2024 DJ Lagway - QB

We said the same thing about Golden going into 2014. Coming off 9-4 year, team was loaded with returning talent (ranked preseason) & we were saying 8/9 wins & great HS class minimum to see 2015. Well team went 6-7 (with 30+ NFL players) & finished 27th on trail.

We watched a masterclass effort by Golden hyping up Brad Kaaya as the best thing since sliced bread, our fanbase & BOT bought it too.

Not really comparable, IMHO. Billy Gapier was 5-7 last season and 6-7 the prior year. He's hemorrhaging coaches and staff. But for Lagway, his recruiting would've hit a wall last season (it likely will this season). And the NCAA has been gutted (no "cloud years" for Slingblade).

Meanwhile FU's AD whacked Mullen (whom he'd hired... 34-15 at FU) after a 5-6 COVID year, two seasons removed from what would have been an $EC championship if Marco Wilson is anything but a complete and total idiot. We had beta Blake doing beta Blake things, though it is an admittedly different financial reality for both teams today (better for us, worse for them), absolutely.

Talk about the financial repercussions of the move? Valid and Slingblade's only potential saving grace (assuming Lagway plays up to expectations). But, even that will only give him so much rope.

All of that said, if we've reached a point in time when the FU HC can go back-to-back bowl-less seasons in years 2 and 3, and not get fired before year 4, I'll be thrilled to so it.

Advertisement
Not really comparable, IMHO. Billy Gapier was 5-7 last season and 6-7 the prior year. He's hemorrhaging coaches and staff. But for Lagway, his recruiting would've hit a wall last season (it likely will this season). And the NCAA has been gutted (no "cloud years" for Slingblade).

Meanwhile FU's AD whacked Mullen (whom he'd hired... 34-15 at FU) after a 5-6 COVID year, two seasons removed from what would have been an $EC championship if Marco Wilson is anything but a complete and total idiot. We had beta Blake doing beta Blake things, though it is an admittedly different financial reality for both teams today (better for us, worse for them), absolutely.

Talk about the financial repercussions of the move? Valid and Slingblade's only potential saving grace (assuming Lagway plays up to expectations). But, even that will only give him so much rope.

All of that said, if we've reached a point in time when the FU HC can go back-to-back bowl-less seasons in years 2 and 3, and not get fired before year 4, I'll be thrilled to so it.
Valid points. Although I do think Mullen is a different situation. Think Mullen was cut early due to the politics of it. He’s always been a stubborn ******* who thinks he’s the smartest in the room (similar to Lane). That rubs people the wrong way. Being a **** but being the very good at your job is acceptable, but as soon as mediocrity creeps in….

I guess it would all depend on what UF expects and how much they love their AD. Stricklin won’t fire Napier so it’s either both gone or both stay. They ready to pull that? Stricklin seems to do everything at a high level besides football

The energy that first game in the swamp is gonna be **** for us.
1) they aren't as bad as many here want to believe.
2) first game of the year
3) huge winnable rivalry game
You're right they're worse. They will be lucky to win 5 games.

Advertisement
DJ is the goods, obviously he needs mechanical work, but in terms of his base (size, strength, speed) he’s up there with AR, Cam & Vince. Id even venture to say he’s more advanced with footwork and throwing motion than either of the three above were at same age.

The problem is, it doesn’t matter if he’s the best thing since sliced bread, if you call a **** scheme and have a swiss cheese OL & a defense that looks like it plays with 10, it won’t matter how good your QB performs.

I appreciate the perspective, but no way in **** is he on AR/Cam/VinceY level. No way dude. He's just simply not near the runner of either of those guys. Albeit, he does have some arm talent.

I appreciate the perspective, but no way in **** is he on AR/Cam/VinceY level. No way dude. He's just simply not near the runner of either of those guys. Albeit, he does have some arm talent.
Think you’re sleeping on his running ability at his size. He topped out at over 21mph during a game this past season. Ran for 1K yards and 16 TDs…. At 230lbs.

His build and speed is very similar to Cam

I replied but this site refreshed (on Brave) and I lost everything.

I don’t want to redo the whole thing, so I’ll say you’re not wrong about Golden hyping Bard Kaayak as the savior and subsequently having the bottom fall out of a good team.

If Ward gets hurt, this is a 7-5 team at best.

You’re saying that without Ward, but with an average quarterback, this is a 7–5 team? I’m not trying to put you on the spot or play gotcha, I’m just interested into why you think that. It’s a legit question.

Me, I’m not so sure.

I really haven’t given it deep thought, as to what would happen under those circumstances with just an average or slightly above average QB. I mean, I would hope that we are better than 7–5 even with just an average or slightly above average QB, but I’m not sure, and I haven’t really done a deep dive to give a hard and fast opinion/prediction.

You’re saying that without Ward, but with an average quarterback, this is a 7–5 team? I’m not trying to put you on the spot or play gotcha, I’m just interested into why you think that. It’s a legit question.

Me, I’m not so sure.

I really haven’t given it deep thought, as to what would happen under those circumstances with just an average or slightly above average QB. I mean, I would hope that we are better than 7–5 even with just an average or slightly above average QB, but I’m not sure, and I haven’t really done a deep dive to give a hard and fast opinion/prediction.

It would be a combination of -

+ Conservative play calling directive from the head corch. We saw him do it last year with TVD.
+ Lack of playmaker to overcome a mediocre QB.
+ Lack of depth at DT, combined with more field time/plays due to a slow offense would test the depth there.

Advertisement
Yep and tough for Mertz.. not that I care.. but he’s in a bad position. If he plays poorly, he’s going to have a super short leash and get replaced. Even if he’s playing good, he’s not good enough for it to matter when they start losing… Billy is getting fired and the next guy (interim) is going to be forced to play Lagway so they can make a decision whether they want to pony up $ to keep him for the next guy or just let him walk and full on rebuild.
I don’t believe he will get fired this year regardless, They can’t afford his buy out , the previous coach and hire a good coach. Just my opinion

Advertisement
Advertisement
It was a nice throw. Two safeties closing in, it wasn't wide open. There was a window there he had to fit it in.

The kid is very talented. Luckily, he won't be the starter week 1 so probably we won't have to deal with him.
Either way it would be tough sledding to come out week 1 against Guidry for a young qb.

UF 247 is reporting that he was 12-21 173 yards 2 TDs and 1 INT. All that in a completely controlled environment for him to have success. I hope they roll him out there week 1.

Advertisement
Back