2024 DL Marcus Downs, Riverside HS (Greer, SC) offered

Ya but doesn't it seem like it was kind of a Nicolas, Gause, etc…type offer?

I know dmoney mentioned him once or twice, but I don't believe we were aggressively recruiting.
Exactly! When were the visits? When was his OV? When was he mentioned with the top group of guys we've been chasing? So how is this not a "plan B?" Please enlighten me. I'm not trying to evaluate the kid or make any judgement, we just haven't heard of anything with this kid up until today after we have missed on some of our top guys.

Advertisement
Exactly! When were the visits? When was his OV? When was he mentioned with the top group of guys we've been chasing? So how is this not a "plan B?" Please enlighten me. I'm not trying to evaluate the kid or make any judgement, we just haven't heard of anything with this kid up until today after we have missed on some of our top guys.
There’s a thing called a regular season. The summer schedule is relatively new. Every kid isn’t going to come in the summer. Some want to come for the game atmosphere. Some of these kids that got official offers, are kids Miami has been recruiting. Some of these kids have different interest levels also.

Exactly! When were the visits? When was his OV? When was he mentioned with the top group of guys we've been chasing? So how is this not a "plan B?" Please enlighten me. I'm not trying to evaluate the kid or make any judgement, we just havent heard of anything with this kid up until today after we have missed on our top guys.D
I think he's more like plan C.Plan A is/was Scott,Stone,Breeland and Mccray.Plan B are/were Jericho Johnson,Lindsay,Jayden Jackson,Kendal Jackson and Artavius Jones(most cane fans will claim he was a plan A but he only became once once we lost Scott and started fading for Mccray and Stone.Now planc C and maybe D are Downs,Tyreeke Robinson,Palepale,Nicholas,January,Deantre Robinson and Cunningham.Hopefully we get lucky again and find/flip a Horton again.

I think he's more like plan C.Plan A is/was Scott,Stone,Breeland and Mccray.Plan B are/were Jericho Johnson,Lindsay,Jayden Jackson,Kendal Jackson and Artavius Jones(most cane fans will claim he was a plan A but he only became once once we lost Scott and started fading for Mccray and Stone.Now planc C and maybe D are Downs,Tyreeke Robinson,Palepale,Nicholas,January,Deantre Robinson and Cunningham.Hopefully we get lucky again and find/flip a Horton again.
Odin, thanks for spelling it out for them.

[BGCOLOR=rgb(245, 245, 245)]No Ivy offers…not a take[/BGCOLOR]

If you’re tuff + smart you start. If your a puss + tard your barred.

Used to be our DNA until Coker came to the notion that if he put enough pot heads on the rooster that’d get creative and make his plays look better. Country Club U

Advertisement

Nah I think you are stretching it a bit there. Jones is in the A. group. A couple of those guys (K.Jax and Marcy) may stay outside. You know January committed to Texas right?

The plan A/B board **** well better go more than 9 names deep if you are shooting for 3 spots and fighting the big boys for these kids

A Group: Scott, Stone, Breland, Franklin, Jones, Mcray (possible DE)

The rest of this list is still debatable imo and I think Jayden Jackson MAY have been group A as well, but I wouldn't argue with saying high Group B. Obviously Daylen Russell was group B with them as well.

Last edited:
Ya but doesn't it seem like it was kind of a Nicolas, Gause, etc…type offer?

I know dmoney mentioned him once or twice, but I don't believe we were aggressively recruiting.
correct.

But those that got that offer sent out today you can no set them as priority recruits.

He seemed to be behind some of the guys that have now came off

correct.

But those that got that offer sent out today you can no set them as priority recruits.

He seemed to be behind some of the guys that have now came off

So you'd think we'd take Brandon Jacob right this minute without knowing Zaquan Patterson is doing (I can't see us taking 3 PURE safeties, obviously some guys like Mincy and commit Day can move around) , but the point being…There hasn't been any bad news at safety and Thomas already in the fold. This is just a for instance...

I probably agree with you o some of these guys, I just don't think it's a lock that all these guys can suddenly commit. Some can, but not all…I think we are just touching base with some, in case the guys in front of them go elsewhere we can say we've always wanted you! JMO

So you'd think we'd take Brandon Jacob right this minute without knowing Zaquan Patterson is doing (I can't see us taking 3 PURE safeties, obviously some guys like Mincy and commit Day can move around) , but the point being…There hasn't been any bad news at safety and Thomas already in the fold. This is just a for instance...

I probably agree with you o some of these guys, I just don't think it's a lock that all these guys can suddenly commit. Some can, but not all…I think we are just touching base with some, in case the guys in front of them go elsewhere we can say we've always wanted you! JMO
Mincey should be a take either way. There is levels in the priorities...but if u got that offer thing they sent in..Your definate in the top 2 at positions to be getting it takes off those fake verbal offers.

Its the reason they were send ing them at 12:01 to show those kids are a priority.

Advertisement
Mincey should be a take either way. There is levels in the priorities...but if u got that offer thing they sent in..Your definate in the top 2 at positions to be getting it takes off those fake verbal offers.

Its the reason they were send ing them at 12:01 to show those kids are a priority.
Oh I agree 1000% on Mincey and I think he is….Wasn't saying he wasn't.

Agree to disagree, you certainly could be on point here. I just can't see how a kid we seemed to be ignoring for 3-4 months (Jacob, and yes I know we don't KNOW this, but normally between all the "insiders" someone would have mentioned him since April when he loved us) …Is all of a sudden a priority. Downs? I can see it because we missed on others…Jacob and a couple others? Not so sure about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami is GT level so def not talking about us lol
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I've mentioned this previously in a thread last spring. My son is a freshman left tackle at Riverside. Marcus is one of two or three really talented players on the team. He has a great motor, good size, and gets after it with very little help at times. The junior receiver, Miklel Skinner, Jaleel's cousin is an outstanding athlete and will be a great get for whoever is able to get him on campus. He's been on several high profile visits this season. In response to some of the comments above, Riverside is the top academic school in the area and it's tough to move into the district because of the high standards. In addition, the school has something like 95 or 96 state championships spread out throughout their sports. Their Men's soccer team might be the best program in the south having won three straight championships and ranked nationally. They have really good individual talent in football, and the middle schools are starting to produce at a higher level, but the Olympic sports dominate at the school. The coaches and community are doing their best to make football a priority but many of the best athletes focus on other sports.

Advertisement
Back