea of a defense just lining up and dominating a good college offense is all but dead.

RPO’s crush that alignment is a simple explanation. There’s nuance to it, of course, but with more DL, there is more space to cover and they just put your Mike or overhang defender in conflict constantly.

If you can’t handle the run with standard alignments in today’s game, you’re in trouble. Defenses are going to more Tite fronts, which is trying to steal back a gap without adding extra defenders (they play 1.5 gaps).

Need certain personnel to do it and Miami doesn’t/hasn’t run tite fronts in the past.

Miami runs a defense that knows it will give up some plays. They bank on the fact they’ll cause enough negative plays to get off the field. When an offense doesn’t have those negative plays they can be made to look bad.

It’s a fundamental philosophy and has strengths and weaknesses. I disagree with some of what we do, but agree that causing negative plays is best way to get most college offenses off the field, because the idea of a defense just lining up and dominating a good college offense is all but dead.
Agree.

Our d makes sense with today’s offenses , causing havoc and losses creating long yardage for first downs. I just wish we’d have a tad more gap integrity. Not quite as wreckless.

The rpo is a cheat code that makes defense impossible. It puts linebackers in a impossible position with ol being illegally down field on majority of the rpo’s. Back in the day the lb could just read the ol post snap and pretty much know pass/run and what type of run it was. Now they’re in no mans land

Last edited:
Advertisement

Was coming in to say this.

There's a reason you're seeing more 3-3-5 type alignments especially in the Big 12. DCs hope they can string out or slow down run plays with their front and give their depth/overhang defenders time to fill and limit the damage, while maintaining a numbers advantage in the secondary where you can play 2-high safeties, account for RPOs and create overlap with zone match/man match coverages in the passing game.

Agree.

Our d makes sense with today’s offenses , causing havoc and losses creating long yardage for first downs. I just wish we’d have a tad more gap integrity. Not quite as wreckless.

The rpo is a cheat code that makes defense impossible. It puts linebackers in a impossible position with ol constantly being illegally down field on majority of the rpo’s. Back in the day the lb could just read the ol post snap and pretty much know pass/run and what type of run it was. Now they’re in no mans land
Yep that was my bread and butter as essentially a Striker (that position existed in Canadian football long before 11on11 required it). Except for one time we played a team that had this big lazy RT whose pass sets looked like run blocks and the slot was running speed outs every snap run or pass. Coaches chewed me out a lot that game.

Advertisement
Would you all be opposed making the hash marks tighter or do you all like it the way it is? So defenses can at least win you games in college football in this day in age.

Would you all be opposed making the hash marks tighter or do you all like it the way it is? So defenses can at least win you games in college football in this day in age.
There needs to be a rule change for offensive lineman. LSU ran the RPO to complete perfection, with linemen being four-five yards downfield. Make it like the NFL, where its like one yard.

Also, allow DBs to be more aggressive fighting for the ball.

Manny gets in trouble when teams stay on course . Staying in third and short or manageable. If you get behind the chains against him you’re in trouble.
I agree with this and your post above about our defense making sense in today's game. Your desire for a bit more gap integrity is completely understandable as I also want the same thing.

There is an X factor on defense going into this season however and his name is Bob Shoop. I don't think Manny hired him to be a yes man. I think Manny is beginning to realize that being dominant defensively in today's game is something that can only be achieved by several experienced coaches working together to integrate different concepts into the overall scheme. Jess Simpson and Tavaris Robinson should also figure prominently in this.

I really do think that Diaz's scheme this year will play much more to our strengths which is basically playing aggressive downhill football. I think we will see more man coverage both press and bump and run and much less of the passive and archaic spot dropping zone coverage, huge cushions and bail techniques that were routinely carved up and which our players clearly didn't care for.

I am very much looking forward to watching our defense this year.

Advertisement
There needs to be a rule change for offensive lineman. LSU ran the RPO to complete perfection, with linemen being four-five yards downfield. Make it like the NFL, where its like one yard.

Also, allow DBs to be more aggressive fighting for the ball.
And stop allowing teams to block downfield on passes behind LOS.

The reason screens suck in the NFL is partially better athletes/players, but it is heavily also because you can’t release and block downfield until the ball is caught. In college, you can immediately maul defenders and block downfield if ball is caught at or behind LOS.

Miami runs this a ton, but has to get better blocking downfield.

I agree with this and your post above about our defense making sense in today's game. Your desire for a bit more gap integrity is completely understandable as I also want the same thing.

There is an X factor on defense going into this season however and his name is Bob Shoop. I don't think Manny hired him to be a yes man. I think Manny is beginning to realize that being dominant defensively in today's game is something that can only be achieved by several experienced coaches working together to integrate different concepts into the overall scheme. Jess Simpson and Tavaris Robinson should also figure prominently in this.

I really do think that Diaz's scheme this year will play much more to our strengths which is basically playing aggressive downhill football. I think we will see more man coverage both press and bump and run and much less of the passive and archaic spot dropping zone coverage, huge cushions and bail techniques that were routinely carved up and which our players clearly didn't care for.

I am very much looking forward to watching our defense this year.
Shoop will certainly help with gameplanning and scouting. I am most excited for the simple fact Miami is trying to get more into the cheat code that is the analyst game. Where they don’t count as coaches but can watch film with players and game plan? Heck yes.

Maybe they aren’t doing on-field coaching, but you know what they free up coaches to do? On-field coaching preparation and film study. Because if they aren’t doing the prep and film work with players and answering 49 questions a day from players, they’re open to do other things.

And the only thing analysts cost is money. Miami has got to keep adding to this area.

I was rewatching some of the spring game highlights and it seems to me one of the biggest things our D has done is make our coverage drops shorter or taking more time to start back pedaling. So there will be more challenges to shorter routes. I think we have heard some of that already from fall camp. Now if you don't get pressure, U better have DBs with speed to stop the deep balls, especially if the QB can sling it. Its been alot of years where you seen our DBs covering 1 v 1 then make a break on the ball and then u had picks or PBU, can't remember it under Golden or Diaz. Thats because they both played those soft shells.No the pick 6s by Bandy v ND and Jaquan v Virginia weren't 1v1 coverage. Those were zones. Im wondering if Diaz is gonna call as much blitzes as he used to knowing the DBs will be closer.

Advertisement
"...because the idea of a defense just lining up and dominating a good college offense is all but dead..."
100% es la verdad. 100% ist die wahrheit. 100% fact.

Either your offense is built to win every drag race or it's built to control the ball.

Today's dominating defense is because your offense stayed on the field.

It comes down to leverage and space. 5 man fronts still show up in today's game especially with a te on the ball. Teams use alot more H-back types as a tightend and matching their leverage is a big key.

Love posts like this, thanks @Lance Roffers for the thoughtful answer.

No idea what we’re gonna do to hide our backers against Bama, but I get shivers down my spine thinking of all the overpursuit and poor tackling we showed against UNC. **** I just hope we learn to shoot the right gaps this year
This team has sucked at tackling for the past two seasons! That sideline Mia tackling **** show we showed in the first game vs Florida two years ago when Tony broke like four tackles in route to a TD was the beginning of the end for Baker!

Advertisement
Back