Did the Canes slide start in 2014 at Nebraska?

Advertisement
That Nebraska game was another in a long list of stupid losses by Folden & No D. Offensively, Nebraska had Ameer Abdullah then a bunch of Metro PCS employees. Defensively, they were a little better up front (Randy Gregory, Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine) but their secondary was BUNS. We were still in it late but choked it away with No D's sorry *** scheme. I wanted Folden gone after the 2012 K-State loss anyway

Our downfall started with Coker's **** evals.

Attended Lincoln and Manhattan for both losses. But IMO the LSU bowl game is what started the downward spiral.

Allowing the players to hire Larry Coker. That was the beginning of the end for this once proud program . Oh I know what some of you are going to say, but seriously think about it.

Advertisement
Its the GT game in 2005.

Not sure why people jump to the bowl game. We shouldn't have been in that bowl. Should have been 10-1, #3 in the country, and headed to the ACC Title game.
This right here. We beat the dog.**** out of VT in Lane Stadium at night and looked like a title contender only to fall flat against an average GT team 2 weeks later on home.

Its the GT game in 2005.

Not sure why people jump to the bowl game. We shouldn't have been in that bowl. Should have been 10-1, #3 in the country, and headed to the ACC Title game.

This is 100% the correct answer. Too many people are focusing on particular "games" and "scores".

GaTech game in 2005 was right after the "Seventh Floor Crew" stories were written by such notable scumbags as Pat Forde, who absolutely IGNORED an incredibly comparable issue with Michigan's team.

The Seventh Floor Crew scandal, and the ****-poor way in which Coker and others handled it, destroyed the focus and edge of our team.

It's the obvious break-point. On November 18, 2005, we were 8-1 and the #3 team in the land. After that, we lost 2 out of 3 games to finish 2005. Even worse, we lose 8 of the next 14 and Coker is fired. Think about that, we went from #3 and about to play for the national championship...to FIRING the first ever head coach in Miami football history...in the span of one year.

It sucked to lose some of those games in 2003 (including the Fiasco Bowl) and 2004, but by 2005 we had recovered our momentum. ****, even after 2005, Kirk Herbstreit picked us to win the 2006 national championship, though we quickly set him straight.

Seventh Floor Crew/Georgia Tech game. It took us 12 years to (briefly) get back to being a Top 3 team.

People forget that we were on a roll in 2005.

We open the season with a mistake-filled loss in Tallahassee, but win an absolute EPIC at Clemson, pound VT, and are humming like a V10 F250 dually by the time we play GT...then we **** the bed in the red zone time after time to lose a squeaker to a 6-5 team, at home.

It cost us a 10-1 season, Coastal title, #3 ranking, better bowl, and a rematch with F$U (that we probably would have won this time around, but you never know).

Stop fixating on the L$U Peach Bowl. The result was embarrassing but it was a meaningless game. The real failure already happened and the program has never recovered.

Advertisement
People forget that we were on a roll in 2005.

We open the season with a mistake-filled loss in Tallahassee, but win an absolute EPIC at Clemson, pound VT, and are humming like a V10 F250 dually by the time we play GT...then we **** the bed in the red zone time after time to lose a squeaker to a 6-5 team, at home.

It cost us a 10-1 season, Coastal title, #3 ranking, better bowl, and a rematch with F$U (that we probably would have won this time around, but you never know).

Stop fixating on the L$U Peach Bowl. The result was embarrassing but it was a meaningless game. The real failure already happened and the program has never recovered.

F$U game - we suspended three top-notch players (and 1 murderer), which helps to contextualize the mistakes and loss (and don't even get me started on those Labor Day Game abortions)...and, YES, I believe that a 10-1 (7-1 ACC) Miami team would have beaten F$U in a rematch, they were 7-4 (5-3 ACC) at that point, with losses to three unranked teams, UVa, NC State, and Clemson (back when Clemson-ing was a thing).

If we beat GaTech and F$U in the ACC-CG, we are in one of the 4 BCS games, most likely the Orange Bowl against Ped State, who needed 3 OTs to beat a barely-ranked 4-loss F$U team.

It started with Coker, followed by bad choices for head coaches and especially assistant coaches. When assistants drew low pay it was hard to get quality per the cost of living in Miami versus places like trailerville and trailerhassee. Seems like a small thing but was significant to those in the know back then. Compare the assistants versus all since JJ. JJ had the cream of the crop. Most of his moved on to be NFL head coaches. I wonder if he influenced teams as he did with speed per hiring high quality assistants. Bama is loaded with ex NFL assistants and look at those failures with each of our past head coaches...Richt and his son, Golden and Donofrio, Diaz and Enos...need I go on.

It started the day Butch left.
He broke my football heart that day. I forgave him later but we had an opportunity then to hire a coach that could have taken us on a run to rival Bama's current run. Butch left us everything we needed. More than what we needed. It could have been so different.

That is where we failed. This was the fatal error.

Nebraska beat Miami in the 1995 Orange Bowl in the Hurricanes last home game in the Orange Bowl during a period where Miami won 58 out of 59 home games. Miami had players like Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp and still got manhandled physically in the interior which led to the greatest college football dynasty we have seen with Nebraska within 2 plays of winning 5 straight National Championships.

In 2014 Miami finally went up north into the heart of these United States and got smoked by Nebraska in Lincoln similar to how Michigan State smoked Miami last weekend. Before that you would hear that the Canes would never go north to play football games and this seems to be true given the results and the downslide of the Miami football program since that fateful night in Nebraska. I have heard Nevin Shapiro betting against the Canes from jail conspiracies so I don't think this is too far-fetched.

I don't think Miami should ever schedule another away game against Nebraska. I don't think they will either. Even at the lowest point in Nebraska's history they would beat Miami this year. That is how bad Miami is now.

Wow.
Warren Sapp was flat out unblockable for 3 quarters until he got gassed. Most dominating performance I've seen. And he wasn't going against chopped liver either.

Advertisement
That **** hurt too.... Almost broke my celly that night
At the time, losing to anyone much less UNC was so foreign I couldn’t wrap my head around it. Chad Scott ran for 175 yards on a bad hip and Miami couldn’t make a defensive stop to ice the game. The next week Miami loses in OT to a terrible Clemson team AT HOME.

At the time, losing to anyone much less UNC was so foreign I couldn’t wrap my head around it. Chad Scott ran for 175 yards on a bad hip and Miami couldn’t make a defensive stop to ice the game. The next week Miami loses in OT to a terrible Clemson team AT HOME.
When rolle got mossed on that first td I had a bad feeling

Advertisement
Its the GT game in 2005.

That game crushed my soul. I always would yell and get mad during games but the ending of that game...I shed a few tears when Wright forced that throw to Olsen and it got picked. Who knew that was just the beginning of the misery that has been the last 16 plus years

Demoralizing was the final Orange Bowl game. Tons of hype and expectations and total disappointment saying farewell to the ole lady that had so many memories. Curb stomped 11-10-2007 48 to zip by Virginia. Horrible

Advertisement
Back