DL Coach search

Would have gone with Fried Green Tomatoes or Steel Magnolias myself - more of a southern motif, and much weepier.

Couldn’t tell you the first thing about those movies, but ****, fried green tomatoes - that shlt is crack. I’m not even lying, my mouth is watering, and I think maybe I’ve only eaten them like 5 or 6 times in my life.

Advertisement
Couldn’t tell you the first thing about those movies, but ****, fried green tomatoes - that shlt is crack. I’m not even lying, my mouth is watering, and I think maybe I’ve only eaten them like 5 or 6 times in my life.

OCC-If you ever in Juliette, Ga off I-75 south of Atlanta, find the Whistle Stop Cafe, yes same as in movie, but their fried green tomatoes or worth driving from Miami for.

Disagree that it's a step down. He's not the DL coach in Atlanta, he's a defensive assistant. From the various articles I've read his real passion is being on the field and coaching every day so I think he'd consider the opportunity to be the guy at Miami. Before Quinn hired him he was hired to be DL coach at Georgia State, so it's not like he was coaching DL at Bama or Ohio State before Atlanta. I think he'd take the DL coach gig here for a few years and then jump to either a DC position somewhere or back to the NFL. And I'm totally fine with that.

This is my reasoning on "step down". Currently he's being utilized as a DL Assistant but only few people in the NFL are given that wide a berth of responsibilities and done it very well. But Ghost who really knows what on his mind?

My guess is that he wouldn't want to pair down his responsibilities and limit himself to only the DL if he went back to College coaching. But as I said IF he would I think he'd be a great hire

Not sure about that. First, we are not sure what he wants to ultimately become. He is basically right now assisting and supporting the DL coach and DC. He is learning his chops to eventually coach. If he truly wants to get his hands dirty coaching guys, then UM may be an opportunity to actually apply to the coaching aspect what he is learning on the technical and evaluating end. DL will be a stepping stone to maybe a DC position if that is his goal. Why not start at NFL U with the right compensation?

And I don't get the sense Diaz is lacking in any confidence about what he does. If he is, he should not be coaching at this level.

I don't think Diaz lacks confidence my concern is one of adaptability and limitations. Don't get me wrong he's done a good job to date, .....but I have noticed that in all of past jobs after the shock and awe of his blitzing attacking scheme is adjusted to by other teams his overall effectiveness went down and he had no answer.

Maybe he's changed.

In his defense, the lack of offense last year really put him on the spot and I cannot say that the defense usually gave us every opportunity to win. I also admit that I'm picking nits and projecting what happened to him in the past will also happen here.

Having a lot better offense will definitely help.

Advertisement
Not sure about that. First, we are not sure what he wants to ultimately become. He is basically right now assisting and supporting the DL coach and DC. He is learning his chops to eventually coach. If he truly wants to get his hands dirty coaching guys, then UM may be an opportunity to actually apply to the coaching aspect what he is learning on the technical and evaluating end. DL will be a stepping stone to maybe a DC position if that is his goal. Why not start at NFL U with the right compensation?

And I don't get the sense Diaz is lacking in any confidence about what he does. If he is, he should not be coaching at this level.

After I posted just read that we just hired him. So you were right

I don't think Diaz lacks confidence my concern is one of adaptability and limitations. Don't get me wrong he's done a good job to date, .....but I have noticed that in all of past jobs after the shock and awe of his blitzing attacking scheme is adjusted to by other teams his overall effectiveness went down and he had no answer.

Maybe he's changed.

In his defense, the lack of offense last year really put him on the spot and I cannot say that the defense usually gave us every opportunity to win. I also admit that I'm picking nits and projecting what happened to him in the past will also happen here.

Having a lot better offense will definitely help.

I don't disagree with any of what you wrote. There are times where I don't get some of the persistence on the zone schemes he uses on the back end giving way too much cushion and neutralizing any of the effects of pressure on the front end. I think that may have had some to do with trust in his secondary personnel. I would hope now that he is getting more infusion of talent in the secondary he can man up and also consistently employ more versatile alignments like a 4-2-5 to have the most athletic and fastest guys out there. I think he is the right guy though for today's type of RPO offenses. You need fast, attacking defenses to disrupt the flow of these offenses and force the qb to make quick, hopefully costly decisions. I am hoping he just needs the horses to run his defense more effectively.

I don't disagree with any of what you wrote. There are times where I don't get some of the persistence on the zone schemes he uses on the back end giving way too much cushion and neutralizing any of the effects of pressure on the front end. I think that may have had some to do with trust in his secondary personnel. I would hope now that he is getting more infusion of talent in the secondary he can man up and also consistently employ more versatile alignments like a 4-2-5 to have the most athletic and fastest guys out there. I think he is the right guy though for today's type of RPO offenses. You need fast, attacking defenses to disrupt the flow of these offenses and force the qb to make quick, hopefully costly decisions. I am hoping he just needs the horses to run his defense more effectively.

Me too.

My biggest concern is how well some teams ran on us. BUT he did an impressive job shutting down Notre Dame which made the world right for me again.

Everyone has things that they can do better .....but perfection escape all of us, so its good when its only small nits that people can complain about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back