2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they really doing it to themselves when @Cribby is saying it's closer than most think and D$ is leading off the recruiting section of the pod talking about Stone, Miami working aggressively, and having his mom pushing for Miami?

That said, I am not going to fantasize about this kid committing here, especially based on how this recruiting season has gone. If he commits I'll celebrate it and make the necessary offerings to a Hialeah santero so that he actually signs here on ESD. But, I can understand why some people are hopeful in light of recent insider news. I don't share their opinion (because I'm not certain I can trust the true source of any UM recruiting info right now), but I can understand it.
I like that………”The closer than you think,” open ended post. So if it hits, one can be like, “Told you so.” If it doesn’t, then one can make up any explanation, and there’s no way to verify.

Advertisement
what is the exact point being made pointing out how much we pay Mario then? Lol cause if me pointing out the REALITY that he is the 12th highest paid makes your argument fall apart it’s not a very good one.
The point is he was hired to RECRUIT. We spent 80m for elite recruiting. If he doesn't consistently pull top 10 classes what was the point? We could've paid way less for a good Xs and Os coach and put the rest towards NIL which clearly is more important.

Just my two cents....if we don't land these whales now, not going to panic. If our season goes well and these whales see Bain, Taylor, Wayne, and Horton feasting...expect them to flip before NSD. Same goes for the Jeremiah Smith's of the world on offense. We have to win to show that the direction of the program is set on winning and development. Zero stress for me either way boys. Gotta win and they will come
Woah now

Wait Up Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

Advertisement
The point is he was hired to RECRUIT. We spent 80m for elite recruiting. If he doesn't consistently pull top 10 classes what was the point? We could've paid way less for a good Xs and Os coach and put the rest towards NIL which clearly is more important.
…and we are recruiting well, will recruit well long-term, and have good X/O coaches on staff…

Also he wasn’t just hired to recruit. He was hired to build this program into a title contender. It’s more than just recruiting.

…and we are recruiting well, will recruit well long-term, and have good X/O coaches on staff…

Also he wasn’t just hired to recruit. He was hired to build this program into a title contender. It’s more than just recruiting.
Give me an S
Give me an L
Give me a U
Give me an R
Give me a P
Give me an E
Give me an R

SLURPER

Guess y’all don’t like reality.. if you’re gunna say his salary is the reason expectations are so high, why is it wrong for me to point out he’s the 12th highest paid coach. Lol y’all are a joke
Context. Context is why.

1) He was top 8 when he was hired

2) You don’t get to move the needle each year due to inflation (Mahomes is 8th highest paid QB this season, is it okay for him to not be a top 5 QB in 2023?)

3) We had coaches ranked in the 40s for salary pulling top 15 classes like wisdom teeth.

Advertisement

You got it brother

These are two points I take issue with, though admittedly it might be semantics (or a distinction without any practical difference).

Mario was hired to win, not just recruit. But, IMO the Jimmys and Joes > Xs and Os. Mario's path to winning is clearly through recruiting. I don't think even the staunchest slurper would argue against Mario being a better recruiter/closer HC than he is a game day HC or Xs/Os HC. So if Mario isn't consistently recruiting at a top 10 level (still time on that one... fingers are crossed), I'm not going to expect top 10 results. Stated differently, if he's not recruiting we aren't winning.

As far as the money, that's what programs pay these days for those top 15ish HCs. Regardless, I expect my HC to do his job and win games whether he's making $4 million or $8 million per year. Nobody said, "well, ****, Manny is only making about $4 million/year as a HC, so it's ok if we just win 7 games and Clemson destroys us." Otherwise, I'm not the one paying Mario's salary, so it doesn't enter my calculus for expectations.

But, I do find wonder if in this NIL era we would have been better off spending closer to $40 million on some up-and-coming HC, but then adding another $40 million to the NIL warchest. That part of your post is very fair game, and we might have been better off in this era. I suspect it's just a thought experiment though, because we probably don't get boosters to contribute that big warchest without a brand name HC like Mario. But in a world where UM could still raise that money and slide it towards NIL instead of HC salary... yeah, I think you're better off paying for the players.

After those those two points by No Fly Zone I'm going to get rid of my fly swatter. Some very good points and yes he was hired to win.

Holy f^ck this guy doesn’t quit.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Keep pushing the goalposts back. Until something changes in our approach, we’re all going to look very foolish for the May/June/July fluff extravaganza come December. We’ve whiffed on nearly every single D-Line prospect with three uncommitted ones left in play, and the national perception is we’ll whiff on all three. Some people still think we’re “ok”???

LOL.

Advertisement
After everything I've witnessed I think we get Stone yet Franklin is the one I'm unsure about and would love to add Breyland too

If we walk out of the current bloodbath that is DT recruiting with those three, that erases everything about DT recruiting this cycle. I'm hoping for it
Jim Carrey Yes GIF

If we land those 3 and someone still questions DT recruiting I think it’s safe to label them a mope

I’m a little ****ed you’ve been drinking and didn’t invite the rest of us…

These are two points I take issue with, though admittedly it might be semantics (or a distinction without any practical difference).

Mario was hired to win, not just recruit. But, IMO the Jimmys and Joes > Xs and Os. Mario's path to winning is clearly through recruiting. I don't think even the staunchest slurper would argue against Mario being a better recruiter/closer HC than he is a game day HC or Xs/Os HC. So if Mario isn't consistently recruiting at a top 10 level (still time on that one... fingers are crossed), I'm not going to expect top 10 results. Stated differently, if he's not recruiting we aren't winning.

As far as the money, that's what programs pay these days for those top 15ish HCs. Regardless, I expect my HC to do his job and win games whether he's making $4 million or $8 million per year. Nobody said, "well, ****, Manny is only making about $4 million/year as a HC, so it's ok if we just win 7 games and Clemson destroys us." Otherwise, I'm not the one paying Mario's salary, so it doesn't enter my calculus for expectations.

But, I do find wonder if in this NIL era we would have been better off spending closer to $40 million on some up-and-coming HC, but then adding another $40 million to the NIL warchest. That part of your post is very fair game, and we might have been better off in this era. I suspect it's just a thought experiment though, because we probably don't get boosters to contribute that big warchest without a brand name HC like Mario. But in a world where UM could still raise that money and slide it towards NIL instead of HC salary... yeah, I think you're better off paying for the players.

Strong use of distinction without a difference… ✅

Advertisement
1. He never pulled consecutive top-10 classes at Oregon, but he averaged better than a top-10 class.

2. Who are the CIS approved coaches that make considerably less than 8 mil per?

3. We’re not broke.

1. He never pulled consecutive top-10 classes at Oregon, but he averaged better than a top-10 class.

3. We’re not broke.

3. We’re not broke.
1. This isn’t Oregon, we’re in the most talent rich area in the entire country

2. Who cares who CIS approves, most on here are retarded

3. Prove it by landing some elite players then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back