2025 DJ Pickett 5* Safety from Zephyrhills

As a Ravens fan I can tell you, Wink Martindale's Defense is going to get shredded badly against teams with a viable passing attack.

He's an extreme Blitzer & that works against teams with bad OL's & bad QB's. But once it gets on tape how to time up those Blitzes, that Defense is going to get picked apart.

Texas, USC, Oregon & OH ST are going to love to playing against Martindale.
This sounds oddly familiar. Did you just copy and paste lispy's profile?

Advertisement
As a Ravens fan I can tell you, Wink Martindale's Defense is going to get shredded badly against teams with a viable passing attack.

He's an extreme Blitzer & that works against teams with bad OL's & bad QB's. But once it gets on tape how to time up those Blitzes, that Defense is going to get picked apart.

It’s weird bc in the nfl his defenses were usually good so idk they could be even better in college playing the way he wants them to ply

It’s weird bc in the nfl his defenses were usually good so idk they could be even better in college playing the way he wants them to ply
They weren't though, that's the point.

He was able to create the appearance of a Good Defense because he's a Heavy Heavy Blitzer, similar to how Manny used to create the illusion of Good Defense in 2016 & 2017. It was good havoc rate stats & lots of TFL's/Sacks, but in critical moments when we needed to get stops & the Defenses need to be more disciplined they would get shredded.

He also benefitted from having Lamar Jackson as our QB because of the system the Ravens ran offensively at that time, opposing Offenses didn't get as many possessions.

Martindale's Defense will work in college against inferior opponents, but against teams that have equal level talent, it's not gonna work. Especially considering the massive amounts of loss Mich is going to undergo due to the draft & Coaching turnover.

Plus, the jig is up on their scheme; they can't cheat anymore like they've been doing since 2021, so they playing field will be back even again.

How does Mario not belong?

With Kirby, sure.

But Lanning has had 2 good years as a head coach but hasn't even won a conf championship yet. Brian Kelly has had some good records but still hasn't won anything. And Sherrone Moore hasn't even had his own team yet.
Mario probably wouldn’t have won the Pac 12 the past two years if he stayed at Oregon either. He never dealt with more than two ranked teams at end of season in conference. The last two years there have been 6, and 3. The overall talent of the conference has been much higher than when Mario was there.

Advertisement
Mario probably wouldn’t have won the Pac 12 the past two years if he stayed at Oregon either. He never dealt with more than two ranked teams at end of season in conference. The last two years there have been 6, and 3. The overall talent of the conference has been much higher than when Mario was there.
Oh sure he couldn't beat Washington when he went into the shoe and beat OSU. It's unknown what would have happened.

I tend to agree, but would say this...Mario went into Columbus and beat Ohio State that had Stroud at QB, Smith-Jgiba, Wilson, and Olave at WR. He also beat an undefeated Utah team ranked #5 for PAC 12 title in 2019. I would argue Willinghams best team he has had, and was going to playoff had they beaten Oregon.

Miami & Mario know how bad they need this. UM hasn’t signed a top 10 nationally ranked DB since Kenny Phillips in 2005. Going on two decades.

Pickett is ranked 8th in composite and it might be too low. He’s a top 5 overall player this cycle. Close it out
This is HARD to comprehend.. had to clutch imaginary pearls when I read this lol.. sad

Advertisement

@Memnon

Quick question what's your opinion of Dolphins new D coordinator(Anthony Weaver) and how he will fit with what we have player wise?

Thanks

I agree with that. My point was that it's not like the coaches listed have a whole lot of accomplishments themselves as head coaches (besides Kirby).

So good to not see bama in every elite DBs finalists lol, uga replacing them of course but thats one less team to worry about in Florida
UGA was already there, I'd say either Oregon or osu would be replacing Bama.

Advertisement
@Memnon

Quick question what's your opinion of Dolphins new D coordinator(Anthony Weaver) and how he will fit with what we have player wise?

Thanks
Dolphins screwed they will be pretty good to decent but can’t use Hill to his full potential cause of Tua. Hill could leak by the D 50-70 down the field but tua can’t reach so u don’t have to really be concerned as dbs. And they have so many weapons to win now and they are squandering it

Pause

They weren't though, that's the point.

He was able to create the appearance of a Good Defense because he's a Heavy Heavy Blitzer, similar to how Manny used to create the illusion of Good Defense in 2016 & 2017. It was good havoc rate stats & lots of TFL's/Sacks, but in critical moments when we needed to get stops & the Defenses need to be more disciplined they would get shredded.

He also benefitted from having Lamar Jackson as our QB because of the system the Ravens ran offensively at that time, opposing Offenses didn't get as many possessions.

Martindale's Defense will work in college against inferior opponents, but against teams that have equal level talent, it's not gonna work. Especially considering the massive amounts of loss Mich is going to undergo due to the draft & Coaching turnover.

Plus, the jig is up on their scheme; they can't cheat anymore like they've been doing since 2021, so they playing field will be back even again.
We shall see Winks D the past 2 years for the giants was pretty good with lots of holes. His defense might actually be better in college bc college QBs aren’t as smart as NFL guys I’m curious to see how it preforms

Advertisement
Mario should also get credit for out recruiting everybody. He had better talent because he went out and took the guys USC wanted.

He could have kept him if he made him DC.

Having a chance to hire Wink Martindale was a no brainer. He was one who created that Ravens scheme that everyone is fawning over and mentored Mike MacDonald and Jessie Minter.

Dude has like 5 coaches who coached under him in the last 3 years that are current HC/DC (MacDonald, Minter, Zach Orr, Anthony Weaver, D’anthony Lynn) and another couple in the pipeline.

Miami & Mario know how bad they need this. UM hasn’t signed a top 10 nationally ranked DB since Kenny Phillips in 2005. Going on two decades.

Pickett is ranked 8th in composite and it might be too low. He’s a top 5 overall player this cycle. Close it out
I agree with everything you said. Only thing I’ll add is we signed Tracy Howard in 2012. Doesn’t really mean much ultimately because what it’s about is stacking chips. Not signing one 5 star here and there.

Need to close this kid in a bad way.

I agree. If he does have any degree of success it’ll be year one. I think Harbaugh just played a role in him landing there.

Advertisement
Back