DL ????

Taylor26

Redshirt Freshman
I have a question? Do you guys think Jethro Franklin teaches good technique? Or is it on the players ? It seems for years now we don't genrate any pass rush..... Watching the games it seems like the DL is always getting stone walled no movement.... What do u guys think?

Thanks

Advertisement
I watched Nick O'Leary stalemate Kamalu 1 on 1. Kamalu just barreled into him. No hand fighting, nothing. Fire Al Golden NOW NOW NOW NOW

I watched Nick O'Leary stalemate Kamalu 1 on 1. Kamalu just barreled into him. No hand fighting, nothing. Fire Al Golden NOW NOW NOW NOW

You didn't answer OP's question. Was that what Kamalu was taught(or not taught), or was Kamalu just being lazy on that play?

I did watch on the FSu final drive Kamalu was engaged with O'leary ... he had no hand fighting and just did not move around and he didn't try and get away from engaging ... It seems like he was stuck??

Advertisement
I did watch on the FSu final drive Kamalu was engaged with O'leary ... he had no hand fighting and just did not move around and he didn't try and get away from engaging ... It seems like he was stuck??
I don't think he's any good... just a big body. The real problem with the coaches isn't coaching, it's recruiting.

You didn't answer OP's question. Was that what Kamalu was taught(or not taught), or was Kamalu just being lazy on that play?

They are taught to engage, it's part of the scheme. It's a reason why we get so little pass rush from out front 4.

They are taught to engage, it's part of the scheme. It's a reason why we get so little pass rush from out front 4.
But not disengage??

Only person I saw use a move all game was chad. McCord just speed rushes around the corner every time. Its what there taught to patty cake with the oline

Advertisement
i am not sold on jethro. he coached good players but was a journeyman until he met golden. I prefer kevin patrick. At same time, we have much talent with jenkins, calvin, wyche, chad, moten, etc than we have had in a long time.

Exactly. Golden has said multiple times he doesn't want them rushing up field. They are taught and made to engage and hold the point of attack. I don't think we have ever gotten a sack rushing just 4 since Golden has been here.

But not disengage??

1. Hard to disengage a guy 40 lbs more then you. In some cases like McCord, 60-70lbs
2. They are taught to keep lane/gap integrity.

It's extremely tough to get a pass rush in this scheme. How often do you see our DL make a pass rush move, shoot a gap, etc? Almost never

Advertisement
jethro is terrible. when you get a second, research his career. didn't see any great defensive lines he coached. been mediocre or worse his entire career and i don't know how he hasn't been fired considered Dline has been our worst unit with little to no improvement over 4 f*ckin years

What's funny is that every team that plays us is so happy after the game about how they "fixed" their oline issues. Cornhusker fans were on this board after their game talking about how their oline turned the corner and gelled and was finally playing great ball. Then they go play a real defense in Wisc and get manhandled. FSU, same thing. Their oline has been a sieve in pass pro all year. They moved whats his face to the middle of the line for our game and now FSU thinks all it's oline ills are cured. Sure. The only constant here is that our dl is just awful in rushing the passer.

One thing I've heard Al say about the dl is they've got to control gaps when asked to, rush the passer when asked to, contain when asked to, etc. So I don't think they're 2 gaping and engaging all the time. I'm just guessing but based on those comments, I think on obvious passing downs our dl is told to get after it. I have to wonder though if they are ineffective at it because they just don't do it much. If they are engaging, engaging, engaging, engaging, now rush the passer, then they aren't getting a lot of reps at beating an ol and getting up field. Even in practice it's the same thing. They probably spend a lot of time practicing engaging etc. Perhaps in a more aggressive scheme where you are penetrating all the time, you are better at getting up field because, well, you do it more.

Advertisement
Back