didn't realize NIL money was like this

All true...at this point should the universities just drop the "student" part from student-athlete?

For (P2/3/4) football and (high major) hoops, yes. 100%

The term "student-athlete" died the moment NIL, the portal, and unlimited transfers became reality. The players are paid mercenaries. What we root for is semi-pro football and hoops.

Advertisement
It's hilarious to see so many people always policing someone else's finances...

Based on the prevailing political ideology, aren't yall supposed to be against telling other people what to do with their money?

I guess that only applies to a select few.
Until I am no longer forced to pay, under the law, for others' financial decisions, I will continue to criticize the financial behavior of others.

And I will always say posting about buying things for other people is cringe, whether that's Mr. Beast or a boyfriend/girlfriend, or whatever.

Last edited:
Do people really think that he actually bought this house straight up lol
People believed that the houses and cars they saw on "MTV Cribs" actually belonged to the celebrities on the show. It's the reason people post these types of things on social media.

Myself, I'd rather everyone assume I was broke. Nothing good can come from a bunch of strangers thinking you have way more money than you really do.

Advertisement
It's hilarious to see so many people always policing someone else's finances...

Based on the prevailing political ideology, aren't yall supposed to be against telling other people what to do with their money?

I guess that only applies to a select few.
not speaking for any one else, but as the op i was caught off guard by the amount a 3star DT would get ... that's just my opinion ... what we does with said money is not my concern ... it speaks more to how uf is running things ...

Until I am no longer forced to pay, under the law, for others' financial decisions, I will continue to criticize the financial behavior of others.

And I will always say posting about buying things for other people is cringe, whether that's Mr. Beast or a boyfriend/girlfriend, or whatever.
So let's see your bank statements & make sure that every purchase you've ever made was up to standard.

That's not nearly as heartwarming as Beck at UGA. If the universities really cared about the kids, they'd make financial management a required class for every one of them who receives NIL money.

Bad choice

Advertisement
Do people really think that he actually bought this house straight up lol

For real. He could easily close with a down payment in the 25k range. I don’t know where the house is but probably even less pretty easily. He probably got something like 25k and closed on a house for his mom. No chance this is a six figure NIL deal.

Advertisement
People believed that the houses and cars they saw on "MTV Cribs" actually belonged to the celebrities on the show. It's the reason people post these types of things on social media.

Myself, I'd rather everyone assume I was broke. Nothing good can come from a bunch of strangers thinking you have way more money than you really do.
You wouldn't believe the lengths I go to sell that image.

Advertisement
I have very good friends whose boys are receiving 300k as an ILB and the same as a WR. Now both are experienced and have stats to back up their NIL deals, so maybe this recruit is receiving 150-200k. Either way, my point is that he is receiving enough to substantially help his mom purchase a home.

300k annual or over the course of their 3-5 years with the program? Because I was under the (no insider) impression that non headliner-starters were making 50-75k annual, which would align with the latter scenario. 300k annual seems really high, would essentially mean teams need 25M NIL budgets just to keep their 85 guys not counting headliners like Ward et al.

Why are you so triggered? Kid bought a house. Your comment about a rental is false.
Not triggered. I could care less about this kid or UF or even the specifics of any given NIL deal. I was just approaching the conversation from a NIL budget perspective. Don’t see how any team could afford to pay 85 kids house purchasing money. And since this kid is just an average kid for UF, the implication is UF would need a massive annual NIL budget to compete. e.g. per my above post, if kids like this are getting 300K annually that would equate to 25M across 85 scholarship players plus whatever the top players require over and above that.

Based on some of these responses, I have a sense a lot of people here aren't homeowners.

Assuming a $400K home --> 10% down for a first time buyer --> $40K + taxes and closing costs (we can round that up to $50K, though it should be less). That's about $2.5K a month in principal + interest for the mortgage, maybe another $500-$1K monthly in property taxes, insurance, and potentially PMI/HOA/escrow depending on location. ****, add another $500 a month in utilities.

He could probably have mom covered for the down and first full year's payments/taxes/insurance/utilities with ~$100K. If he's covering the down payment while the monthly payments and utilities are split between him and his mother, he could easily make this happen on $75K annual NIL.

Advertisement
Back