Did Butch have to deal with the issues with local coaches?

Advertisement
That's probably why Golden has gone out of state quite a bit, he has done an excellent job so far doing that. Maybe next year we should go hard after the out of state kids. Try for some SF kids and move on if they are not interested. The problem with that is, SF is loaded with talent, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sooner or later you will get the SF coaches crying that Miami isn't recruiting their kids. You would think the hometown kids would want to represent, some great ones do, those are the ones we should take. Who would ever have thought Miami would have trouble recruiting SF. The best school in the entire state and many locals turn their backs, go figure.

I agree with the OP. Butch recruited athletic speed guys who only needed a chance to be coached and do their thing. Period. Didn't matter if they were from the 305 - he found lots of project kids and coached them up. Ive yet to see anything out of Golden that is contrary to this method. He's giving local kids his best shot and if it isn't enough love for them and their coaches - what are we to do?

I'm not sure why most Cane fans are pitching fits over some of the prima donnas this year. We win some and we lose some. I personally do not want the ones that seek all this attention talent or not.....there are some definite headcases among them From what we know (or can surmise from recent events) - putting all our eggs in this one basket is not a stable, well thought out plan.

2014 and beyond...i really believe starting next year this BS angst still held by some sofla coaches will have less and less of an effect on their kids who are being recruited by a TOP FIVE RECRUITING STAFF minimum...also we will have the ncaa sh*t behind us finally, i think we still forget how much of a hamper that has been on golden.

we are beyond lucky to have golden...i cant imagine too many coaches who would have been willing to drop anchor and face these issues head on, let alone someone who is able and WANTS TO.

trust in Al boys. Tmw will be a good day for canes fans everywhere

Been saying this for years. The whole "State of Miami" thing is more myth than legend. Throughout all our best years, we had a LOT of kids from OOS. We had an OL pipeline from Canada, we had a good mix of kids from Oklahoma, Lousisiana and Texas, NJ, and then we picked skill position guys with speed from Florida and SoFla. It was a mix.

The idea that all we had to do was stack a class with all Miami guys was a flawed concept, and never a reality until Shannon came along. And Id say his experiment was a failure.

Advertisement
Been saying this for years. The whole "State of Miami" thing is more myth than legend. Throughout all our best years, we had a LOT of kids from OOS. We had an OL pipeline from Canada, we had a good mix of kids from Oklahoma, Lousisiana and Texas, NJ, and then we picked skill position guys with speed from Florida and SoFla. It was a mix.

The idea that all we had to do was stack a class with all Miami guys was a flawed concept, and never a reality until Shannon came along. And Id say his experiment was a failure.

I never understood why we stopped recruiting O-Linemen from Canada?

I'd hire a local recruiter in West Africa.

Exactly that's why I like what Al is doing (or at least attempting). Recruiting elite local players and supplementing them with oos guys like olsen, dobard, AQM...its kinda different now a days though because before, like you said, the local kids were mainly skill position players but now you can just look ahead to the 2014 class and there are elite prospects on the defensive line like khairi Clark, chad Thomas, and Anthony moten and on the offensive line like kc McDermott and Trevor darling all from here in south fl...heck even this year you have linemen like Denver Kirkland and Keef who are good, one can argue that the talent is even better now because now not only do we have elite skill guys in our backyard but also high quality linemen

Advertisement

I never understood why we stopped recruiting O-Linemen from Canada?
We figured africans would work better lol

That's probably why Golden has gone out of state quite a bit, he has done an excellent job so far doing that. Maybe next year we should go hard after the out of state kids. Try for some SF kids and move on if they are not interested. The problem with that is, SF is loaded with talent, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sooner or later you will get the SF coaches crying that Miami isn't recruiting their kids. You would think the hometown kids would want to represent, some great ones do, those are the ones we should take. Who would ever have thought Miami would have trouble recruiting SF. The best school in the entire state and many locals turn their backs, go figure.

I agree with the OP. Butch recruited athletic speed guys who only needed a chance to be coached and do their thing. Period. Didn't matter if they were from the 305 - he found lots of project kids and coached them up. Ive yet to see anything out of Golden that is contrary to this method. He's giving local kids his best shot and if it isn't enough love for them and their coaches - what are we to do?

I'm not sure why most Cane fans are pitching fits over some of the prima donnas this year. We win some and we lose some. I personally do not want the ones that seek all this attention talent or not.....there are some definite headcases among them From what we know (or can surmise from recent events) - putting all our eggs in this one basket is not a stable, well thought out plan.

What will end up happening if we win big is that the local kids will want to be a part of it and those coaches with agendas won't have the same influence.

Advertisement
Back