Did we kick a field goal on third down?

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
I don’t know if this was already discussed, but when King got injured, it was second down.

The refs called defensive holding, but it remained second down somehow.

Perry came in and ran two plays, then we kicked a FG.

Was there ever an explanation why there wasn’t an automatic first down on the holding penalty?

Were there offsetting penalties?

Advertisement
Advertisement
If you read my post, this shouldn’t be complicated.

The refs called defensive holding on 2nd down, ergo we should’ve had an automatic first down.

Kosi came in and ran two plays.

Unless I’m missing something.
Just Google “ncaa defensive holding run play”

I don’t know if this was already discussed, but when King got injured, it was second down.

Was there ever an explanation why there wasn’t an automatic first down on the holding penalty?

There is already a thread on this:

The refs did not give the automatic first down because it was ruled to be D-Holding on a running play, not a passing play. I completely disagree with their misinterpretation, but that is the explanation.

@TheOriginalCane gave a good analysis:

Advertisement

The refs did not give the automatic first down because it was ruled to be D-Holding on a running play, not a passing play. I completely disagree with their misinterpretation, but that is the explanation.
My bad. We must've opened a new post at the same time. Race condition of sorts.

Okay, thanks.

So if King had thrown the ball away instead of scrambling, it would’ve been an automatic first down?

A defensive holding awards you a first down when throwing a pass.

If you run, it does not.

Apparently, thats a first for me too...

Okay, thanks.

So if King had thrown the ball away instead of scrambling, it would’ve been an automatic first down?

Essentially, yes. I mean, the refs were complete buffoons, so they might have screwed it up, but yes, that would have been the correct call IF IF IF the ball was thrown.

SUCKS.

Advertisement
The down and distance are always on the screen. Do you have like an old CRT 4x3 TV where the bottom of the screen is cut off or something?

Advertisement
Back