2024 DL Kamarion Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I took a look at all four and five stars from the ‘23 recruiting class on the 247 composite (450 ish kids) and then narrowed it down into some interesting bullet points. Here’s the data broken down into different categories:

Commits that stuck
April: 29/36 (80.56%)
May: 21/27 (77.78%)
June: 62/75 (82.67%)
July: 97/120 (80.3%)
August: 50/57 (87.2%)

Total = 259/315 (82.2%)

- Surprisingly, 27 of the top 450 ish kids committed in 2021, and 23 of them stayed committed (82.2%)
- Similarly, 29 of the top 450 ish kids committed in January, February, or March of 2022; 24 stayed committed (82.8%)

A bit of a preconceived notion that accepting earlier commits results in more de-commitments.

- Oregon was very involved with flipping kids late, as was Auburn (coaching change makes sense here).
- Clemson does the best job of locking their kids up in the summer (mostly June), followed by Ohio State, UGA, and Texas (a bit odd that this cycle is much slower for them)

I will also add that a fair number of these de-commitments were either kids affected by a coaching change (Stanford + Cincinnati were two of the big ones) or kids being dropped (Texas had a few kids end up at Houston or Texas Tech, Alabama had a kid de-commit and wind up with Arizona, Pitt had a D-lineman end up at Notre Dame, Oregon pillaged Northwestern for a defensive back, etc.)

The point here is - if our strategy is "wait til the season"....well that's not the right strategy.

To say July and August are humongous for us is an understatement. Now that it's the end of June and July is approaching, t's time to get this thing rolling. Let's see what Mario has in store.
Quoting for future use.. the cope and excuses seem to be ramping up at incredible pace..

Advertisement
So I took a look at all four and five stars from the ‘23 recruiting class on the 247 composite (450 ish kids) and then narrowed it down into some interesting bullet points. Here’s the data broken down into different categories:

Commits that stuck
April: 29/36 (80.56%)
May: 21/27 (77.78%)
June: 62/75 (82.67%)
July: 97/120 (80.3%)
August: 50/57 (87.2%)

Total = 259/315 (82.2%)

- Surprisingly, 27 of the top 450 ish kids committed in 2021, and 23 of them stayed committed (82.2%)
- Similarly, 29 of the top 450 ish kids committed in January, February, or March of 2022; 24 stayed committed (82.8%)

A bit of a preconceived notion that accepting earlier commits results in more de-commitments.

- Oregon was very involved with flipping kids late, as was Auburn (coaching change makes sense here).
- Clemson does the best job of locking their kids up in the summer (mostly June), followed by Ohio State, UGA, and Texas (a bit odd that this cycle is much slower for them)

I will also add that a fair number of these de-commitments were either kids affected by a coaching change (Stanford + Cincinnati were two of the big ones) or kids being dropped (Texas had a few kids end up at Houston or Texas Tech, Alabama had a kid de-commit and wind up with Arizona, Pitt had a D-lineman end up at Notre Dame, Oregon pillaged Northwestern for a defensive back, etc.)

The point here is - if our strategy is "wait til the season"....well that's not the right strategy.

To say July and August are humongous for us is an understatement. Now that it's the end of June and July is approaching, t's time to get this thing rolling. Let's see what Mario has in store.
Well done. Should be it’s own thread

I think this recruitment is one of the most interesting this year. Tennessee, Miami, and ole **** insiders all feel very confident he picks their respective schools.

Obviously my money is on Garner here, but in a dream scenario you guys take Dylan Stewart from USCjr.

For the most part outside of Kam and Wingo I don’t think we are recruiting the same guys

Advertisement
I can't recall a year where we had recruiting battles with a wider array of programs.
I don’t think Miami is buying players, Atleast not anymore than any other program, but I wonder if the negative publicity that LifeWallet got in 2023 cycle could actually be HELPING Miami going forward. Kids think Miami is just a payday, but then Mario has more attention from kids across the country and allows more battles since Mario is an ace recruiter. I also wonder the same for Spyre in Tennessee with the nico rumors, regardless on if they were true. Curious to y’all’s thoughts here

I don’t think Miami is buying players, Atleast not anymore than any other program, but I wonder if the negative publicity that LifeWallet got in 2023 cycle could actually be HELPING Miami going forward. Kids think Miami is just a payday, but then Mario has more attention from kids across the country and allows more battles since Mario is an ace recruiter. I also wonder the same for Spyre in Tennessee with the nico rumors, regardless on if they were true. Curious to y’all’s thoughts here
A little off topic, but with Heupel there I have kind of viewed Tenn as the SEC version of what Oklahoma was under Riley and that was an explosive O with a pourous D. Do you guys have some bonafide recruiting dudes on the defensive side?

A little off topic, but with Heupel there I have kind of viewed Tenn as the SEC version of what Oklahoma was under Riley and that was an explosive O with a pourous D. Do you guys have some bonafide recruiting dudes on the defensive side?
Rodney garner on the DL is our 2nd best recruiter behind I would argue Kelsey Pope who is over WRs. Might be number 1 on the whole team. Pulled in a great group both years with Heupel in some of the top guys for us. 5* Daevin Hobbs last year was the crown jewel outside of nico IMO. LB recruiting could be better, but Heupel went after our top LBs on his own(Arion Carter) to close them out. DB recruiting actually is solid but we will see. Ultimately I feel our defense is better than most think, but being on the field for 40-45 minutes means we need better depth to take the next step. But watch the beginning of games and our defense can be smothering and a big part of our team’s success is the stifling defense to begin and the offense quick start makes other offenses one dimensional.

Advertisement
If that's what's happening, it's fine with me. I'm not a recruiting moralist.

I think this recruitment is one of the most interesting this year. Tennessee, Miami, and ole **** insiders all feel very confident he picks their respective schools.

Obviously my money is on Garner here, but in a dream scenario you guys take Dylan Stewart from USCjr.

For the most part outside of Kam and Wingo I don’t think we are recruiting the same guys
I think its between Miami and Tennessee. I woulda thought Tennessee is in the lead but after that UV even after his OV i had to reconsider. These DL seem to be really receptive, even star struck by Jason Taylor. Beat Bama and UF again please

Just curious - what Nico rumors are you referring to? FWIW, many of us here felt Nico was far and away the best QB in the class last year. Look forward to follow him in college.

As for Miami buying players, yeah, it's a reason why we are in it for all these top kids. Mario is a great recruiter but having a solid NIL program set up helps level the playing field against bag schools. We were never a bag school so it was tough to compete against the big boys in recruiting.

Advertisement
I think its between Miami and Tennessee. I woulda thought Tennessee is in the lead but after that UV even after his OV i had to reconsider. These DL seem to be really receptive, even star struck by Jason Taylor. Beat Bama and UF again please
That’s the battle UM and Tennessee

Rodney garner on the DL is our 2nd best recruiter behind I would argue Kelsey Pope who is over WRs. Might be number 1 on the whole team. Pulled in a great group both years with Heupel in some of the top guys for us. 5* Daevin Hobbs last year was the crown jewel outside of nico IMO. LB recruiting could be better, but Heupel went after our top LBs on his own(Arion Carter) to close them out. DB recruiting actually is solid but we will see. Ultimately I feel our defense is better than most think, but being on the field for 40-45 minutes means we need better depth to take the next step. But watch the beginning of games and our defense can be smothering and a big part of our team’s success is the stifling defense to begin and the offense quick start makes other offenses one dimensional.

The Athletic had a great article talking to DCs about what it’s like having an air raid type system as your offense. Nothing about UT specifically from what I remember but an interesting read.

Advertisement
Just curious - what Nico rumors are you referring to? FWIW, many of us here felt Nico was far and away the best QB in the class last year. Look forward to follow him in college.

As for Miami buying players, yeah, it's a reason why we are in it for all these top kids. Mario is a great recruiter but having a solid NIL program set up helps level the playing field against bag schools. We were never a bag school so it was tough to compete against the big boys in recruiting.
8 million dollar NIL, sorry should’ve clarified

I remember when Heupel was a great QB, now poor guy looks like more of an OL than Mario.

Wiltfong
1688059079459.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back