DL unit could be scary

Advertisement
If the Offense improves to a point where it gives a D a chance to breathe we'll be fine....

Bethel has played 4 years. UCLA kid has multiple years of experience. Ford is a **** Junior. Then yes the experience drops off at DT.

It sure does.

Bethel, been around for a long time, but hasn't ever really impressed me. He's gotta do it or were screwed. Same with Ford. Nesta, can he live up to the hype and keep his emotions in check at this level?

Hoping the transfer pans out or we could get run over. Our DT recruiting hasn't been anywhere near the level it needs to be to field a top level group on a national level. I hope I'm wrong, they play together, and take the opportunity running with it.

I think the DL could actually be better this year if they stay healthy.

Garvin: Top 3 rd pick
Patchan: solid against the run and can rush the passer
Hill: another top 3 rd potential
Gregory: I don’t know how to spell his last name could be a freak( time will tell)
Ford: Monster
UCLA kid: just as good as Bethel
Bethel: very serviceable( won’t get flat out beat any rep)
Miller: Wild Card with size and strength
Nesta: Wild Card( could surprise once healthy)

That is sky high optimism and I hope you're right.

Advertisement
Nnoruka was above average at UCLA when they were in a 4-3. They went to a 3-4 and his production dropped. He should be the starter or at worse 2nd in at 3 tech. Our DE rotation is gnarly. Best we’ve had in a while.

People who take too much away from fall camp have been disappointed for nearly a decade and a half.

They could be out of this world, but if the back half isn't that good, then they'll have problems. We have a lot of question marks in the secondary. Truth be told, we have them in the DL as well in that there's an experience issue.

Guess we'll see what we've got as the season progresses. I keep seeing top this and top that, but a defense is only as good as it's weakest unit. Good coaches will attack our weaknesses.

An elite DL will make the secondary look lights out.

Advertisement
I think the DL could actually be better this year if they stay healthy.

Garvin: Top 3 rd pick
Patchan: solid against the run and can rush the passer
Hill: another top 3 rd potential
Gregory: I don’t know how to spell his last name could be a freak( time will tell)
Ford: Monster
UCLA kid: just as good as Bethel
Bethel: very serviceable( won’t get flat out beat any rep)
Miller: Wild Card with size and strength
Nesta: Wild Card( could surprise once healthy)

How could you forget the talk of the team in Harvey. :)

Advertisement
I'd be lying if I said I was 100% sold on our tackles. I think most on this site are just glancing over this due to the nice depth we have at DE. Having great DE's is great...but without good DT's we'll get gashed by power teams.

To me, Bethel is a JAG. We're all hoping Ford is what we hope he is...and the guy with the highest pedigree is hurt and wasn't exactly running away with the starting job next to Ford even before he got hurt.

Call me cynical, but I think offensive tackle and defensive tackle are this teams biggest weaknesses.

I'd be lying if I said I was 100% sold on our tackles. I think most on this site are just glancing over this due to the nice depth we have at DE. Having great DE's is great...but without good DT's we'll get gashed by power teams.

To me, Bethel is a JAG. We're all hoping Ford is what we hope he is...and the guy with the highest pedigree is hurt and wasn't exactly running away with the starting job next to Ford even before he got hurt.

Call me cynical, but I think offensive tackle and defensive tackle are this teams biggest weaknesses.

Wait, you mean you looked at what we bring back and made an informed opinion based on that?

OL getting whipped in reports. This means we have top whatever defense. That is as deep as their analysis goes.

Well said. Most on this site act like last year, the year before, etc never happened. Teams that go 7 and 6, they require a rebuild. It means they are lacking personel. That doesn't mean we can't be decent or even good, but people actually really do believe that we're set and all good. The only way that happens, they suspend reality and just say it.

Edit: Our DE's can be out of this world, but if our DT's aren't up to par, teams will grind out wins on us. The tackles will just push the DE's out wide. So we adjust, bringing the LB's up, safety, etc. Then if they have a halfway decent QB, the center of the field is wide open and corners are left on an island. I would run right up the middle on us until we can stop it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back