Discipline Defense

Cincycane

Redshirt Freshman
After rewatching the UAB game the coaches should be drilling staying disciplined on defense. If this happens i can see us being a very good team because there were too many mental mistakes by not playing assignment football. That's what makes a great team no mental errors if players can't do so put in someone who will. Just my rant because i think its simple fixes to be a great team. Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
My understanding of our defense is that it is somewhat "undisciplined" by design. It is based off creating havoc and capitalizing off those mistakes that come from the havoc. That said, we have to actually catch those interceptions and not kick the fumbles out of bounds. We missed out on at least two TO's against UAB.

Last edited:
I just hate blitzing when the Dline is already causing all the havoc necessary

especially on 3rd and long.... let your Dline eat and play your coverages

Absolutely. Makes zero send to bring 6 when 4-5 are getting there.

And when you chose to, bring a double A-gap blitz that FORCES a QB panic and quick throw or overload one side and drop someone to help close up those huge passing lanes, especially when the blitz is coming from 15 yards away from the striker position. The blitzes i've seen for the last 2 years make little sense with both scheme and down/distance.

Advertisement
My understanding of our defense is that it is somewhat "undisciplined" by design. It is based off creating havoc and capitalizing off those mistakes that come from the havoc. That said, we have to actually catch those interceptions and not kick the fumbles out of bounds. We missed out on at least two TO's against UAB.
I don't think attacking and creating havoc are the same as being undisciplined. Guys still have jobs, places to be, and guys to cover. If our guys aren't where they are supposed to be, it's the other team that's creating the havoc.

After rewatching the UAB game the coaches should be drilling staying disciplined on defense. If this happens i can see us being a very good team because there were too many mental mistakes by not playing assignment football. That's what makes a great team no mental errors if players can't do so put in someone who will. Just my rant because i think its simple fixes to be a great team. Go Canes!!!

If this defense doesn't play more disciplined, Louisville's run and short pass game will eat them up.

Satterfield is really good as designing misdirection and play-action. If the LBs aren't playing sound, it will be 1st quarter VaTech all over again.

I don't think attacking and creating havoc are the same as being undisciplined. Guys still have jobs, places to be, and guys to cover. If our guys aren't where they are supposed to be, it's the other team that's creating the havoc.
I understand and fully believe they all have a job and somewhere to be. What I was getting at is, when you play that type of D, while yes, you do have an assignment, it lends itself to be far more susceptible to be out of place more often than a "regular" D.

If this defense doesn't play more disciplined, Louisville's run and short pass game will eat them up.

Satterfield is really good as designing misdirection and play-action. If the LBs aren't playing sound, it will be 1st quarter VaTech all over again.
You mean Jarren Williams is going to return and throw 3 interceptions and Harley is going to fumble again?

Advertisement
Absolutely. Makes zero send to bring 6 when 4-5 are getting there.

And when you chose to, bring a double A-gap blitz that FORCES a QB panic and quick throw or overload one side and drop someone to help close up those huge passing lanes, especially when the blitz is coming from 15 yards away from the striker position. The blitzes i've seen for the last 2 years make little sense with both scheme and down/distance.
Both points spoken of Greatly, and that's been my problem with blake baker, and is the main reason that 4th and 17 was given up last year, his mental approach to what an aggressive defense is, is the major fundamental flaw on the team, the scheme is decent, to many unnecessary blitzes, than running zone behind it instead of press-man. And primarily mis-use of personnel as well. It's 4th and 17, why is shaq quarterman in the game at that point, he's not going to cover a tight-end down field. Than we blitzing with gilbert frierson from the secondary on a 4th and 17. Why not just blitz with shaq and pickney, we UNC had 3 receivers going out, than the blitz was to the weakside of the qb, instead to his strong side where it would have either forced him to speed up his throw or have to move to his left and make and accurate throw.

Had we played press-man on the side-strong, instead we played press man on the weak-side, send shaq instead of frierson on the blitz, and have pickney drop deep in coverage that game would've been over, UNC went mass protect, didn't even send the tight end out. It was a clown call and showed that baker doesn't have the common sense needed to be an elite d-co and obviously got nervous in the moment. Than after game when he said, "we didn't execute the call properly" man, GTFOH with that bullshat! He shows a 3 man front, than thinks the linebackers we're going to be able to confuse an o-line in mass-pro, by dropping shaq into coverage but bring frierson, 4th and 17 shaq should've never been in coverage. In fact y'all more than likely have done it, but here it is again, the great defenses in any sport understands forcing a team or person to have to beat you with their weakness, blake had a birdseye view of his phucked up call!

Both points spoken of Greatly, and that's been my problem with blake baker, and is the main reason that 4th and 17 was given up last year, his mental approach to what an aggressive defense is, is the major fundamental flaw on the team, the scheme is decent, to many unnecessary blitzes, than running zone behind it instead of press-man. And primarily mis-use of personnel as well. It's 4th and 17, why is shaq quarterman in the game at that point, he's not going to cover a tight-end down field. Than we blitzing with gilbert frierson from the secondary on a 4th and 17. Why not just blitz with shaq and pickney, we UNC had 3 receivers going out, than the blitz was to the weakside of the qb, instead to his strong side where it would have either forced him to speed up his throw or have to move to his left and make and accurate throw.

Had we played press-man on the side-strong, instead we played press man on the weak-side, send shaq instead of frierson on the blitz, and have pickney drop deep in coverage that game would've been over, UNC went mass protect, didn't even send the tight end out. It was a clown call and showed that baker doesn't have the common sense needed to be an elite d-co and obviously got nervous in the moment. Than after game when he said, "we didn't execute the call properly" man, GTFOH with that bullshat! He shows a 3 man front, than thinks the linebackers we're going to be able to confuse an o-line in mass-pro, by dropping shaq into coverage but bring frierson, 4th and 17 shaq should've never been in coverage. In fact y'all more than likely have done it, but here it is again, the great defenses in any sport understands forcing a team or person to have to beat you with their weakness, blake had a birdseye view of his phucked up call!
My bad, here it is:

Advertisement

Diaz had no trouble with Satterfield's offense when we played App State because we maintained gap integrity while getting penetration. There was no unnecessary stunts and we lined up properly. And we only blitzed in obvious passing situations occasionally. Can Baker follow this gameplan?

And its crazy how much better our DB's were when Manny was calling plays 🤔

Advertisement
My bad, here it is:

That's all fine and dandy but you tell me what Hall and Bandy were doing on the play?

F4EE52D2-62A4-4B53-A121-E89A4FB53B7A.jpeg

Coach Baker D.C.

That's all fine and dandy but you tell me what Hall and Bandy were doing on the play?
I don't think you understand the inside-outside reads in zone concepts with a safety and db especially with 2 wide receivers running a route in the same zone, that defensive play-call was doomed from the start and should've never been called or checked out of, to make matters worst, when you have a green-so so d-co, like enos, he'd be real insecure having his players check out of his calls.

Or if you understand zone defenses in basketball, they are designed to keep your offense on the outside and test to see if you have consistent outside shooters, but if the ball ends up on the middle inside, now it's basically 3 offensive players against 2 defenders, advantage, offense, cause once the help defender comes open, their is going to be a hole somewhere.

Advertisement
Back