Diaz staying for a 3rd year?

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
All of the usual suspect HC positions are filled for at least the next 2 years, so perhaps this will be incentive for him to stay, help Richt win the ACC and maybe even the playoffs before bouncing after a HC position. Waiting on the right job certainly helped Kirby S. get a plumb position as well as Muschamp, etc.

Advertisement
Pretty sure Diaz is here for as long as UM will have him - as the DC for now, and potentially the HC once CMR retires.

Advertisement
El Jefe not going anywhere...

This is was a dream destination for him & there was never any indication that this would be a gig he would leave early from...

Literally, the ONLY people that have even discussed Diaz leaving are our dumb ****** fans, that's it.

There's a reason why Richt hired him here & he wouldn't have brought him in if he even thought he would hightail it out after a few seasons.

Diaz is sticking around until we at least win the ACC.

Last edited:
Diaz could end up being the coach here one day after Richt. But who knows, only time will tell.

Advertisement
Why speculate on this now?

Anyway I assume he'll be gone if he ever gets a head coaching offer. With that being said he is not going to get a head coach offer this year.

It didn't take a defense genius to recognize that a balls to the wall 4-3 works with athletic Florida kids. Diaz did a good job of not trying to stick square pegs into round holes. He's replaceable though.

It didn't take a defense genius to recognize that a balls to the wall 4-3 works with athletic Florida kids. Diaz did a good job of not trying to stick square pegs into round holes. He's replaceable though.

You say that now till he's gone

Be careful what you wish for....

Advertisement

Within the past few years he was chased out of Texas and was ok at Miss. State. I'm not saying I'd be happy if he left because he did a good job, but let's not crown a guy because for one season he exceeded the ridiculously low expectations set by the prior staph. With the talent in our backyard, Miami (FL) should be fielding top 20 defenses every year. CMR hired a DC who would run the system suited for this program. Whenever Diaz leaves, CMR will replace him with another balls to the wall 4-3 DC. Not worried.

Within the past few years he was chased out of Texas and was ok at Miss. State. I'm not saying I'd be happy if he left because he did a good job, but let's not crown a guy because for one season he exceeded the ridiculously low expectations set by the prior staph. With the talent in our backyard, Miami (FL) should be fielding top 20 defenses every year. CMR hired a DC who would run the system suited for this program. Whenever Diaz leaves, CMR will replace him with another balls to the wall 4-3 DC. Not worried.

That was my concern when he was hired. However, his performance here this year trumps those concerns. The guy is just a great fit here.

That's the absolute truth right there. Couldn't have put it better.

All of the usual suspect HC positions are filled for at least the next 2 years, so perhaps this will be incentive for him to stay, help Richt win the ACC and maybe even the playoffs before bouncing after a HC position. Waiting on the right job certainly helped Kirby S. get a plumb position as well as Muschamp, etc.

"plumb position", straight up!

Advertisement
There is probably just as much chance as him getting fired in the next 5 years here (like at Texas), as there is of him getting a HC job.

All of this. Diaz has exceeded my expectations which were ridiculously low. I'd be disappointed if he left but it's pretty low on my list of concerns. Not to mention, he's from Miami so I think it would take a really good offer for him to make a lateral move. I don't think he is getting HC offers based soley on being better than D'Onofrio. If he is getting HC offers after next year it likely means this team finished in the top 10.

Advertisement
Back