Difference Makers ?!

Whatever happened to “Be the change you want to see”??! These kids have grown up in this “On demand” society.
I think Mario will change and get the right OC. One thing for sure , there is no one on this earth that bleeds more orange and green than him.
Just like he did last year , if he has to let go of entire staff he will do that until it’s right. But one thing he has to learn is to stop being such a micromanager.
How do we know he’s micro-managing?

Advertisement
A. Richards😤 .. yes but he had to hang it up so we really never seen his ceiling.
B. Jordan 🫤
Njoku 🫤
Miller was good but not to the point where every time he touch the ball it made you say “Here we gooo”! Sooo😐
All those guys were drafted pretty highly. None of those guys were Andre Johnson’s or Santana Moss but there’s only 4-5 of those elite difference makers in CFB each year.

IMO we have had enough speed, talent to be better than we have been. We are actually seeing some of those kids come here in Smith, George, Young is a matchup problem for most DB’s, Ray Ray, CJJ yet we still don’t use them or use them effectively. At a certain point it comes down to we don’t use the available talent effectively or at all.

Out of the four losses we have had this year other than Walker for UNC and Coleman and Benson for FSU who else has been a difference maker?

In the last 10 years:

Berrios
Rousseau
Phillips
Coley
Richards
Jordan
Duke
Perryman
Willis
Jaquan

That's all I got.
Would u retire any of those jerseys based on play ? ! We have not had a guy worthy of that in over 20 years ! 😞

Advertisement
Would u retire any of those jerseys based on play ? ! We have not had a guy worthy of that in over 20 years ! 😞
I think Berrios, Duke, and Jaquan are all borderline Ring of Honor guys at a school who actually puts people in the Ring of Honor.

I think Berrios, Duke, and Jaquan are all borderline Ring of Honor guys at a school who actually puts people in the Ring of Honor.
Duke for sure! But idk bout Berrios and Jaquan and I loved all 3 of their playing!

I look at it this way. A difference maker is the type of player that the other team is mentioning specifically by name or number when the’re prepping for the game because he’s that dangerous.

We’ve had very few of those the last several years. Guys like Berrios and Jaquan are nice players, but no opposing team was shaking in their boots over them.

Phillips fit that criteria. I’d say Duke too. Brevin was close. Jeff Thomas had the talent but didn’t play nearly enough to have a real impact. Rosseau probably would have been if he hadn’t sat out.

Advertisement
The only difference makers that matters is,
Jalen Rivers
Javion Cohen
Matt Lee
Anez Cooper
Francis Mauigoa
&
Cam McCormick

It’s about the ternches!

I look at it this way. A difference maker is the type of player that the other team is mentioning specifically by name or number when the’re prepping for the game because he’s that dangerous.

We’ve had very few of those the last several years. Guys like Berrios and Jaquan are nice players, but no opposing team was shaking in their boots over them.

Phillips fit that criteria. I’d say Duke too. Brevin was close. Jeff Thomas had the talent but didn’t play nearly enough to have a real impact. Rosseau probably would have been if he hadn’t sat out.
You hit the nail on the head!! 💯

The only difference makers that matters is,
Jalen Rivers
Javion Cohen
Matt Lee
Anez Cooper
Francis Mauigoa
&
Cam McCormick

It’s about the ternches!
True but when was the last time OL player scored a TD?! When need guys that can put points on the board!

Advertisement
For a while, UM was still putting players into the NFL, and they stuck around. Perryman, Burns, Feliciano, Duke, Jaquan, Berrios, Osborne, Njoku. That stopped around 6-7 years ago. The team has been stuck in 1st gear. When the talent was around, the coaching misused it. That caused talented recruits, the difference makers mentioned in another post, to choose other programs. Mario has started to bring talent back to Miami, but that won't last if the team continues struggling to reach 7-5.

The problems at QB illustrate the problem. The top QB recruits aren't interested in an anemic offense scheme and you can see that in the incoming 2024 class. Judd Anderson is UM's 3-star commit at QB. Except for Mississippi, the other programs that showed interest in him were at the same level as UM. So, Mario might bring in top OL, DL, LB, DB and receiving talent, at least in the short term. But without a dynamic offense and a NFL-quality QB that can keep up with the competition, Mario will find it difficult to bring talent in, fans will call for a change, and the whole cycle starts over.

The cycle might have cracked a bit with a knee and a 4-and-1 conversion to put the team at 8-2 right now. Heck, 27-20 against FSU is even better than many would have predicted. But, alas, the team is 6-4 and possibly on track for a 6-6 season and another meaningless bowl. The cycle continues.
Yeah but those players mentioned in the first paragraph aren’t difference makers. Our talent evals have gone to crap.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back