2024 DJ Lagway - QB

Lol. I tried to tell the coaches he was up for grabs and really wanted to be a Cane... I know I've beat a dead horse but it's true. This one really really frustrates me
You mentioned way back that Mario recruits like it’s Bama and attributed some of their lack of interest to that philosophy. Any chance you expound on that recruiting philosophy?

Advertisement
Worry not friends as I'm sure the new head coach will get a better QB next year.

You mentioned way back that Mario recruits like it’s Bama and attributed some of their lack of interest to that philosophy. Any chance you expound on that recruiting philosophy?

Just like with this recruitment we "big time" kids. We don't pursue them and it creates gaps that we have a hard time closing later when we really want to turn it up. What if I told you Gattis has been to American Heritage once, and Kevin Smith and Coach Addae twice... how can you have a home field advantage when you see kids less than Ohio State and UF and it's 30 minutes from campus and loaded the next 2-3 years. That's just one example

Just like with this recruitment we "big time" kids. We don't pursue them and it creates gaps that we have a hard time closing later when we really want to turn it up. What if I told you Gattis has been to American Heritage once, and Kevin Smith and Coach Addae twice... how can you have a home field advantage when you see kids less than Ohio State and UF and it's 30 minutes from campus and loaded the next 2-3 years. That's just one example

That sounds really familiar to past Miami staffs’ recruiting efforts, which is utterly astounding. Getting outworked on the trail and skullf***** on the field.

No bueno.

Advertisement
That sounds really familiar to past Miami staffs’ recruiting efforts, which is utterly astounding. Getting outworked on the trail and skullf***** on the field.

No bueno.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are the best in person staff in the country. And we have a few major financial backers that will keep us locked in with NIL.

We have to step up our support staff and get more grassroots locally. Kids are smart. They know it will be a lot easier for them to stay home in a 12 team playoff and play for chips. If we just make a few tweaks we could be set. But I'm a little skeptical right now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are the best in person staff in the country. And we have a few major financial backers that will keep us locked in with NIL.

We have to step up our support staff and get more grassroots locally. Kids are smart. They know it will be a lot easier for them to stay home in a 12 team playoff and play for chips. If we just make a few tweaks we could be set. But I'm a little skeptical right now.
As well funded and as familiar with what goes on locally with recruiting as he is, you'd think he'd have grassroots issues covered.

Ah f*ck. I thought this kind of **** would get solved with Mario at the tip of the spear. This is Manny level effort on behalf of the assistant coaches. Geez.

Thanks for taking the time to respond though!

Lol. I tried to tell the coaches he was up for grabs and really wanted to be a Cane... I know I've beat a dead horse but it's true. This one really really frustrates me
since the O staff is gonna get **** canned, just out which coach refused to recruit him

Advertisement
I really, truly thought the days of having to hear things like this were in the past.

either this is cap or this is a fireable offense

Mario is having success on the trail in spite of most of the coaches he is paying. He is absolutely the best head coach recruiter in the country in person. He's just too reliant on his own ability IMO.
From different peoples takes, it seems like a lot of his staff aren’t holding their weight recruiting. There’s a lot that just isn’t adding up in terms of who he hired and how it has shaken out and how he is managing things. He has to be too reliant on his own ability right now because 3/4 of his staff isn’t doing **** all. I really have no idea how the program got here after last year’s excitement.

Advertisement
Disappointed in Smith. He’s supposed to be a good recruiter. If he’s even remotely lumped in with those two buffoons, then he needs to be shown the door as well.

Fletcher is the best back we have a realistic chance of getting left. He should be a shoe-in ‘Cane with his background. The fact that UF is remotely in the convo is disgusting, and (in my personal opinion), a huge indictment on Smith.

Disappointed in Smith. He’s supposed to be a good recruiter. If he’s even remotely lumped in with those two buffoons, then he needs to be shown the door as well.

Fletcher is the best back we have a realistic chance of getting left. He should be a shoe-in ‘Cane with his background. The fact that UF is remotely in the convo is disgusting, and (in my personal opinion), a huge indictment on Smith.

And I get where you coming from. You're not knocking UF's staff for putting in work with Fletcher, you're saying it shouldn't have even came down to giving UF any wiggle room in this recruitment.

Mario is having success on the trail in spite of most of the coaches he is paying. He is absolutely the best head coach recruiter in the country in person. He's just too reliant on his own ability IMO.
The fact that this is happening is honestly deflating. We went 5-7 this season. Now that we know this there is LITERALLY NO EXCUSE for Mario to keep:

Gattis
Addae
Kevin Smith

and anyone that didnt recruit to the level that is expected.

Advertisement

I dont think any of them like each other and dont want to be here lol

Mario (Their boss) has no say in when and where his staff visits certain schools?

In this day and age with NIL and transfer portal craziness 2024 seems sooooo far away! Verbal commitments, now more than ever, don't mean shhhhii.

Advertisement
Back