Diaz weighs-in on O-Line and first scrimmage details

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After drills on Tuesday, head coach Manny Diaz said he is still pushing to see more from his QB’s and wants to see them cut down on errors.

“Number one, I want to see who makes the least bad mistakes,” Diaz said. “And then it comes down to decision making and accuracy.”

With the Canes installing a completely new offense this spring, things have been hectic at times getting used to the new system, but Diaz says the install has gone according to plan.

“We’re right on schedule in terms of that,” Diaz said. “But that is so down the line in terms of priorities. Because the playbook is not going to save us if we don’t compete and play tougher.”

The Canes will have their first spring scrimmage this Saturday, and the players will finally be able to show the coaching staff in a game-like environment just who is willing to compete with toughness. The scrimmage is closed to the public and the media.

“I want more game accountability where, if there’s a third down conversion, the offense can stay on the field, and if there’s a stop, off you go,” Diaz said. “So, you really feel - `Man, we have to get this going,’ the importance of getting first downs, the field position even if you have to punt the football.”

Diaz said the plan going into the scrimmage is that all three scholarship QB’s will take equal reps, but there’s been no talk on live hitting in the scrimmage as of yet.

“I don’t know if we’re ready for that, but we’ll decide, will see after Thursday’s practice,” Diaz said.

On the offensive line, Diaz gave particular mention to the left side of the blocking unit (LT DJ Scaife, LG Navaughn Donaldson), as well as center Corey Gaynor, as those who have stepped up their game this spring.

“They know they can do it,” Diaz said. “This is the biggest thing we had to fix with those guys is if you get told day in and day out that you’re part of the problem, you’re going to believe you’re part of the problem. That’s one of the things about having a clean slate, everything starting over from zero. And then having a guy like coach (Butch) Barry who can really build those guys up into what we think they can be.”

Advertisement
Need someone with black socks on this O-Line

images.jpeg

Need someone with black socks on this O-Line

View attachment 82774
Jim Otto was a unique and extremely talented individual, in addition to being a Hall Of Famer! I don't think the black socks made any difference. It was the individual who carried those socks. At this time, I don't believe that we are even close to that kind of talent in our present OL. We are not asking for Jim Otto's excellence and skill set, just a front line that can lead us to a much better 2019 season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
After drills on Tuesday, head coach Manny Diaz said he is still pushing to see more from his QB’s and wants to see them cut down on errors.

“Number one, I want to see who makes the least bad mistakes,” Diaz said. “And then it comes down to decision making and accuracy.”

With the Canes installing a completely new offense this spring, things have been hectic at times getting used to the new system, but Diaz says the install has gone according to plan.

“We’re right on schedule in terms of that,” Diaz said. “But that is so down the line in terms of priorities. Because the playbook is not going to save us if we don’t compete and play tougher.”

The Canes will have their first spring scrimmage this Saturday, and the players will finally be able to show the coaching staff in a game-like environment just who is willing to compete with toughness. The scrimmage is closed to the public and the media.

“I want more game accountability where, if there’s a third down conversion, the offense can stay on the field, and if there’s a stop, off you go,” Diaz said. “So, you really feel - `Man, we have to get this going,’ the importance of getting first downs, the field position even if you have to punt the football.”

Diaz said the plan going into the scrimmage is that all three scholarship QB’s will take equal reps, but there’s been no talk on live hitting in the scrimmage as of yet.

“I don’t know if we’re ready for that, but we’ll decide, will see after Thursday’s practice,” Diaz said.

On the offensive line, Diaz gave particular mention to the left side of the blocking unit (LT DJ Scaife, LG Navaughn Donaldson), as well as center Corey Gaynor, as those who have stepped up their game this spring.

“They know they can do it,” Diaz said. “This is the biggest thing we had to fix with those guys is if you get told day in and day out that you’re part of the problem, you’re going to believe you’re part of the problem. That’s one of the things about having a clean slate, everything starting over from zero. And then having a guy like coach (Butch) Barry who can really build those guys up into what we think they can be.”

@Stefan Adams, great job. Has anybody watched any of the punters we have now yet? Who is punting in the practises.

I know Henley will be here in a few weeks when he finishes his bid at Pelican Bay, but in the meantime hopefully we have somebody that can kick the ball the some extent, I would hope. In case he gets injured or just doesn’t turn out like we think he is going to turn out

Advertisement
Jim Otto was a unique and extremely talented individual, in addition to being a Hall Of Famer! I don't think the black socks made any difference. It was the individual who carried those socks. At this time, I don't believe that we are even close to that kind of talent in our present OL. We are not asking for Jim Otto's excellence and skill set, just a front line that can lead us to a much better 2019 season.

Are you absolutley sure it wasn't the socks? Certain? Because I played on an O-line in college and our center was a huge Jim Otto fan. He wore black socks that stuck out like a sore thumb, as well as jersey # 00. He was all conference, and we blocked for four diffent 1,000 yard rushers. So can you really be sure?

TRUTH

Signed,

Peruche

Isn't it hard to punt in da IPF? I know it would have been way too low a ceiling four Feagles.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jeebus, I hope our starting QB isn't just "the one making the least bad mistakes." That's a depressing thought.
I was surprised by that coming from Diaz, thought that comment was Richtesque, even though it could be the proper expectation for this time in their development and preparation for Fall.

Advertisement
Back