Diaz updates QB battle, weighs-in on linemen

Advertisement
Love the approach at QB and clear shot at Richt. Everyone knew Rosier shouldn't play and he kept throwing him out there. When the team knows the coaches know. It will become obvious to the program who should start in a few months.

Martell is the most vocal leader. Jarren needs to step up in that regard. The team likes Perry but he needs to keep on the straight and narrow. Should be fun to watch play out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Interesting thoughts on the QB position (& how it’s looked at by the team) coming from a defensive minded coach.

Read between the lines: the QB is the leader of the team. Every team needs a #1 to look to.

Hopefully this team has one. We will see.

Advertisement
On Tate Martell: “Tate, he can make all the throws, has good zip on his ball,” Diaz said. “And from a physical standpoint, he gives you an element with his legs either designed quarterback runs or improvisation that makes a defense have to defend two plays. There’s no doubt he has good skills. All our quarterbacks are all being held to a ridiculously high standard by coach Enos.”

On Jarren Williams: “Jarren has arm talent,” Diaz said. “Jarren can make throws. In terms of getting better, commanding the huddle, understanding what’s going on, that’s just the deal. Coach Enos is very demanding, wants them to do it exactly right.”

this tells you pretty much all you need to know. - tate can make all the throws and can run and Jarren has a big arm but jarren needs to get better at commanding the huddle. just reading the tea leaves even though manny said they don't know yet so far Tate is QB1 and JW is QB2. obviously this can change after the scrimmages.
He was specifically asked about Martell and Jarren, in which he was simply answering the questions that were presented to him.

The second team offensive line has had a rough first few spring sessions and Diaz recognizes that Miami may need more depth at those spots. He intimated that they will evaluate everyone after spring and decide if they need to bring in another grad transfer offensive lineman. “We’re aware there’ll be another little bump of transfer activity after spring practice,” Diaz said.

What a great read...until the offensive line comments!

This is year 3 of me saying (paraphrasing); 'If the offensive line doesn't improve dramatically it won't matter who is playing the QB position as the offense will continue to be a disaster.'

Enos can be the second coming of Bill Walsh, but will end up looking like Pee Wee Herman should the offensive line continue to underperform.
I’m sure you’ve heard pee wee and underperform in your time

Advertisement
Love the approach at QB and clear shot at Richt. Everyone knew Rosier shouldn't play and he kept throwing him out there. When the team knows the coaches know. It will become obvious to the program who should start in a few months.

Martell is the most vocal leader. Jarren needs to step up in that regard. The team likes Perry but he needs to keep on the straight and narrow. Should be fun to watch play out.

Stop trying to be dramatic, coach diaz didnt get stuck with rosier, and was in the process of grooming perry, cade and jarren. I know you're not foolish enuff to think coach richt wanted to start rosier!

Nothing really new learned from Diaz’s comments. Of course he was going to compliment Tate, he selected him as a transfer QB, but that’s about all it means. I am sure Tate, Williams, and Perry will still rotate spots until after the Spring scrimmage 4/20. I think after the evaluations are done off of that game is when we will have anything resembling a QB depth chart.

The OL comment is distressing, even though unsurprising. There was little to suggest an upgrade on the OL or more depth. So far, I don't see much encouragement from the 2020 verbals. If the defense can hold opponents to 20 points, UM might do well. Otherwise, another mediocre season and bowl loss. Question: Is it the failure to recruit or poor coaching that has made the OL sub-par? Right now, the OL is the missing piece keeping UM from contending.

I think the previous coaching staff, in particular the OL Coach, that failed the offense miserably. From evaluations to practice I think he simply did not do a good job at all. I like the pick Manny tapped to replace Searles in Coach Barry. I think he will not only get the most out of our current crop of OL, but as well bring in talent that will show to be more athletic. He’s already showing us with the offers he’s extended that he loves athletic under weight kids who we can add weight to through the S&C program without losing their athleticism.

Advertisement
Back