Did Shaq get the Chain?

Angry Ibis

The []_[]
Premium
At the end of the game...

Didn’t see it from the stands. Delete if already discussed.

Advertisement
wasn't it a forward lateral so the play was dead? or am i overthinking that.

there was a pic of him wearing it though so he definitely got it, just not sure if it legitimately counted as a turnover

At the end of the game...

Didn’t see it from the stands. Delete if already discussed.
Yes he got the chain
f31ac5a8ebd3c2970d6df2993d1c2c3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wasn't it a forward lateral so the play was dead? or am i overthinking that.

there was a pic of him wearing it though so he definitely got it, just not sure if it legitimately counted as a turnover

I was thinking the same as to the forward lateral, plays over.

Advertisement
I believe a forward lateral is a penalty that can be declined. I don't think in that instance it is a dead balll. It isn't a pass behind the line of scrimmage which makes it a dead ball. It's a 5 yard penalty and loss of down which I presume can be declined but there is no down on the kick off return

Advertisement
In Manny's postgame interview with DBJ on 560, he was saying that he wanted to review the tape and see what happened because he felt that Shaq deserved the chain, looks like the pic proved it for him.

Personally, I thought it was an illegal forward pass and a flag should have been thrown, but I didn't see one on the field. If there had been time left on the clock and it had been ruled an incomplete forward pass, then the ball would have been GT ball at the spot that it was thrown and UM would have the option of accepting or declining a 5 yard penalty. IF UM had intercepted the pass, they could have declined the penalty and kept the ball. Since Shaq was credited with a fumble recovery, it had to have been ruled a fumble.

Either way it was great hustle by Shaq as I think he was coming across the field fresh from having tackled a GT player on the sideline. It was also a good idea to jump on the ball because no matter what the refs called (pass or fumble) the game would be over.

Advertisement
Back