DJ Ivey impressing

Curious how his career goes now that he's working with different coaches. We all heard for years how great he looked in practice. From multiple sources. Maybe it will transfer to in game settings now.

He's had 4 different DB coaches already in college. Confidence is clearly his issue, not the coaching.

Advertisement
He's had 4 different DB coaches already in college. Confidence is clearly his issue, not the coaching.
Rumph and DVD. Supposedly, Addae wasn't coaching corners last year.

5 then, I forgot about DVD...Banda, Rumph, DVD, Addae, and T-Rob. I'd be hard pressed to believe that Addae, T-Rob, and Banda all neglected to give any input for drills and/or techniques for their corners
Would you consider overall corner play to be good the last few years?

Advertisement
Our defense had two NFL corners, the best safety tandem in America according to PFF, the best edge rusher in the ACC according to PFF, and Leonard Taylor. How was the defense that bad? I realize the whole is not the sum of it's parts but ****.

Would you consider overall corner play to be good the last few years?

I'd consider our corner play since Diaz has gotten here to be highly inconsistent. Seems like everyone has 1 good year then completely lapses after. Blades, Bandy, Michael Jackson, Couch, (who knows how Malek Young would've been in year 2?) and I feel like I'm missing a few names. All had tremendous flashes for a year and seemingly went stale after. Our overall corner play has NOT been above average, but you could say that about our whole team. Full of flash performers with 0 consistency.

Some of y'all need to lighten up. No one (that I know of) has ill wishes toward DJ. Having to add 'best of luck' disclaimers shouldn't be necessary. The consistency of his practice reviews, with multiple college staffs and now even in the NFL, compared to somewhat sketchy gameday performances is FUNNY. Simple as that.

Advertisement
That's kind of sad.

He needs to know, making it to college on a scholarship is a proud accomplishment in it's own right. To add to it, he started how many years and games? He graduated from college.

Those first two things are something that 99 percent of this board couldn't do in any sport and the same is true of those in the stands yelling whatever bs his way. That last part is true to whatever degree as well.

Lastly, he got drafted. I don't care what round, there's not a lot of people that can say that. Someone saw something in him, he needs to believe that version of himself and let the rest go. He's got a chance and not many get to say that.

Say he flops in the NFL, that's okay as well. [BGCOLOR=initial] Everyone has to hang them up at some point. I hope he makes it, but he's carried himself like a man should all along the way, never gave up, and to this point in his life he's got a **** load to be proud of. [/BGCOLOR]
I think you’re massively underestimating the athletic achievements of most fans…

Dance Dancing GIF

I'd consider our corner play since Diaz has gotten here to be highly inconsistent. Seems like everyone has 1 good year then completely lapses after. Blades, Bandy, Michael Jackson, Couch, (who knows how Malek Young would've been in year 2?) and I feel like I'm missing a few names. All had tremendous flashes for a year and seemingly went stale after. Our overall corner play has NOT been above average, but you could say that about our whole team. Full of flash performers with 0 consistency.
That's why I've been highly skeptical of the coaching at corner. We see guys look good right off the bat but the longer they stay, the worse they seem to play. Besides Tyrique, cornerback play has been very sub par the last 4 years or so.

Go be great, young buck.
For real. He never started problems as far as I know, regardless of on field success. Dude represents Miami in the league. His success is our success.

Meanwhile, he got a UM degree without paying or financing tuition, room, board for his athletic abilities and participation. That in itself is a major achievement in the real world.

Advertisement
Fake punt against GTech?
I know you will get mad at me for writing this but I don’t think he processed plays as quick as some other players and that made him appear slower than he actually was. Everyone looks at measurables, and even at preparation, but not enough attention is paid to how quickly people process information. And sports demands processions at lightning speed. Even with great preparation things will happen that demand an alteration to the plan.

I always write the disclaimer that processing speed is not intelligence. There are many intelligent people who don’t process as quickly as others. My daughter is studying to be an electrical engineer. In high school she was a very good softball player and good basketball player. She had perfect shooting form and a great handle. But she was sometimes a half second slow when plays broke down. She was a better softball player because the pace of play allowed her to analyze where to go with the ball before it was put in play. Processing speed.

I hope DJ Ivey succeeds. And I hope there is a system which allows him to do ONE thing becaus then his physical skills will shine. But I’m afraid if he has to make split second decisions the NFL will see the play that we saw the last few years.
Was this the play he looked like he was counting the clouds in the sky? Although, at the time I screamed not nice things at the TV, to me was a symptom of the staff and what a lousy program we had become. There was no accountability anywhere. DJ has the physical traits you want. Don’t be surprised if he makes a roster with some real coaching. My $0.02(inflation adj = $0.005)

Go Canrs!

“I’m intrigued by cornerback DJ Ivey, a 7th-round pick out of the U of Miami who is 6 feet tall with the wingspan of a pterodactyl and 4.46 speed.
“I love DJ Ivey,” said cornerbacks coach Chuck Burks. “I think he has the traits you need to play that position at a high level.”

Quote is from Dan Hoard who covers the Bengals. Of course we all know he was a greentree all American. Still nice to see.
Remember my post from b4 the draft.

This kid has got 8 db coaches to believe in him as a starter.....that wont stop in the NFL.

Kid is how you would draw up a cb prospect. If he just continues the omentum he showed toward the end of last year kid may make a career out of this thing.

From just on field production and draft picks, who’s been our best db coach in the last 10 years?

Advertisement
“I’m intrigued by cornerback DJ Ivey, a 7th-round pick out of the U of Miami who is 6 feet tall with the wingspan of a pterodactyl and 4.46 speed.
“I love DJ Ivey,” said cornerbacks coach Chuck Burks. “I think he has the traits you need to play that position at a high level.”

Quote is from Dan Hoard who covers the Bengals. Of course we all know he was a greentree all American. Still nice to see.
I honestly hope he slays but if we have one more greentree all american who Then excels in the league but sucked here I’m going to start throwing water balloons at our coaches

Plenty of the breakdowns we saw were on dj. But vast majority of them was on the same safeties y'all swear are amazing. Y'all simply don't know what coverages were in and who's assignment is whose. But let's stick with always blame it on the underrated dudes cause it's more convenient than saying that five star safety ****ed up again...
**** Kam the other day in an interview took ownership for mistakes others thought were on Stevenson

Advertisement
Back