Did we not trim enough?

skeeter

Junior
Premium
There's some portal talent out there (I'm not saying every name is a must have or a need for us)…But Gabby talking about roster numbers are tight? I mean we all know they are tight (currently over, but that's usually fine during spring)

Yet… C. Washington, Redding…And to a lesser extent (maybe they are still competing for snaps) C.Smith, Balom, Denis (is he a medical hardship?) are still on the roster. I'm actually surprised more names didn't enter the portal?

I also don't believe we have room for both Citizen/Parrish on the roster right now (I mean especially if you gotta keep Allen because you brought him in). Zion Nelson and Cam McCormick aren't seriously going to be on this roster moving forward are they?

For those around the program…I've read on here CMC will help kids find landing spots. Is this a case where a few of these kids will be let known their status at the start of spring? Hey guys there is a group of 5-6 of you that are playing for 2-3 roster spots…We will let you know where you stand after spring ball? Plus they can watch the continued development of Harris/Williams/Riley at safety decide if we need another one there, etc...

Advertisement
There is another window for portal.
Maybe he'll work the portal bring in guys and push some out come spring.
Also, can't be one for one for portal also have incoming FR, rather build a roster via that and retain, then live the portal life.

Advertisement
Also, can't be one for one for portal also have incoming FR, rather build a roster via that and retain, then live the portal life.

Oh I agree 1000% on your last sentence. But you still gotta manage it correctly. I just thought we'd see 2 or more names head out.

There's some portal talent out there (I'm not saying every name is a must have or a need for us)…But Gabby talking about roster numbers are tight? I mean we all know they are tight (currently over, but that's usually fine during spring)

Yet… C. Washington, Redding…And to a lesser extent (maybe they are still competing for snaps) C.Smith, Balom, Denis (is he a medical hardship?) are still on the roster. I'm actually surprised more names didn't enter the portal?

I also don't believe we have room for both Citizen/Parrish on the roster right now (I mean especially if you gotta keep Allen because you brought him in). Zion Nelson and Cam McCormick aren't seriously going to be on this roster moving forward are they?

For those around the program…I've read on here CMC will help kids find landing spots. Is this a case where a few of these kids will be let known their status at the start of spring? Hey guys there is a group of 5-6 of you that are playing for 2-3 roster spots…We will let you know where you stand after spring ball? Plus they can watch the continued development of Harris/Williams/Riley at safety decide if we need another one there, etc...
We don't HAVE to keep anyone. There are essentially unlimited transfers allowed now so anyone could be shown the door at literally any point.

Advertisement
We don't HAVE to keep anyone. There are essentially unlimited transfers allowed now so anyone could be shown the door at literally any point.

That's what I'm saying… When I hear things like we are tight on schollys are tight…I respect the way CMC did it in year one or two, and I think that it helps with locals and building things for the future (compared to the Deion way for instance).

I just can't see how we possibly can't bring a quality corner/another safety, etc…because "numbers" are tight? If "numbers are tight" (and we all have an idea of where they are)…Why is Chris Washington still on the team? I'm not saying every player that doesn't play should be cut, and I understand you don't want say 11-12 OL on the team. But how are you keeping all of Denis, Washington, Sap on the roster? We have enough WR on the roster with what we are bringing in…Why is Michael Redding still on the team? It's year 3 and we need to improve.

Again, I'm not yelling to cut every back up and roll it over every year. But there's still a little dead weight that can be trimmed imo and hopefully it is after spring. As I said in the original post here, I'm thinking maybe 5-6 players have been informed that they are playing for 2-3 spots which may even be decreased if a portal home run wants to come in.

Some of those guys may be working on graduating so they won't be restricted to portal windows.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter until fall camp right? We never need to worry about the numbers. I'm not sure why we discuss scholarship numbers so much on message boards like we have any influence or reason to worry.

I mean the guys on the roster know who's spots are at risk.

Mario will take guys who upgrade the team at positions of need and then figure out the numbers later.

There will be plenty of tough conversations after spring I'm sure.

Advertisement
Some of those guys may be working on graduating so they wont be restricted to pirtal windows.

Ya was thinking that as well. But wouldn't they have walked out and been announced on senior day? I guess it's not a must.

Advertisement
Ya was thinking that as well. But wouldn't they have walked out and been announced on senior day? I guess it's not a must.

Not exactly. Some could realize they can graduate in the summer session instead of fall and then transfer out post spring ball.

I'm with you though, theres a couple more guys on the roster that have been here 3/4 years that i would be ok with saying goodbye to if it means upgrading the roster at certian positions.

There will be more trimming.

I'd expect that guys on track to graduate in May 2024 will be allowed to graduate.

The second wave!!!!!

Advertisement
Back